StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gang, just picked up an 06 650 on wednesday. have 260 miles on the clock now and my fuel lights still have 4 out of 5 bars lit. When I first got the bike, it was topped off, so 5/5 bars were lit however the 5th bar quickly went out. I opened the fuel hatch today and smell but can't see the fuel. Am i getting great mileage or is my fuel gauge inoperational? FYI i did have a magnetic tank bag on the bike but the bike was always started OFF the sidestand so it was vertical.
Strom On,
Alex

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Make sure when you turn the bike ignition on to let the dials sweep around and back while the LCD screen also cycles. If I hit the starter before the cycle is complete, I get false readings. You are low on gas regardless of the display.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
If it was my bike I'd find the nearest gas station...now. Thats about max out of a tank, at least for me. Expect to get about 60 miles for each bar.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My 650 wouldl let you go another 10 to 15 miles but after that your going to be pushing, find a gas station quick would be my advice

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
SmkyMtnVStrom said:
I would have to agree with everyone else on this one. I am getting great mileage with my wee and I usually fill up at 2 bars and have about 230 to 250 miles on my bike.
How many gallons are going in.......at this point? Both Stroms hold 5.8 gallons, I have a really hard time believing that you can go up to 300 miles on a WeeStrom, before "needing" to fill up. :shock: I went on a 300+ mile ride yesterday....I was pushing real hard and having allot of fun in the twisty's, turns and hills of Ohio. I filled up "1" time....and I was getting 46 mpg....I was VERY pleased with that mileage!

·
Registered
184 Posts
The gauge is very non-linear, but by 260 miles it should definitely be into the bottom two bars or so. Mine runs the first 150 on the top two bars and then rips through the bottom three in the next 100 or so.

No sense risking a dry tank because the gauge is screwed up... fill it up and see what it takes.

- Mark

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and so the teeming millions can be damned. I went to go to the nearest gas station from my house and wouldn't you know, out of gas as soon as a hit the end of my driveway! no gas gauge bars dropped, no gas pump icon flashed, no nothing! after a nice 4 block heave ho to the nearest gas station 5.6 gallons went in. I turned the key on, let it do its diagnostic routine and BAM 4 bars are lit on the gauge. WTF? So i turned off the bike, let it sit for a minute and then turned it back on, and. . .3 bars are lit!!! At this point in time, I was running late for work so I headed off, and the gauge kept going between 4 and 3 bars. I have no idea, I guess a visit to the bike shop is next, other than maybe disconnecting the battery? I'll assume, the float/sensor is stuck from shipping?
Alex

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sorry for your misfortune. Bad gauge obviously, probably the sender. There have been a few reports of similar problems - next to the 1000 FI glithces, might be the most common problem. When they fail completely like this, they're easy to diagnose and I'm sure the dealer will have you fixed up. Just wait until the 600 service.

Kinda unfortunate to hear that a bone dry tank takes 0.2 gallons less than advertised. Filled to the brim? If so, we should all start assuming we've got about 10 miles less emergency range than we thought we had.

- Mark

·
Registered
219 Posts
Big B said:
SmkyMtnVStrom said:
I would have to agree with everyone else on this one. I am getting great mileage with my wee and I usually fill up at 2 bars and have about 230 to 250 miles on my bike.
How many gallons are going in.......at this point? Both Stroms hold 5.8 gallons, I have a really hard time believing that you can go up to 300 miles on a WeeStrom, before "needing" to fill up. :shock: I went on a 300+ mile ride yesterday....I was pushing real hard and having allot of fun in the twisty's, turns and hills of Ohio. I filled up "1" time....and I was getting 46 mpg....I was VERY pleased with that mileage!
Big B,
The time that I filled up at 249 miles I put 4.6 gallons into the tank. I am a very conservative rider and not real heavy on the gas except when needed getting out on the road. I keep track of my mileage and find that I am getting at worst 48 mpg to 53 mpg on the wee.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What kind of mileage can I expect from a 1000? I just bought a used 05 & don't have anything to compare it to.

The first 3 bars on my guage seem to be pretty linear but it only took 10 miles to get the 4th bar off and the fuel pump icon flashing. I've only got about 160 miles on this tank. I was hoping to get around 200-210 miles in a tank but it looks closer to 170-180.

I was expecting a little better mileage than that. Could I have a float/sensor issue or does it just need to be cleaned and tuned up?

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
Prof._HH said:
What kind of mileage can I expect from a 1000? I just bought a used 05 & don't have anything to compare it to.

The first 3 bars on my guage seem to be pretty linear but it only took 10 miles to get the 4th bar off and the fuel pump icon flashing. I've only got about 160 miles on this tank. I was hoping to get around 200-210 miles in a tank but it looks closer to 170-180.

I was expecting a little better mileage than that. Could I have a float/sensor issue or does it just need to be cleaned and tuned up?
THAT...is a good question. Seems that the 1000's don't like getting consistent gas mileage, where the 650's are very consistent. :cry: Seems that I am one of the minorities that usually ALWAYS gets in the 40's. My Strom isn't stock, I have a remapped FI system and Leo Vince exhausts. But.....I keep it tuned up BIG TIME! Normally, you shouldn't have any problem going 200+ miles on a tank. DON'T rely on the fuel gauge bars...they are not accurate. How many gallons did you put in at 160 miles, and are you SURE that you were completely filled up when you started tracking mileage?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know it was completely filled when I reset the odometer.
I was going to fill it up tonight when I leave work and see how much of the 5.8+- gallons was actually used.

My last bike was a YZF600 with no fuel gauge - just a yellow light when it got low so using the odometer to determine my fuel stops is the norm for me. I just thought if they put a fuel gauge on it, the data on the gauge should be accurate.

Does the FI re-map help mileage? It's going into the shop next week for a routine service. I'll make sure the tech looks at the injectors.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Most stock 1000's get in the low-40's. 650's in the mid- to high-40's.

A remap usually hurts mileage slightly although a new pipe and a remap can sometimes break even or even increase mileage slightly by making the engine slightly more efficient. It all depends on the remap, but the typicaly remap richens the fuel, tliting the typically lean, emissions-optimized fuel map to one that trades off higher emissions for smoother throttle response and slightly more power.

- Mark

·
Registered
195 Posts
misc ramblings....

temp affects mileage on FI bikes. 6fiddy in hot summer gets approx 55 mpg, approx 45-48 during winter.

from triumph experience, use key to shut off bike. computer uses this to store various readings. must re-build info if kill switch is used.

also from triumph computer info, takes 3 complete warm/cool cycles to reset computer profile. cannot turn-on/turn-off, must be complete heat/cool cycles.

don't be hasty, new bikes need 1-2k to 'settle in'....enjoy the experience.
as always, YMMV.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
I will add my own musing to the thread...

I believe that the non-linearity of the fuel gauge is not the fault of the tank sensor (float?) but is due to the shape of the tank (wider at the top, so more gas per vertical inch compared to the bottom where it's narrower).

If it was a box shape, and level, it would be perfectly linear. Uncomfortable to hug with the knees, but linear.

- Martin

·
Registered
195 Posts
Martin said:
If it was a box shape, and level, it would be perfectly linear. Uncomfortable to hug with the knees, but linear.

- Martin
sounds like a girl i dated in college....tres uncomfortable.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Prof._HH said:

I get 230 - 240 miles before things start flashing

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I make the coveted dealer-warranty call. Now mind you, the dealer where i bought my bike is 57 miles away, I only bought from them because
1) they were the only dealership within 84 miles that had a DL650
2) they sponsored some of my CCS racing so they were willing to throw me a bone with a great price.

As wonderful as that may be, there is a dealership 5 miles from my house that sells/services suzuki. I called them to find out if they would be willing to honor the warranty and the guys says "yeah we'll honor it, but I won't like it" CLICK! hangs up on me?!?!?! needless to say I called the selling dealership and they were more than happy to honor the warranty....i guess the flip side is that it's more time in the saddle!
Strom On....with an eye on the fuel gauge!
Alex

·
Registered
22 Posts
I filled up tonight. Put in 4.3 gal and ran 160 miles.

That's about 35 mpg. Not quite what I expected. I was thinking I'd get another 10 at least.

I bought it used from a dealership. I don't know what the previous owner did to it. What could be causing the low mileage? How do I tell if the ECU was remapped etc....?

Any and all help here is greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts