StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Have you had a look at Fix for faulty fuel sending unit? and similar threads? The search facility on this site should help you find similar queries, posted by other members.
There is a resistance test that you can do, documented in the service manual, on the different fuel guage readings vs a specific resistance value. Often the fuel guage resister wiper, mounted on top of the fuel pump, can be cleaned as a short term fix.

·
Registered
14,440 Posts
It's a typical problem. The top bar is furtive but the other bars seem to operate properly on my '04 Wee. If you just filled the tank, you know it's full. It's after you've gone some distance and the bike sits for a few days you'd like the other bars to remind you to get gas...if you don't use the odometer for that.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
The fuel gauge is only there for your entertainment, it gives you something to laugh at on long rides. It really has little to no value for fuel management, at least on my '07 Wee. It will show no decline at all for about 120 miles, then start to drop rapidly. I get about 55 MPG usually, so I just tank up at about 250 miles on the odo, and it regularly takes about 4.5 gallons or so.

·
Administrator
5,002 Posts
I use Trip A for my mileage and reset it when I fill up. It is much more accurate.
However, you can try putting some fuel system cleaner through your bike. At one stage my top bar would not light up with a full tank and injector cleaner fixed it. It has worked O.K. ever since but I still favour the trip meter for accuracy.

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
I use Trip A for my mileage and reset it when I fill up. It is much more accurate.
Me too. I find the fuel gauge on a motorbike about as useful as a gear indicator.
As mentioned above, it's just the top bar that goes goofy. The rest are as accurate as they ever were and those are the ones that you probably want to pay attention to.

I've never bothered to investigate my fuel gauge gremlin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts