StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, have 2013 DL 650 57K, recently fuel gauge has been oscillating left to right consistently regardless amount of fuel in tank, all other gauge are fine, suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
937 Posts
Possibly the sending unit which is part of the fuel pump assembly in the tank. That's usually the weak point of fuel gauges in general. If everything else is ok just keep an eye on your trip meter for fuel consumption, or look in the tank like the old days. Probably not worth the cost of repair, since there are other ways to keep an eye on the fuel level.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Clean the electrical connector from the fuel pump. I had that before and cleaning that connection under the tank (and adding some ACF50 inside it) resolved the problem for me.

·
Administrator
5,031 Posts
When my fuel gauge started not showing full with a full tank I cured it with a couple of tanks of injector cleaner.
BTW I have carried over from pre fuel gauge days the habit of resetting a trip meter with each fill-up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My fuel gauge on my '12 650 is doing the same thing, but my bike won't start. It just keeps cranking but never catches. My bike has unfortunately been sitting idle longer than was expected and therefor was not prepped for such a long hiatus from active duty (approx 8 months). Oddly enough, it has sat for longer periods before without any issue, but this time it only had a partial tank of gas.

When I turn the key to the ON position, the speedometer needle does its thing while I hear the buzz and associated electronic clicks and stuff. I seem to recall there being a second sound like a mechanical whine, which I do not hear, and I'm wondering if that could be the key clue to why the bike's not starting. If the fuel gauge strobing is due to an iffy electrical connection on the fuel sender, could the fuel sender be the problem? Is that the "missing" sound I'm not hearing?

No need to respond if you're just going to give me sh!t about not riding it enough. I already realize that and have considered selling it, but I still need to get it running again. Any help is greatly appreciate.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
You need to hear that whine, that is the fuel pump priming.

Could be a power to the pump problem but most likely the pump.

If the power is OK a fuel flow and pressure test would be next.

Have you tried opening the throttle while cranking ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
My 12 had a similar “no start” issue after the battery was removed for a few weeks. Solved with ignition on and opening the throttle fully a few times, then it started fine, seemed to need the full TPS input before it would start

·
Registered
58 Posts
You need to hear that whine, that is the fuel pump priming.

Could be a power to the pump problem but most likely the pump.

If the power is OK a fuel flow and pressure test would be next.

Have you tried opening the throttle while cranking ?
Okay, I don't hear the whine, so I found the three-wire plug that goes to the sending unit to make sure that power is being supplied, and both "hot" leads read 11V when I turn the key to ON. I guess the next step will be to pull the fuel sending unit and see what's going on there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
So +ve voltage at the pump, one wire is supply to the pump, one is the fuel level sender wire (a wire wound variable resistor) and the other a ground wire, could be the ground wire is open circuit. Or the pump has failed, its a 12v dc motor sitting in the tank that runs a fuel pump, no fuel pressure=no injectors spraying fuel. I have a spare pump/sender unit from my 2012.

·
Registered
52 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I also have this issue with the occasional bout of the gear sensor being undecided which gear the bike is in on my 2012 650 - would love a suggestion as to where on earth I find the offending connector (being a mechanical Luddite).
The gear sensor plays up when it’s wet ie in the rain and would love a resolution before a winter of wet riding in the uk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Britcat, the gear connector is just above the front sprocket cover, behind the frame triangle. A good clean followed by some ACF50 in there should see you right for the UK winter.
If you haven't already, I'd also recommend you lift the tank and airbox, and do the same to the connectors above the radiator including covering them with pieces of innertube to keep the salt water out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts