StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am thinking seriously about getting a V-Strom.
what kind of real world mileage are you all getting and how comfortable is this bike for two up riding?

panick

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi Guys,
First time poster, long time lurker. I've got a '02 Strom that I've been ridding for about 9 mos. I've been averaging about 45 mpg. The bike spends the majority of its time on a 30 mile one way commute. I've never checked the milage on weekend ride but I'll bet its still at least 40. I can't believe the milage is so good on a bike that puts out so much power. The wife loves ridding on the back on the weekends. Her only complaint is that the seat material is too slippery. I'm going to fix that by either having the seat recovered or spring for the corbin. Other than that, we ride for a couple of hours at time with no complaints. And believe me, my wife is no trooper, if she was uncomfortable she would let me know. :shock:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you ever buy Givi top case for it, don't buy the back rest. there's
not enough place for it so it's useless. It's very comfortable like that
says my girlfriend.

St Germain

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
passenger comfort

I'm getting the same type of milage and my wife (she's 5'11) finds the back very comfy, her only complaints are 1.slippery seat (fixed on the 03 model) 2. she can't see over my head (on a Ducati ST2 she could) but she loves the bike. We just spent over 2 weeks touring and had no problems, and found it very comfortable.

St. Germain, I didn't put the back rest on (for our trip) because of space either, but I found that if you put the "L" plate on the Givi top rack (the front one) backwards, it gives you another inch or so of space, also the back rest when it's put on with the template supplied it actually doesn't protrude forward so it has no effect on space, my wife actually did find it much more comfortable though becuase it gave support up high and the dreaded kick back when we go over speed bumps don't hurt anymore, she's happy I put it on
:D

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apart from my wife's complaints about the slippery seat we find the V-Strom to be one of the most comfortable bikes we've ridden. :D Am planning to have the seat recovered in a similar material to the FJR1300 and altered in shape slightly sometime this year.

With a passenger it returns around 45mpg with mixed riding but I'd expect nearer 50mpg for motorway work (top gear is really tall!)

I have Krauser K5 luggage fitted. The top box cushion causes no obstruction to the passenger but is made from solid rubber and is quite hard. At speeds over 100mph it can cause a slight weave in crosswinds! :twisted:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everyone!
the local dealer here has a 2003 v-strom demo i can try.
lucky for me the shop knows me and i will beable to take the bike for at least a day if not two. this will certainly help answer my own questions.
the display v-stom on the show room is fitted with the suzuki saddle bags and rear trunk. ahh...these (givi?) arent good looking to my eye and the rear trunk seemed to make the passenger sit very forward. plus the saddle bags pushed ones feet forward! hmm...
other than this, the owner of the shop loves to tour (main bike is a Goldwing) but can hardly be pryed off the v-stom, haha!
will get back to the board here with my post demo ride impressions.
cheers,
panick

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I must really dog my V-Strom. My mileage is around 40 mpg and sometimes lower. My wife has plenty of room with the Maxia topcase which was a concern I had when I recieved it. I turned the L bracket around to move the topcase further back just in case but have not put the backrest on yet because my wife doesn't complain about the current setup.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Passenger comfort

I have the givibox. I made a couple of new brackets and moved the whole box back about 2.5 inches. It didn't seem to effect handling or any thing else. Now the wife has lots of room and so do I. Yes that Givi rest pad is like a rock, but she likes the security of not falling off and seems to find the pad helps in corners. I'm glad we got it :lol:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I put a scooter box on my rack. It's from a Honda CH150 and has a backrest. It's larger enough to stow a full face helmet in it, and has top access with the standard clamshell lid.

My wife loves it. The backrest pad does a great job. Here is a link to the write up I did:

http://howboucha.com/vstrom.htm

Brendan #653

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Octane

Put 87 Octane in tank today instead of High Test. Bike seems to run smoother??? Does this sound odd to anyone?

·
Registered
45 Posts
OCTANE

I read that because the bike is designed for the low test :) is has solved problems for others too

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
octane

Actually, regular fuel has more energy in it than premium fuel. A higher octane number means that the fuel burns slower, which is necessary for a high compression engine. I don't know how Suzuki is getting away with running an 11.3:1 compression ratio on regular fuel without some type of ping control. I guess they just have very efficient cylinder heads. :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'm back!
i was able to test the v-strom on a 60 mile strech of beautiful california coastal hwy. i enjoyed the bike very much and want to consider this as my touring bike!
one thing that really did bother me was the seat. i was wanting to sit slightly further back, right where the slope up to the passenger seat is. this is a very uncomfortable spot!! because i have long arms i felt too close to the bars other wise.
i wonder if the corbin seat helps this problem? or...slighty shorter bars?
my 5'9" son tried sitting on the bike with me and with the suzuki bags and trunk was way too cramped.
he felt pushed forward by the trunk and the bags positioned his feet forward too.
seems to me that the passenger position isn't well thought out with bags and trunk installed. i like the scooter trunk mentioned in the post above.
perhaps the german bags are better in this regard?
by the way, the bike handles really well in the curves and on the short strech of freeway i was on as well.
i really like this bike but am concerned that the first thing i will need to do is buy another seat!
also, i want passenger comfort so i can take two up touring for more than 50 miles with out stops!
thanks for all the previous imput and all others will be appreciated too.
cheers!
panick

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hello agian,
does anyone know if the backrest offered by Corbin works with the stock seat?
thanks...

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DL1000 mileage

I have a DL1000 V-Strom, which usually gets in the low 40's for mileage. I also have a Burgman 650 scooter, which typically gets in the mid 40's.
Both machines have tall windscreens, and I have Remus exhaust cannisters on both. The scooter has a Givi E52 trunk, and I typically ride the V-Strom with the factory trunk and a tank bag (I only use the side cases occasionally). So they are configured quite similarly.

I had a weird eye opener today. I took my DL1000 V-Strom for a 200 mile ride. I left the side cases at home, but I did have the trunk mounted. I have the tallest Cee Bailey windscreen. Conditions were very good. I cruised at 70 mph (indicated) on country 2 lanes - no traffic most of the way. No wind (rare for Nebraska). Slowed down once in a while to pass through small towns, but very little stop & go. Terrain was gently rolling hills and occasional sweeping curves, but rarely required dropping below 6th gear except for towns. I filled up at 160 miles, and I knew I'd done well because I still had 3 bars showing on the gas gauge. 52 mpg! A record for me, and better than I've ever gotten with the AN650 Burgman!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the Suziki hard bags. I used a piece of 1" rigid foam, cut it to fit in the gap between the hinges then used velcro to attach it to the "trunk" and used velcro to attach a JC Whitney gel pad to it. My wife loves it.
The Vicar

1 - 16 of 16 Posts