StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've got a 2006 DL650. When I bought the bike, the service manager at the dealer told me to use premium gasoline. I tried that for a while, but then tried lower octane fuels and found that the bike's performance was no different, as far as I could tell. My owner's manual says to use gasoline rated at a minimum of 87 octane, and I've read other threads here that agree with that, so I'm confident regular unleaded should be just fine (not to mention a hell of a lot cheaper).
Looking back on my conversation with the guy at the dealer, the only reason he explicitly gave for recommending premium gasoline was that it will keep the fuel system cleaner. Was he saying this because many of the premium gasolines have detergents added to them? If so, and I'm doing without the premium gasoline, should I occasionally be adding some fuel injection cleaner to my fuel tank? And if so, how often?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Green

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have used Seafoam for many years in all my gasoline powered vehicles. I have not had an impaired injector or clogged carburetor in all that time.

Usually when I change oil, I put 1 ounce of Seafoam into the gas.

Works for me!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I always run what ever the vehicle manufacturer reccomends. So I run 87 in teh Strom. I also use Redline fel system ckleaner in all of my vehicles as well. I runa bout a 1/4 bottle in teh Strom every three months or so.

·
Registered
83 Posts
green said:
I've got a 2006 DL650. When I bought the bike, the service manager at the dealer told me to use premium gasoline.

..... should I occasionally be adding some fuel injection cleaner to my fuel tank? And if so, how often?
I think your dealer must have a good portion of his stock portfolio in petroleum companies. I'd use the recommended 87 octane unless that proves to be a problem for some reason.

As far as the injector cleaners go ... In all the years I've driven fuel injected vehicles I've never had to add special brew for cleaning the injectors. I usually keep my vehicles for 10+ years and not a wimper from thier injectors.

Mike

L

·
0 Posts
Heard arguments in both directions. Some guys have reported that higher octaine actually caused problems, so they went back to the lower octaine. The argument there is that with all the addatives and specific formulation our "modern" gas has these days, it doesn't last that long. I've read somewhere that more than 60 days in the dealer's tank and it starts to break down. And, since a lot less people actually buy the expensive stuff, it's much more likely that you are putting older gas in your bike. Therefore, the spitting, sputtering, and the like. These same guys then switch to lower octaine, which happens to be fresher beacuse the dealer's tank is getting filled up much more often, and the problem goes away. I happen to live in a part of Tucson where there are a lot of high end sports cars and bikes, so I think our higher octaine stuff may be a bit fresher (refilled more often) as I've never had that problem. But, if you live in a smaller town, or an area with a population that doens't go for much of the good stuff, then it is possible you are actaully doing your bike a disservice by going for stale high octaine. It might be worth aksing the attendant or manager where you fill up just how often they get your favoite blend reflilled at that particular station.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Use at least 87 Octane , fuel injector cleaner once a year . Buy your gas from a reputable station but do not fill up when they have had a delivery . When fuel is delivered it falls fro about 8 feet above ground level in the truck to about 8 ft below ground into the tank . The tanks have a LOT of crude .rusty metal ,sediment ,water etc. in them, this gets stired up and dose not settle back to the bottom of the tank for about 4-6 hours. Anyone who fills up gets a tank full of it, as fuel injectors need high presessure any crude can really affect engine operation it's a luck of the draw but as they generally deliver gas in the night it's best to fill up in the afternoon.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The strom does run smoother on regular than premium so I'll stick to that, no pinging and a lot cheaper!

My last bike (r1150rs) would ping it's head off on regular fuel, it was so bad I couldn't get past half throttle. It still pinged slightly on premium, many trips to different mechanics didn't help, also after 30,000k's the injectors needed cleaning even though I used a cleaning additive enery 5,000 k's.

Use whatever works for you.

·
Registered
852 Posts
dungee said:
My last bike (r1150rs) would ping it's head off on regular fuel, it was so bad I couldn't get past half throttle. It still pinged slightly on premium, many trips to different mechanics didn't help, also after 30,000k's the injectors needed cleaning even though I used a cleaning additive enery 5,000 k's.

Do you think there might be any connection to using air to cool the motor?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts