StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the fuel pump starts to go, does it take a while or does it quit. Seems the 05 Strom I sold to a buddy needa a fuel pump after 51,000km. Damm thing is over $1000.00 :rolleyes: We will replace it ourselves, but I'm hoping he can ride it this weekend without any problems :cool:

·
I rock at logic
368 Posts
Don't quote me on this, since it's been a while since I read it, but I think the pump in the 'Strom is the same one Suzuki uses in all of their vehicles.

You might be able to find it cheaper as an automotive part from an online
store.

M

·
0 Posts
I know that Stromette's mechanic used a feul pump from a GSXR 750/1000. You have to disassemble the unit to remove the pump itself but you can find used fuel pumps on ebay for around $60.

·
Registered
22,261 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
When the fuel pump starts to go, does it take a while or does it quit.
When Stromette's started acting up she rode a LONG way and it was still going strong. Hers was whining so the problem may have been domething different from your friend's. She was in the middle of a 4-Corners trip (as in right dead in the middle!) when it started whining. She finished the trip (Montana to Key West, FL), rode back up to Tennessee and hung around here a couple of weeks, and then rode it back to Phoenix. It was still going when she got it back home.

As Shep mentioned, her mechanic in Phoenix did use a fuel pump from a GSX-R to replace the V-Strom pump because at that time there were no V-Strom pumps available anywhere in North America, or at least none that anyone could find. The dealer's network showed them backordered with no known delivery time.

As I recall, Jim did have some minor problems getting the GSX-R pump to work but I don't know exactly what was involved. I can probably find out part of the details if you need me to check.

One thing that did seem to resolve her problem temporarily was some stuff called "Sea Foam". I have no idea what it is, what it does, or anything, other than it's some sort of fuel additive. Jim recommended trying it, she did, and it helped for a little while.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Here is the link to Stromette's thread on the fuel pump.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5099&page=31&highlight=Jim's

There should be lots of these out there from bikes that squids have crashed in the few miles they lasted before skinnin' themselves up.

This is from the thread:

This is Jim's reply (verbatim):

"The pump assembly from the GXSR had the same fuel sending unit as the DL but its mounting bracket was designed in such a way as to allow the float to swing fore and aft. The fuel sending unit in the DL swings left to right. Therefore the bracket that holds the fuel sending unit to the pump assembly had to be swapped from the DL's to the GSXR. This presented a problem where the wires that go from the fuel level sending unit to the base of the pump where not long enough. So rather than cut and splice wires (we all remember the TWA flight 800 crash resulting from chafed wires in the fuel tank) I moved both the bracket and the fuel sending unit from the DL's pump to the GSXR's pump then plugged the entire unit back into the DL."

IMHO it says a lot a/b a person who not only can problem solve but is willing to take time to share findings & results w/others (especially those of us who are "mechanically declined"). Thanks again, Jim, from all of us Strom riders.

Stromette

This is the way I would go too. This way you get just the pump like you wanted. And CHEAP!

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
After that last post, I realized I didn't consider that you might be in a hurry for the part. Then I would order a new one too! Sometimes the price of riding can be high. Sometimes the price of NOT riding can be higher.:wink:

·
Registered
22,261 Posts
That's Canada for you. My new rear Trailwing was $180.00+taxes. But we do have good beer and poutine. :-D

if you like moose pee ;)

the price difference in parts is a whole lot more than the current exchange rate would suggest ($1CDN=$0.958US) I don't have tax in NH :mrgreen:

Tell me about your fueling habits, I seem to recall reading somewhere that fuel pumps last longer if your tank is kept at least half full

for me, that's hit or miss, I ride till I get a flashing gas indicator, maybe I should change my habits and fill up every 90-100 miles (when I lose my first bar) instead of waiting till the tank is almost empty

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I seem to recall reading somewhere that fuel pumps last longer if your tank is kept at least half full for me, that's hit or miss, I ride till I get a flashing gas indicator, maybe I should change my habits and fill up every 90-100 miles (when I lose my first bar) instead of waiting till the tank is almost empty
Well I've got 36k+ on mine, I always ride until at least 180 miles, usually down to the last flashing bar and icon ~ 200-220...

I mean, what's the point of having a 5.8 gallon tank and 40+mpg if we're going to have to stop ever 2.5 gals and fill up? :confused:

I would think it's more from running the bike out of gas one too many times, or getting bad gas and/or letting it sit until it starts to decompose. The gas turns to jelly and clogs the pump, causing failures. One thing my bike NEVER does is sit with the same tank of gas in it for more than a week. The one time I ran out of gas, I IMMEDIATELY shut everything down (literally hit the kill switch while coasting to the side of the road) and didn't touch anything until I had a 2.5 gal jerrycan poured into it. Won't ever let that happen again, that's what I get for doing extensive PCIII testing in my garage and forgetting about it when tracking my mileage... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tell me about it, but then the bike is still priced aprox $2500.00 more here too :rolleyes:

I never once ran out of fuel on the bike (did ride till the last bar was flashing however, but still had a gallon left at that point) and since it had 27,000 miles in two seasons (before I sold it) you can assume it didn't sit too long either. When stored for the winter it was always with a full tank that had Stabilizer run through the system. Have no idea why it failed :rolleyes:

if you like moose pee ;)

the price difference in parts is a whole lot more than the current exchange rate would suggest ($1CDN=$0.958US) I don't have tax in NH :mrgreen:

Tell me about your fueling habits, I seem to recall reading somewhere that fuel pumps last longer if your tank is kept at least half full

for me, that's hit or miss, I ride till I get a flashing gas indicator, maybe I should change my habits and fill up every 90-100 miles (when I lose my first bar) instead of waiting till the tank is almost empty

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
In Australia it is known that too much ethanol in petrol will ruin fuel pumps ,now how much is too much that,s the hard question . The other problem is part clogged filter , the pump still works but it starts to struggle .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts