StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This problem started yesterday as I filled up before leaving town on one fantastic ride. The gauge showed the full 5 bars as I left the gas station. About 3 miles down the road it was down to 4 bars. Thinking maybe air bubble in tank no big deal. This morning had to fill-up same thing again. I made sure to shake every bit of extra air space out of the tank. Anyone else run into this problem?

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Had something similar on Saturday. Filled up but didn't check the level then (well, it looked full when I locked the cap down). Noticed a little bit later that it was 4 bars, thought "huh?". Checked a while later, it was back to 5. Double "huh". Didn't seem to have a problem after that.

BTW, I filled the tank on the centerstand.

N

·
0 Posts
I have noticed that sometimes after a fill up it only goes to 4 bars. After a couple of miles, the 5th bar kicks in. Not sure why there is such a delay.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Noodle said:
I have noticed that sometimes after a fill up it only goes to 4 bars. After a couple of miles, the 5th bar kicks in. Not sure why there is such a delay.
Same here. Once in a while. The sensor might not get a chance to settle.
When I take off quickly.

B

·
0 Posts
I can think of at least 3 or 4 people who have seen this issue. One reported cleaning the fuel sensor fixed it.

Another got a new sensor but the problem reoccured.

Mine never reads the top bar anymore. When the 4th bar goes, I have used about 2 3rds of the tank

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. Just like everyone said comes and goes. Filled up the other day 4 bars drove home let the the sit over night. Next day 5 bars, go figure. This is one problem I can live with!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I noticed that when I filled the tank on my centerstand..the guage would act odd. Like the original poster..the top bar would mysteriously disappear quickly.

I had to remove the centerstand when I installed my new Wilbers shock and when I fill the tank now, I start off with the bike leaning on sidestand then raise it to vertical to top it off. No weird fuel gauge affects.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Ya know, I keep seeing 4 bars now, too. I never had this problem before this thready was posted - it's all AndyB's fault! :roll:

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm a programmer and this is something we would call an 'undocumented feature'.

My fuel gauge will often read full right after it is fueled (go figure), then drop to 4 bars after a couple of miles, stay at 4 bars for about 10 miles, and then return to full. It reads normally after that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I also have noticed this problem too and like most others I reset the tripometer so I know how far I can go regardless of what the fuel gauge reads. I tend to agree this occurs when I fill the tank. I usually stradle the bike while I fill it so I can keep it upright filling it to the bottom of the filler neck. That allows me to move the bike out of the fueling area as soon as I hang up the hose. The last time I had 4 bars showing after a fill I just turned the ignition off and on two or three times (slowly and patiently). It seemed to do the trick. The other times the 4 bar thing occurred it seemed to correct itself quickly most the time. Certainly no biggie though. If this is the biggest problem this bike is going to give me every once in a while, who cares.....

·
Registered
84 Posts
stromtro said:
Mine usually goes from 4 bars to 1, then does the flashing thing for about 80 miles. I can't stand it but the fun factor overides the frustration. I just do a wheelie to kick it up to 3 bars.

:roll: :D :mrgreen:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its not my fault

It looks like one guy out there is looking to tar and feather me for this problem. And I have never been able to keep my big mouth shut so this should seal my fate. About a week or so after the original post the problem disappeared and hasn’t reoccurred. Now I would not wish bad on anyone (ex’s don’t count) you know what goes around comes around. If you have this problem keep it, don’t want it back. Sorry guys! :oops:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts