StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the little fuel line between the injectors??is leaking again.I fixed this ( I thought!! ) about 6 months ago by cutting off the OEM clamps and putting new hose clamps on.It's now leaking again, I know this a fairly common problem so I was wondering how others have fixed this problem??.I tried to get the hose off but it's sooooo short that I think you have to remove a injector to remove it ????.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Sometimes the hose needs to be replaced. It can be done in place but it's a fiddly job. Other times the wrong clamps were use. Fuel injection rated clamps, not worm drive clamps, are needed. In rare cases, the leak is due to bad O-Rings on the injectors.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
What kind of clamps did you use?
From what I understand, the worm drive variety will not work.

I am getting ready to tackle this issue on my '03 the first chance that I get.

In the mean time, I let it run a minute (LEAKS), then shut it off for a few minutes and restart it (then DOES NOT LEAK). If I ride every day it's fine, if I don't then I have to deal with it in the above-mentioned manner...

When I went to buy clamps the chain store had a package of like 30 assorted sizes that you had to buy the whole pack!
I need to stop @ NAPA or similar...

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used the worm drive clamps ( what I had ).It seems to leak more at idle then highway speeds,and not all the time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'd try to get the proper clamps - i had a split in that fuel line and don't like any fuel on the outside of the bike when I'm riding it!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup it's leaking pretty good now.Can anybody tell me what size line and clamps i need??.I'm going to NAPA and getting everything so I can fix it this weekend.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Take the old hose with you. I fixed mine twice two. Fix one was just removing old clamps and using worm drives. My misstake, still banging head against wall.

Fix two, new hose and real high pressure fuel injection clamps. Grey wolf had a pic of one somewhere. I could only find them at an O Rileys store. Napa and autozone were no help.

Then I heated new hose piece (with clamps sitting loosely on it) to make it more pliable and it popped right on. Do not overtighten the clamps, they give a constant spring pressure when installed correctly. That was many miles ago, my head has quit hurting now.

·
38,103 Posts
They look like this, won't slip the worm drive and apply equal pressure all around..

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks guys,Those clamps look better then the screw type for sure.This time I'm doing it right!!.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hitting NAPA this weekend.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I put the bike in the shed last night after work so it would dry over night.So I took off everything to get to the hose ( could they put more shit in the way !!!!!:yikes:).The hose was falling apart so it was easy to get off,I took it with me to the auto parts store and got the new hose and clamps.I had to buy a whole assortment of clamps ( 16 in all )that was the only way they sold them,BUT they did give me 3" of fuel line for free !!.I tried for about 1/2 hour to get the new line on WITHOUT taking the front injector loose.I finally decided to take it loose and I could not get one off the screws loose,I found my impact driver and gave it a couple of GENTLE hits and it finally came loose.MAN o MAN taking that injector loose makes this job soooooooo much easier !!:jawdrop:.Got it all put back together and it doesn't leak :hurray:.

I'm a little concered about what I found in the breather area.I took out the foam to clean it and it had a milky slime on it,it looks like water and oil mixed BUT that breather comes from the crank case !!.The airfilter LOOKED like it was sealed good soo???.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Do you have the snorkel removed from the airbox? I'm interested to know since I don't have mine on and it's rain season here in Socal(if you can believe that).

To get a good seal on the air filter coat the bottom of the seal with a little grease.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Air box is all stock and it looked like it was sealed good.I made sure that it is sealed good now so next time I change filters if it is like this again I will know that it wasn't leaking in.

·
38,103 Posts
It could be the result of condensation in the crankcase boiling off. Check the underside of the oil filler cap. If it's okay, you're probably fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts