StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new rider here. I found a real Craigslist gem in my 07 wee, 65k and in good working order!

I've set it down twice while stopped while I've been sorting my feet out, and both times the front of the bike gets a good splash of fuel from somewhere. Doesn't seem like a good thing, but I don't know. Can't find anything in the search, so please enlighten me if you can. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I would think that there are a few places that the leak may come from. First confirm whether the gas leak is observed without the fuel pump running or once the fuel pump runs. Remember the fuel pump pumps at 43 psi, so any loose fitting connection / clamp could spray when the fuel pump runs / primes. The gas cap seal may be leaking (New rubber seal for fuel cap?). Or the fuel supply to the throttle bodies or the injectors may have a bad seal / clamp. Looking at 2007 Suzuki V-Strom (DL650) THROTTLE BODY FITTING | Cheap Cycle Parts, should give a rough idea on items that could possibly cause a leak. The fuel rail has been a complaint for some bikes that were in storage for an extended period, see #2 of Fuel leak continuing, any new ideas?.
Sorry, it is going to be a process of elimination.

·
Registered
450 Posts
the front of the bike gets a good splash of fuel from somewhere. Doesn't seem like a good thing,
When "the front of the bike gets a good splash", what exactly has gasoline all over it? With the bike up right again, what is the highest point on the bike that is wet with fuel?

I would agree with Gert's assessment. This will be a process of elimination. I would also consider (with the help of a friend), laying the bike down out in the yard somewhere (when the bike is cold and everything turned off) and then standing it back up, to see if you get that same "good splash" of fuel. You might be able to find the source of the leak that way, and doing so with a cold engine. If no leak appears, I'd consider starting the bike up and doing it again -- before it gets too warm.

·
Registered
303 Posts
It's possible that the tank was removed at some point in it's history--probably for routine maintenance--and the vent hose was never reconnected. That'd be my first look.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The leak definitely comes from inside the faring, somewhat forward and above the engine. It seems like one splash, not continuous, but I'll find out. The bike has definitely seen repairs by previous owners, so I'll start the process of elimination.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
It's possible that the tank was removed at some point in it's history--probably for routine maintenance--and the vent hose was never reconnected. That'd be my first look.
Agreed, although it's a drain hose, not a vent hose; it's mostly there to drain water from the cavity around the cap. There's a hole on the left side of that cavity that leads into a tube through the tank and out a nipple on the bottom inside of the tank. This is supposed to have a hose on it that dumps out below the frame. As mentioned, this hose often disappears mysteriously thanks to ignorant or sloppy mechanics or previous owners.

On a capsized bike, fuel can slowly make it past the vent in the cap and the cap gasket. The vent and cap gasket are not intended to or capable of holding back a tank full of gas, so leakage when the bike gets sleepy is perfectly normal.

Most of this leakage will stay in the "well" around the cap and then drain out the drain tube when the bike is righted. If there's no tube, then it'll end up on top of the engine, which can be decidedly sub-optimal for obvious reasons.

But overall, please stop dropping the bike... get some training, maybe?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Something else to maybe have a good look at, but you will have to remove the fuel tank for this inspection, is the underside of the tank. I found the underside of my K5 Wee fuel tank had a bit of surface rust in the top corner of the left hand side wing of the tank. If this rusted area was left to eat away over a period of time, may cause the tank to leak at a later stage. I was fortunate to observe this by accident when looking for the fuel tank mounting blocks, when I had the tank off. After an application a coat of rust resist inhibitor plus a few coats of spay paint for corrective protection.
Instead of laying the bike down, you could perhaps remove the tank and tip the tank on it's side to observe for any leaks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doesn't leak when the fuel lines aren't pressurized. thanks for the advice, folks! I'll update if I find anything exciting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts