StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

I have the following issues on my 2006 DL1000 with 99,000 miles!

Fuel Pump Not Fully Priming

When I turn the key to "on" the fuel pump only primes for half a second. (Not enough to start the bike) so I turn the key to off and then back to on. Almost like clockwork, the third time I turn the key back to "On", the fuel pump primes fully, and the bike fires up... Very very occasionally I'll get an FI light when this is happening; I have always been able get it to start eventually.

Bike Cuts Out
The bike cuts out on me at least three or four times - every time that I ride it. It almost always happens after riding at high rpm's for a long period or generally when coming to a stop of any sort. I don't believe this issue is related to the idle speed. I tried setting my idle really high (1700) or something like that and the bike would still cut out.

Erratic Idle
I have attempted to set the idle three or four times after the engine is warm. I usually shoot for about 1400 rpm's, because any lower than that will definitely result in the bike cutting out. It'll idle great after setting it, but then the next time I go to start the bike the idle will be too low and the bike won't stay on for longer than a minute.

Sorry - I know that was a mouthful! I know there's a good chance these issues are all related to the fuel pump. My question is, what would be the first step in addressing these issues & do they sound separate or related?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best,

Julian

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The maximum warm idle speed it should be set for is 1300rpm. Connect the yellow/red wire on the fuel pump to battery positive and the black/white wire to battery negative for 30 seconds with a hose on the output tube leading to a container. A new pump will output 1200cc in 30 seconds and problems begin at 700cc. Fuel flow check

If the output is low, you'll need to take the pump out and see how it looks to begin with. The strainer may have fallen apart or the high pressure filter may be clogged. One workaround for a clogged hp filter is at External Fuel Filter modification

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,564 Posts
The fuel pump prime issue might possibly be the "C42" issue. There is a resistor built into the ignition switch. It is an anti-theft device. If the ECU does not see the correct resistance it will not turn on the fuel pump. This connection in the switch can get dirty/corroded over time and change the resistance. Usually toggling the ignition switch or kill button a few times gets it going. You can check for the code by putting the bike in "dealer mode" and watching for a code in the odometer display. The code for this issue is C42.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,564 Posts
The stalling after riding at higher speeds sounds like the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) issue some of these have. You cannot test it, you have to replace it.

This could also be the cause of erratic idle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your help! My bike has quite a few miles on it… I think there's a possibility I could have all three problems: gunked up fuel pump, C42 resistance issue, AND a faulty throttle position sensor!

Greywolf - thanks for the info on how to test a fuel pump. That is exactly what I needed & will be where I start!

Realshelby - thanks for then insight on the C42 code - I can't remember for sure, but I think that IS the code that comes up when the feel pump is being especially sassy on start-up. I run the bike on dealer mode all the time so I'll be on the lookout for that.

I had previously looked at replacing the throttle position sensor and remember it being quite pricey.. Hope mine's still good!

Will report back on the status of these issues as I address them!

Best,

Julian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts