StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
13,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I left I noticed my fuel gauge was doing a funny thing. Instead of showing solid bars showing full it showed an individual bar essentially walking to the right. It kept repeating that pattern for maybe 10 or 20 seconds and then went to the normal full indication. It did that a couple of times in the 6 km left to home. Next morning it did the same for a bit and then back to normal. Hasn’t done it since.

As of right now I have about 79,560 km or 49,325 miles on it and have never seen anything like this. . I normally use Shell gas and sometimes Petro Canada but this station was Esso; and on rare occasions I have used whatever there is when I had no choice. . (I doubt that matters.)

Has anyone seen anything like this?

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually now that I think more about it I may have seen a strange reading for a moment after the last fillup (filled at my regular station.) I think it read empty for a few seconds or so after it was filled.

..Tom

·
Registered
833 Posts
It happen to me often right after i filled-up. Usually it stop after about 30 sec., but once it lasted maybe 10 min.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Sounds like a electrical signal problem with the fuel sender. Or how our digital guage interpets the signal. How high do you fill the tank? The old guages would send voltage to the analog gauge.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
All V-Strom fuel gauges use a variable resistor (analog) sender to display a series of LCD pips based on the voltage level detected. It'd common for a degraded connection in the fuel tank to cause the highest pip to disappear. I've never heard of a walking behavior before.

·
Administrator
17,093 Posts
You need to run premium Tom, don't you know that? :mrgreen:

·
Administrator
13,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
187 Posts
Bikes are exposed to the elements much more than many vehicles. In all my years experience I have learned to cross my T's and dot my I's by using a contact enhancer anytime I have weird non-specific electrical things happening. IF this problem is contaminated, corrosion on poor contact related I unplug, clean and treat the contacts with contact enhancer 22A. It works by creating a molecular bond between the surfaces.

This stuff was put to use by the military because of sand and dust infiltration. It comes in a cardboard tube with real long Q-Tips to clean the surfaces that are hard to reach. There is even a NATO part number on the side of the tube. If the problem is contact related I would recommend this for any and all connectors involved.

I am not saying I know the answer to your problem in this case I am just sharing good useful product knowledge that should be shared on this forum. It might be the "silver bullet" we all look for when chasing electrical gremlins.

Here is a link to learn more and order it up. Not cheap btw.
Stabilant 22 Contact Enhancer from R.A.L. Audio Services, pro audio dealers

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine did the same thing on my GLee. The fuel bars would continually start from empty and walk its way up to full. Didn't even have it a year so i took it to the dealer. They replaced the fuel sender, haven't have a problem since. That was 35,000 miles ago.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cycling fuel gauge

I have the same problem of endlessly cycling fuel gauge. BTW, there is another thread on the same issue. It is labelled "gas gauge cycling".

I had this problem appear on my 2014 DL650A at 6000km, and now 2400km later, it still persists. it has actually been very consistent - always on. My mechanic already tried disconnecting/connecting the sensor cable (?), and now he has ordered the fuel pump assembly, which should include the "fuel sender". I have relied on the trip meter and the fuel consumption figure, and been OK. But still, it is annoying.

·
Administrator
13,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
833 Posts
I don't think mine did it this year at all.

..Tom
Mine did it sometimes in 2013, after refuelling. It got back to normal after less than 1 minute, except 1 time where it took maybe 2 or 3 minutes.

It never did in 2014. Maybe something happened when removing the tank for maintenance...

·
Registered
865 Posts
Mine did it sometimes in 2013, after refuelling. It got back to normal after less than 1 minute, except 1 time where it took maybe 2 or 3 minutes.

It never did in 2014. Maybe something happened when removing the tank for maintenance...
Milenium bug that was 13 years late, and then realised its mistake? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
41 Posts
My just started doing this. 2012 650ADV with 58,000 miles.

I just parked the bike for the night and set about getting camp set for the night when I noticed the ABS light was on. I verified the key was in my pocket and it was still on. The light went out after I started the bike and circled camp. As soon as I killed the bike it came back on.

When I was cycling the key back and forth to try to get the ADV light to go out I noticed the walkimg fuel gauge.

After watching the gauge walk for a bit I disconnected the battery to let it sit over night to see what it would do in the morning. The light remained on even with the disconnected battery. I assume there's a capacitor that needs to discharge.

I'm up in the mountains so it's about 57F. There was a bit of rain, but nothing more than a passing shower earlier today.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
On my V2 parts of the ABS are powered directly from the battery.

The ignition switch plays no part.

Not sure if that helps but it sounds like you have water where you don't want it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts