StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i fill my tank and let it sit it hydrolocs when on side stand.
Bike starts hard and runs like flooded belches out smoke with strong fuel smell.
this has happened more than once. I found fuel running in through vapor canister on right side of bike. any ideas.
2007 dl 650 I bought used 16k miles
please help

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Disconnect the fuel tube from the tank and see if fuel flows with the engine off. If it does, you need a new fuel pump.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
1 Hydro lock means the cylinder is full of fluid and there fore the piston can NOT rise as there is an uncompress able liquid in the way.

2 There is a small possibility that the pump / injectors are both bad which might allow fuel to accumulate... Probably not.

3 You say you have an evaporative canister. There fore the VENT of the tank goes through the canister. I am suspicious that you have overfilled the tank and real liquid gas not just vapors are going into the canister. When you start its sucked into the bike and creates the overly rich condition.
Gas in the ground is relatively cool like 50 F when its in your tank especially if in the sun it could heat to like plus 130 or so. This is a lot of expansion.

Next time you fill up leave it an inch below the inner tube in the filler neck and see if it stops

·
38,103 Posts
The vent tube may be broken. That would fill the canister with fuel. It would be similar to this Fuel overflow leak but it would dump fuel into the canister instead of on the ground.

·
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help I found some other posts that answered some of my questions. I can see the vent inside of tank and it looks to be intact. I have it running now had to take out plugs dry out cylinders and plugs got it started took awhile for it to stay idling I also siphoned out some of the fuel when I fill tank I never come close to the fill neck I keep it 2-3" below the fill neck. if I take tank off and take out fuel pump and sending can I see more of the vent system? again thank you for all the help

·
38,103 Posts
if I take tank off and take out fuel pump and sending can I see more of the vent system? again thank you for all the help
Yes. That will give you the best look. Make sure the cylinder with the vent hole is in place at the top of the vent pipe and there are no splits or kinks in the pipe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts