StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I had purchased some bad gas in NY last weekend. Bike was running pretty poorly. Did s 30 second fuel flow test (before the external filter) and it was doing great at 1350 ml/30seconds. That reinforced the bad gas theory.

Filled the nearly empty tank with know gas from a local station today. Still running bad. Back home I check the TPS and it was fine. Just out of curiosity I do another flow test. Now it's only putting out about 850 ml/30 seconds and sounding very weak and inconsistent. I have no idea what caused it to change between Wednesday and today, but it's not working correctly.

I really hate the idea of buying a whole new assembly. Has anyone actually had a pump die? Does this sound familiar?

I see there is one on ebay but it's for a K7. I'm aware there are different part number for K2/K3 vs K4/K5/K6 vs K7... Anyone know if they are interchangeable?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The wiring is different on the K2/K3 pumps is all. The mechanicals are the same. Has the problem come up since you did the external filter? It's not uncommon for the first external filter to clog very early in life as the crud in the old filter plus any detritus from the conversion can do a job on the new external filter. Later filters last much longer.

·
$Whatever$
1,599 Posts
When the pump on my 06 died it ran fine till it 5000 rpms then engine would die.. My tech did a flow check and it was real low....

·
Registered
237 Posts
Huh? The test changed by about 40% less output from one tank of fuel to the next. I suppose you'd better check it again. Sounds like your first measurement was bad or your second. It's entirely possible that it isn't the fuel pump or bad gas at all. Maybe you're chasing the wrong theory to explain your running problem, which last I'd read had something to do with the radiator.

·
38,104 Posts
Lot's of "professionals" will replace a pump with a low output when the only problem is the filter. Bearings have gone bad but it's rare unless the bike was run very low to empty a number of times.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a cleanable filter and it is recently cleaned. But it is not even in the loop on my flow test. Going straight from the tank outlet for the test.

When I did the test on Wednesday pump sounded as strong as always. Today it sounded weak and flowed much less. I rechecked the battery (power source for the test) and it's putting out 13v for today's test.

I've owned since new and bike has only taken 5 gallons one time. I've always wanted to keep the pump cool.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The wiring is different on the K2/K3 pumps is all. The mechanicals are the same.
Any idea if a pump from K7 would work be a plug an play in a K6?

·
38,104 Posts
Any idea if a pump from K7 would work be a plug an play in a K6?
It would be assuming each is a DL1000. DL650s got a different pump from all the DL1000s and earlier DL650s in 2007. 15100-06G10 is the part number for K4 and later Vees.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It would be assuming each is a DL1000. DL650s got a different pump from all the DL1000s and earlier DL650s in 2007. 15100-06G10 is the part number for K4 and later Vees.
The pump I'm wondering about is this one. Just don't want to buy it and find it doesn't fit to my '06.

I think you nailed it with the bearings. Late in the summer of '09 my bike developed an occasional hum/low pitch whistle. It was infrequent and impossible or me to track down. Last year it came back a little more often and again was not something I could identify. Then the bike started running like it had bad gas and I noticed those events were always accompanied by the noise. I eventually put my ear on the tank and heard it was the pump. That led me to trying the fuel filter mod. The noise stopped immediately and the bike ran better than ever. Since the noise was gone I speculated it must have been some harmonic vibration that was corrected when I took out the pump and reseated it back in the tank. Now I'm thinking it must have been the bearings in the pump.

The bike has never been run dry, and has only gone beyond 4.5 gallons once. I guess stuff just happens sometimes.

·
38,104 Posts
That pump is identical to the part your bike came with. Your description of the noise fits perfectly with the noise a pump with a stuffed high pressure filter makes. Bad bearings would not be quieted by a filter change or bypass. The typical noise comes from the regulator valve assembly.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That pump is identical to the part your bike came with. Your description of the noise fits perfectly with the noise a pump with a stuffed high pressure filter makes. Bad bearings would not be quieted by a filter change or bypass. The typical noise comes from the regulator valve assembly.
I don't recall seeing anyone who reported a noise when they were experiencing lower flow rates on the pump. But if you say it, I believe it.

I will probably get that one on ebay. Not thrilled getting one that I don't know the history of, but a new one is outrageously expensive. I've contacted another salvage yard and they weren't able to tell me the history of their bike either.

·
Administrator
17,219 Posts
You need that Yamaha........your wait has been ridiculous!!!!!!:thumbdown:

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You need that Yamaha........your wait has been ridiculous!!!!!!:thumbdown:
Only 10 months and 9 days so far...not that I'm counting.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would just get the 800 Tiger.......just sayin.:yesnod:
The shaft drive, standard ABS, traction control, link brakes, selectable sport/tour mode, 20% bigger engine and shockingly light feel all compel me to wait it out.

Not to mention the $1,500 worth of Tenere parts I already have sitting here waiting to be installed.

It will be my 4th Yamaha "XT." Guess I'm predisposed to being a fan of the bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts