StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to ride today, had the bike idling in the driveway, went out to get on and smelled gas?? Looked under the TB's and see drip, drip, drip...hmm? Looks like its coming for the 1.5" fuel line that connects the TB's. I'm in the process of taking all apart and have got up to removing the airbox.

Holy crap, can't believe all the stuff that has to be removed to get this far. I followed MS's stickys on removal and tank and all good. :D Have to remove RT side fairing to get to front airbox clamp and since I have Givi guards, its a bit trickier to get the fairing off.

This might explain why my bike had trouble pulling top gear on the freeway last week after a 360mi spirited ride.

Any input at this point would be appreciated. I'll take pics and report back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
here it is. Doesn't look bad, but it can be seen where the fuel stained the front fitting. Hard to tell from pic.

I'm hoping I can just remove the mounts to the top of the TB's (2 screws each- see in pic) vs having to separate TB's and go that route. Hopefully someone will post up with some thoughts. I'm in no hurry.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
If the hose isn't split, snipping off the the stock crimped clamps and installing FI rated screw clamps will usually cure the problem. The part that covers the space between the ears of the clamp is vital. Regular hose clamps and the stock clamps don't have it but the stockers have a smaller opening and usually work okay.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the hose isn't split, snipping off the the stock crimped clamps and installing FI rated screw clamps will usually cure the problem. The part that covers the space between the ears of the clamp is vital. Regular hose clamps and the stock clamps don't have it but the stockers have a smaller opening and usually work okay.

Hose looks fine but hard to tell until I take off stock clamps as you suggest. Seems to be seeping under the clamp/hose and not damaged.

Not sure what you mean about "space betwen the ears....stock clamps don't have....."

Thanks for the quick input.

·
38,048 Posts
I mean the curved part next to the screw shaft between the nut and the head. I guess that is pretty standard now. Just make sure whatever clamp you use is rated for fuel injection pressures. Screw band types won't work properly for example so don't try these.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the explanation. Noted about screw type not being suitable. I assume screw type doesn't provide equal pressure needed to secure?

Just checked Suzuki fiche to see if I could order the clamps and fuel line piece from OE. Ha! I see you can only buy the fuel pipe assy for $148.00!

Off to the auto parts store to see about clamps.

·
38,048 Posts
Screw bad types can't apply enough pressure or properly conform to the outside of the hose. Good pressure needs to be applied all around with no unpressed areas. Getting the right size is also important for that reason.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As I look at this further, I realize the stock type clamp still requires the hose to come off and also a special crimp tool for the clamp. I did a google search and found the clamp is "single ear step clamp". I went to a few local auto parts stores in town and no one has this type. I've found a few online places and will make some calls tomorrow.

Worst case, I'll replace the entire fuel pipe piece.

·
38,048 Posts
I wouldn't use a crimp type. The type in my first picture would be my probable choice and I think you can get it on without removing the hose. I've never replaced that hose but it doesn't look like a fun job.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok. I also see that type listed as ok for FI. I'll look for those tomorrow.

Thanks again Greywolf!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought the FI clamps that greywolf suggested along with the proper fuel line. Put all back together and it leaked even worse.:confused:

Instead of messing with it further and not having piece of mind, I decided to order the stock part. You can only order the fuel pipe assy and not the hose/clamps. Cost is aprox $150.00

I've not read where this type leak has occured. Does anyone have knowledge of this type leak?

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
I too occasionally (twice) have had a leak from that area. Once when the temp. was like 10 deg. F and then once a month ago after the bike sat for a few weeks. I was going to mess with it later this fall and try the FI clamps like GW suggested. Although since your bike is still leaking I might try the entire OE tube ass'y. One other person on this site or the other replaced just the clamps and the inch long fuel hose and that seemed to work.

BTW, on my bike the factory clamps seem to be put on very tight. The rubber tube is squeezed way up through the little openings in the clamp, that doesn't seem right. It seems way too tight.

I'll report back after I mess with it in a month or so.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I also noticed how the stock clamps were grabbing the rubber hose. I think that's just how those clamps work. Not sure what causes a leak to a bike with only 20k on it when we all know there are others out there with many more miles and ridden in worse conditions.

I'll report back when I get all together with stock part.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts