StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 wee with 25k mls. on the clock. I live in the UK but she's taken me all over Europe including watching the Doctor (46) get his last win at Assen.
My problem is, when I want to restart my bike after a run, she won't. I get the pump noise, both needles do the prestart sweep the engine turns over but won't fire up. To her started again I leave the ignition on throw the kill switch until the management light stops flashing and then she's fine, until the next time. Is there a tilt cut off switch that could be acting up? Any ideas please.
:(

·
Registered
11 Posts
If the engine turns over when you hold the start button it's not a safety switch of any kind. Almost sounds computer/electrical to me if starts fine after messing with the kill switch a bunch, even though it was turning over.

·
Administrator
13,391 Posts
It could very well be corrosion on the starter switch.

I don't recall if fuel pump will work without clutch lever being pulled in but if so that can be a weak spot.(If so did you drop the bike recently? A bent clutch lever can make activating the clutch switch dicey.

..Tom

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
There is a tilt switch that kills the engine if the bike falls over that prevents it from starting (can't remember if the starter cranks or not ... ). However that switch is being re-set if you turn the ignition of and on again. So that is not your problem. Could that switch act up when it gets hot? If it does it's a rare event. But not unheard of here that the tip-over switch does malfunction. Worth to do some more research about it or hopefully there may be some more helpful posts coming in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the engine turns over when you hold the start button it's not a safety switch of any kind. Almost sounds computer/electrical to me if starts fine after messing with the kill switch a bunch, even though it was turning over.
Hi, thanks for replying. I forgot to mention that it cut out whilst riding, I flicked the kill switch of for a few seconds whilst still goin along and back to the run position and it fired strait back up
It could very well be corrosion on the starter switch.

I don't recall if fuel pump will work without clutch lever being pulled in but if so that can be a weak spot.(If so did you drop the bike recently? A bent clutch lever can make activating the clutch switch dicey.

..Tom
The OP stated the engine turns over. It's not the starter, it's not the starter switch, it's not the clutch switch. Stop throwing out red herrings.
  1. Hi, I didn't think so either,
  2. She cut out on me going along, I flicked the kill switch of for a few seconds whilst still rolling in gear, flicked the switch back to run an she fired straight up again.
  3. There is a tilt switch that kills the engine if the bike falls over that prevents it from starting (can't remember if the starter cranks or not ... ). However that switch is being re-set if you turn the ignition of and on again. So that is not your problem. Could that switch act up when it gets hot? If it does it's a rare event. But not unheard of here that the tip-over switch does malfunction. Worth to do some more research about it or hopefully there may be some more helpful posts coming in.
  4. There is a tilt switch that kills the engine if the bike falls over that prevents it from starting (can't remember if the starter cranks or not ... ). However that switch is being re-set if you turn the ignition of and on again. So that is not your problem. Could that switch act up when it gets hot? If it does it's a rare event. But not unheard of here that the tip-over switch does malfunction. Worth to do some more research about it or hopefully there may be some more helpful posts coming in.
    Hi, thanks for your thoughts on the problem, I guess a bit of research is called for. I'm stuck in Spain an my Spanish is crapp :( will do more net fishing. Onwards an Upwards 👍

·
Administrator
13,391 Posts

1. The OP stated the engine turns over. It's not the starter, it's not the starter switch, it's not the clutch switch. Stop throwing out red herrings.
Thanks!
I missed that it always cranks normally.

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,391 Posts
@Geriatrichooligan

Next time you restart it hot try open the throttle wide open and crank it. It it starts the odds. Are the engine is flooding a bit and may have a leaking fuel injector.

You might also check the gas cap and if you hear the sound of a pressure differential ithe tank is is possible the gas cap isn't venting properly.

..Tom

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
@Geriatrichooligan

Next time you restart it hot try open the throttle wide open and crank it. It it starts the odds. Are the engine is flooding a bit and may have a leaking fuel injector.

You might also check the gas cap and if you hear the sound of a pressure differential ithe tank is is possible the gas cap isn't venting properly.

..Tom
What he said. Even FI bikes can flood. If the mixture is too rich or lean it won't fire up.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Yeah, I guess the gas cap doesn't vent. But the charcoal cannister does.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all you guys replying with your suggestion its given me food for thought. Will let you know how I get on for future reference.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
ALL bikes have a vent in the tank in some manner. It's required to allow air into the tank to replace the fuel that's been take out of it. If your bike is fitted with a charcoal canister it should be venting through that. If not it will vent through the cap. The vents do occasionally block up for various reasons. I've seen vent hoses with wasp nests in them or just mud from off-road riding in deep crap. Venting caps sometimes fill with dust and need to be cleaned out. It doesn't sound like that's the problem here, but it's not hard to check at least.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
You could check the vent on the evap canister. I assume it's a one way valve going into it? Or the evap system.

:unsure:

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
That's the drain hose. Open the cap and you'll see the hole where collected water goes.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Start with ensuring your battery cables are clean and tight, they work loose overtime.

Will it fire up if you open the throttle while cranking ?

Do you know the battery voltage ?

Do you use your kill switch a lot ? It is for emergency use only like the stand switch.

What is the management light you speak of ?

Do you have a chip in your key ? do you have another key ?

Have you put it in dealer mode and searched for fault codes ?

·
Administrator
5,386 Posts
My problem is, when I want to restart my bike after a run, she won't. I get the pump noise, both needles do the prestart sweep the engine turns over but won't fire up. To her started again I leave the ignition on throw the kill switch until the management light stops flashing and then she's fine, until the next time.
:(
So what is causing the management light to flash when the bike is turning over but will not start? Does it come up immediately - or after 5-10 seconds of rotation?
To me it seems like an electrical issue as it has been repeatedly resolved by simply activating and then deactivating the kill switch. Could it be an engine sensor fault? Can you read any fault codes?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts