StromTrooper banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I apologize if there's a thread for this already but I searched and didn't have any luck.

This is a question for high-mileage owners. Have any of you had to replace your fuel pump and at what mileage? I had to replace my fuel filter at 39,000 klm because I picked up some bad gas but since then I've had no problems.

I'm now at 69,000 klm ( ~ 43,000 miles) and within the next 10,000 klm it'll be time to check the valves again and a major service. I average 17,000 - 20,000 klm per year and in two years I'm planning a trip to the Panama Canal.

My question is this: is replacing the fuel pump a wise preventative measure? And if so, at what mileage should this be considered?

Any advice greatfuly appreciated
Cheers

· Registered
1,633 Posts
fuel pump

interesting question - I would presume the fuel pumps to work the same as in an automobile - in which case in-tabnk electric fuel pump failure has not been an issue on my high mileage vehicles

· What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,697 Posts
What might be the best solution for you to do is, take a new pickup filter with you, and a new high pressure regulator with you. To me, picking up "bad gas" in Panama, (or other rural areas), could potentially be an issue. You are fine right now, but take the spares with you.

· Registered
12,475 Posts
You are at higher risk of a fuel pump failure if you regularly draw the fuel level tank down low, causing the pump to potentially overheat and shorten its life.
service manager at my local dealer sez they replace suzuki fuel pumps more often than the other 3(YamHonKaw) and most often on cruisers, but they've replaced a couple DL fuel pumps

almost every time they ask the persons fueling habits, its consistent that they run the tanks 20-30 miles past a low fuel warning light

· Registered
2,389 Posts
My wrench said what randyos did almost exactly.

Have you priced these parts. You could buy a used bike for the cost of an OEM pump and filter.

First signs are cutting out at high RPM (above say 7500 rpm) and a whining pump. At least twice a ride I redline mine too check that all is flowing well. Once you get high speed cut out, you can still ride with less rpms and get off the road to help. Mine I rode for several hundred miles before I diagnosed a clogged filter.

· Administrator
15,260 Posts
You don't say what year of bike or model in your profile so this may not apply.

My 2006 DL650 had the fuel filter start to clog at around 130,000 km. It was first noticed by a drop in power at around torque peak, and the affected rev range got larger as mileage accumulated. It was accompanied by a whining noise from the fuel pump.

On the 2006 and Earlier DL650, and on the all years of the DL1000, the fuel filter can be bypassed and an external filter can be mounted. I did the bypass operation and now if the filter clogs I only need to replace the external filter at a cost of around $40.00 Can$. This can be replaced without any major work or taking apart the tank. If this applies to you then I would suggest being pro-active and replacing it before you go. My bike still has the original oem fuel pump with over 179,000 km on it.

..Tom

· Registered
335 Posts
almost every time they ask the persons fueling habits, its consistent that they run the tanks 20-30 miles past a low fuel warning light
Sooooo, it's a bad thing that I usually try to get 210 miles out of each tank and it's over a hundred degrees outside, and well into four bars on the temp gauge? :confused:

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks very much

Thanks for all your responses.
On the rare occasion I've run myself short and went well past the double flashing single bar but I usually manage to re-fuel while there's still lots in the tank so I don't think overheating the pump should be an issue. I may take an extra filter with me but I'll leave the pump as is and cross my fingers. Thanks again.

I posted a question about high-mileage highway tires in the DL650 thread. If anyone has experience with this I'd welcome your advice.
Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.