StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried everything to fix the fueling issues of the Strom.
Decided to just let the tired pump die. It did.

After a LOT of research, I went with the Airtex E8229 for a 1994 Suzuki Swift car. Although this manufacturer has had quality issues in the past, they have an all new plant and bought all new OEM specs, now making top quality hardware. This pump has the best tolerances and also has internal cooling for the motor. Mechanic's price was $129 a Merle's Automotive.

Here's the swap. I'm not showing how to take the tank off.
If you can't do that already for basic airfilter maintenance, then you probably shouldn't be doing the level of work described below.
No offense, but this is not for beginners. Please don't blow yourself up.
I keep a fire extinguisher handy and my wife got my life insurance policy out of the safe, tucked it into her bra. She loves me dearly.

I set up a drain hose from the tank into a gas container.

Pulled the fuse to the headlamp here.

Used something to hotwire these two terminals in the plug that goes to the fuel pump relay.
Turned the ignition on and the engine run switch.
The pump ran constantly to drain the tank.
Turned the power off when the tank was dry.
Removed the relay hotwire. Replaced headlamp fuse. Replaced fuel pump relay.

Here's the bottom of the tank, which is on a soft towel.
My outlet hose may be different than yours, as I have performed the external filter mod previously.

Removed the pump. Was careful not to bend the float arm.

Removed the four wires, the screw to the short stem and the two screws at the top for the float/sender. Remember where it all goes, MoDaddy.

Pried here to get the assembly out of the base.

Pried here GENTLY to get the regulator clamp/cover off.

Pried here GENTLY to remove the inlet screen clamp off.

Pulled the pump down out of the filter assembly.
Removed the wire terminal cover and wires.

Here's the old pump and the new pump and kit.
The new pump is about 5mm shorter than the original. I don't care.

Used the small, fat O-ring in the kit to replace this one on the base.

Cleaned the inlet screen and put it on the new pump. It's a tight fit.

Slid the pump up into the assembly, aligned the outlet nozzle and pressed it in.
It's a different fit than before. Not loose, just different. I don't care.
The new terminals are spade, not post, so I had to change the terminal ends on the wires to the motor.
Put it all back together.
The big O-ring under the tank can be a royal pain to keep in the groove as I'm putting the pump base back in the the tank. I used foul words and curses. Applied liberally. Don't screw this up, MoDaddy, or it will leak gas down onto the rear cylinder exhaust pipe.
I set the tank on the bike and connected the hoses and electrical connector.
I tested the operation of the new pump before I bothered to add gas.

I put a little gas in the tank and retried the pump. It sucked up the gas and sounded normal.
With a prayer, I started the bike on the first try. It sounded very strong and revved instantly.
All back together, I took it out on the interstate.
It easily pulls past 8000 RPM now. Power is immediate.

New problem: the bike has a minor wobble at 120 mph.
Likely the giant car tire in back trying to push the front Marathon out of the way. I don't care.

Safely at home, my sweet wife put the life insurance policy back in the safe and tossed a copy of Travel & Leisure in the recycle bin.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Useful stuff that. I'd recommend using fuel injection rated hose clamps rather than the worm drive clamps shown in the picture, but you probably don't care. :mrgreen:

·
Administrator
17,402 Posts
Great write up, and great option and find for a new pump! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Nice write up and pictorial. Anything that has "bomba de gasolinia" on it has to be good

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Found it on Rockauto for anyone else looking in to this.
RockAuto Parts Catalog
Yep -- only $70.89 at Rockauto.com :thumbup:

Also, please clarify: Vee or Wee? I'm pretty sure that's a Vee, since you mention an external filter and 120mph, but you don't say which V-Strom in the instructions...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
All Vees and 2004-2006 Wees use the same fuel pump.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Great write up, thanks. Hopefully I won't need to do this on my 2011, I plan to trade it in for a newer model after about 4-5 years.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also, please clarify: Vee or Wee? I'm pretty sure that's a Vee, since you mention an external filter and 120mph, but you don't say which V-Strom in the instructions...
2003 DL1000
37,000 miles
Remapped stock ECM
Tall touring windscreen with Laminar Lip and Laminar Wings
Givi top case
Barkbusters
General Altimax rear tire 205/50/17
Metzler Marathon front tire
Stock drilled out mufflers (previous owner)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for this write up. Saved me a ton of money as my pump motor was bad.

But highflowfuel.com has the pump motors on sale on Ebay for $59 shipped. 818 574 3835

Much cheaper than O'Rileys or Auto Zone for $129

·
Registered
12 Posts
Fuel Pump replaced at 99,500 km

Over the last few thousand km the pump has only partially come to life when the key was turned. It took a flick of the kill-switch to get it to come to life. I cleaned up the switch and applied dielectric grease just in case. Not a long-term solution.

"FI" was lit on the panel also.

Bought a HighFlow some months ago in anticipation of a Winter project. Today was the last snow fall...I'm assured. So dove in, taking pictures in case, as I went. The photo log at the top of this thread was very helpful.

Total...2 hours. Probably 500 mL of fuel spilled on the garage floor.

It sounds like a different pump...but it seems to work just fine.

Thanks to everyone involved.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
2003 DL1000
37,000 miles
Remapped stock ECM
Tall touring windscreen with Laminar Lip and Laminar Wings
Givi top case
Barkbusters
General Altimax rear tire 205/50/17
Metzler Marathon front tire
Stock drilled out mufflers (previous owner)
pretty sure my bike is about 40,000 kms overdue for this upgrade, gonna plan this for the May 24 long weekend....

thanks Mo, anyone smart enough to run Darkside, is someone who's judgment I can trust... :thumbup:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Great write up! Thanks for all the hard work. I'm a little confused still, though. Do you have a picture of the insurance policy, in the spot your wife placed it?

Thanks!

:green_lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts