StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I put 1K miles on my bike since I bought it in June, and despite all worries bike is running as it should - I'm guessing. I have noticed one big problem with it, though. It always stears away from my workplace's parking lot and its breaks often stop working near the same area causing me to overshoot the parking lot and making me do one more circle around the block. Now seriously, there is one thing I want to ask. When I turn the ignition key to start the bike, the needle does its "dance" and the fuel pump primes, but it primes maybe a second or two after the needle stop. I have read on one of the forums here that one of the members was having some issues with the bike and they noticed the pump priming after the needle goes back to the start position. It this the way it should prime, or should it finish priming as the needle finishes it's run?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It finishes priming when the fuel pressure reaches 43psi. How long that takes may involve the state of the high pressure filter. I've never checked that myself.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Why oh why are you so paranoid? :headbang: First it was your chain, then the oil level, then the noise it made shutting off... Oh, I think you worried about clutch and transmission noise too... Now the fuel pump?.... Are you this way with everything in your life? Seriously, you're probably going to have a heart attack before something actually goes wrong with you bike... Do you not see this is you now and not the bike? Not trying to be rude here, but time to accept you are the problem not the bike... No go for a ride and relax... :thumbup:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have noticed one big problem with it, though. It always stears away from my workplace's parking lot and its breaks often stop working near the same area causing me to overshoot the parking lot and making me do one more circle around the block.
This seems to be a bigger issue here.

·
Administrator
13,381 Posts
Yes, my fuel pump runs for a while on a fresh start. It did it from day one and behaves the same with 62,000 km on it. Don't worry about it.

Also don't worry about asking questions like this. It sometimes is good for us experienced Strom Owners to remember how it was when we were new.. every little sound, or unexpected action by the bike raised a question. It's hard to know the answers unless you ask.

..Tom

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@D.T
Yes, it turns on as soon as the key is turned, but when is it supposed to shut off. Does it stop as soon as the needle comes to rest, or does it pump few more seconds after that?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you V-Tom. No, I don't worry about asking questions no matter how stupid they might sound. I do enjoy the bike and I can tell you that now since I know that the fuel pump pumps few seconds after the needle stops, now that I know that my chain is within specs, my oil at the correct level, the next question will be about the top box I am looking to buy. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
, the next question will be about the top box I am looking to buy. :thumbup:
Just saving you a future worry post here, now... All top boxes will make an audible clicking or latching sound when they open, close or removed/installed to their top plate.... Best way to tell if it is installed correctly is if it doesn't fall off while riding...:biggrinjester:

Your welcome...:thumbup:

·
Registered
194 Posts
This seems to be a bigger issue here.
Are you saying your bike actually allows you to drive into the parking lot at work? I have to trick my bike and alternate between the three different entrances in order to get my bike to allow me to park it for 9 hours while I work away.:green_lol:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@FZ - Thank you :biggrinjester: but I got used to the buzzing caused by side cases and buzzing caused by the chain, now onto more subtle stuff. :mrgreen: Yes, it does let me park at work, but something it will shut off the brakes causing me to roll pass the entrance like I already mentioned.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi folks. I don't know if this is the correct forum so please forgive me if it is not. I have a 2012 DL650AL2 which was left sitting for 11 weeks or so with e10 fuel in the tank. I bought a Kemso fuel pump but when the bike turns on the pump primes but it won't start. I put the OEM pump back in and it started perfectly. I was refunded the Kemso pump cost and bought an All Balls Racing fuel pump. Exact same thing happens with this too! I replaced the battery as it was showing 12.06v and I have had it since new. The bike has 55,000km on it. No change. The only thing I didn't do with either of these pumps is change out the fuel float wiring. I left the original wiring for the float in place but I used the fresh wiring and connectors for each pump otherwise. I have no fault codes at all.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please.? Also I obviously checked the tank for rust and discarded the E10 and filled her up with premium fuel.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Why are you changing out the pump if the bike starts with the OEM pump? I don't get what your problem is.

11 weeks with E10 (assume this is 10% Ethanol?) should not be such a big problem. My bike sits all winter (5-6 month) with 10% Ethanol plus stabilizer, tank full. Did you add fuel stabilizer when you shut it down?

Was there any excessive gunk in the pump external filter when you did your work?

Are you sure you had the polarity correct with the replacement pumps? Maybe they were running backwards.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The bike has been lagging under acceleration load but this only happens after 60 minutes of normal riding. I can't think of what is causing it so I am replacing the fuel pump. The bike never did this before I left it sitting.

No gunk in the tank or strainer.

I triple checked the polarity and the pumps are wired identically to the oem pump.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The bike has been lagging under acceleration load but this only happens after 60 minutes of normal riding.
Possible electrical issue, like coils overheating, or spark plugs failing under load.
You can spend a lot of money swapping parts if the problem is not diagnosed. If you suspect a fuel issue, the cheapest thing to try first would be a fuel system cleaner, like Seafoam.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks. a fuel system cleaner was my first go to. I replaced the battery too as it was holding charge at about 12v and not 12.6 or so. Still perplexed by why the bike now wont start .

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts