StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
How accurate is the fuel gauge on the Wee Strom?
It's good at letting you know when you're running out, which is the important part. It isn't linear. The top bar usually takes a long time to disappear though some units seem to think the top bar doesn't exist.

·
Registered
490 Posts
The point at which various bars disappear does seem to vary with inidividual bikes. When the last one is flashing I still have enough left to find a station, my friend is pretty much pushing the bike by the time it starts to flash.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Such a variance at the bottom end of the scale is unusual. I'd suspect an improperly set sender. It is a good idea to see how much fuel is required to fill the tank at various readings to better know an individual bike.

·
Registered
712 Posts
How accurate is the fuel gauge on the Wee Strom?
Not very. Mine doesn't budge for the first 150 Kms or so, then it's fairly linear. When the "Empty" flashing starts, I have 3 litres (0.8 USG) left.

·
Registered
15,612 Posts
If I ride a consistent moderate rate I get about 65-70 miles for the first each of the first 4 bars. Winking gas gauge still took 4.4 gallons. It's good to note at fill ups to get a feel for the mpg. If you have a head wind, get thee to fuel depot when it starts to blink.
Some guys are ham fisted throttle addicts and will get low mpg.

·
Registered
392 Posts
gas

Compute your average mpg (not what someone else gets on their bike) and set one of the trip meters and pay attention to that. It'll be far more accurate than a gas gauge. No excuse to run out of gas on a bike that gets 40/50 mpg and holds this much gas. I'm used to looking for gas stations at 100 miles, this is luxury :)

Actually makes it easy, I still fill up around every 100 miles, now I just have a much bigger cushion to fall back on if (when) I forget.

Also a little less painful to put $8 in the tank than having to cough up $35. Never thought I'd see the day that I could put near that much in a motorcycle. When I started riding I could fill any of my bikes for around one dollar :) (3 gallons at 35 cents a gallon, of course I made like $4 an hour too <g>)

Bill H.

·
Registered
244 Posts
when gassing up i reset my trip odo - then start looking for a gas pump at 200 miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Its lucky you guys don't live in the UK. I filled up yesterday on the way home from work, cost, £27.65 or approx. $43. The tank took just over 20 litres.
At the moment it is about £1.36 a litre in the UK or about $2.21 a litre. My car takes about $175 to fill up at the moment.
It seems to be going up every week.

·
Registered
392 Posts
price

I put just over $35 in mine a little while back, the price difference isn't as great as it once was. Oil price going down, gas price going up, something wrong here. Maybe time to buy oil company stock?

Bill H.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I can get close to 100 miles before the top bar goes away. At 200 miles, I'm at the half tank indication. Another 40 miles and the little gas light starts blinking. The top half is definitely larger than the bottom half. Keep track of the miles on the tank before venturing into territory where gas stops are few and far between.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've just clicked over 150kms after filling the tank to the brim for the very first time and the first bar has only just gone off.
Very different to the bandit I just left as it would loose each bar on the gauge roughly each 75kms of riding (far far less if riding hard with worst of 140kms before blinky warning)
I'll hang till the next bar goes and then fill up again to check range and go from there.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have learned that it takes about a hundred miles to get off top bar as well. However it does make a huge difference how much you pack it in the tank to begin with. The manual shows where to fill it to and that is where I try to put it. With that done, it gives very consistent readings. I have not gone down to the lowest flashing bar yet, but plan to on my next trip out. I can tell by consistent filling points about where the range will be but with a twenty to thirty mph headwind I got busted down to low fifty mpg for the first time, previously I was getting more like sixty mpg.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I don't know if mine will go 200 miles on a tank. My mileage seems to be in the 40's at sea level.
i've only got a little over 4k miles on my wee so i'm still feeling her out.

but so far in all modes of riding - my reserve bar indicator hasn't started blinking until after 200 miles (usually between 210-230 miles) - and so far the most gas i've been able to pump has not exceeded 5 gals.

i.e., i feel pretty safe with my 200 mile baseline for now - but would certainly obey the low gas indicator if it ever came on before that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts