StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ran the fuel gauge so low that the last bar started blinking? I tried today, my indicated range said I had 7 miles to go, the last bar was not blinking but the gas pump icon was blinking. I filled up and it took 4.99 gallons.The tank hold 5.3 gal so I still had roughly 15 miles to go. The owners manual sez it starts blinking at 1.6 quarts, so I was really close. Basically when that last bar starts blinking you have to find a station quick!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yup - I've had the last bar blinking with the fuel icon. Makes you drive faster to the nearest gas station :yikes:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yup - I've had the last bar blinking with the fuel icon. Makes you drive faster to the nearest gas station :yikes:
Yep, I've had the bar blinking. The fuel gauge is a bit of a puzzle though, as one day I arrived at work in the AM with it blinking, but when I left that arvo it showed two segments.

One day maybe somebody will find a way to accurately measure what goes into the tank and then measure what fuel goes out. Only then will these things be really accurate. The first part is the hard one, the second is the easier one.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I ran mine to where it said I had 0 miles to go for probably 10 miles
If the fuel pump is cooled by the remaining fuel in the gas tank like it is on all previous V-Stroms, that can contribute to premature fuel pump failure.

I've had several fillups now but have yet to get the last bar to blink, I'm typically putting in 4.5 gallons when down to 1 bar and a flashing fuel icon...close 'nuff for me,

Sent from a terminal in the nurse's station when Nurse Ratchet wasn't lookin

·
Registered
888 Posts
So is it a useable 5.3 gal or total actual capacity. Seems there would be no point having the bottom segment blinking with only 10 or so miles left?
On my 07Vee it has a 21 litre tank but I think it actually holds 22litres.

·
Registered
156 Posts
...as one day I arrived at work in the AM with it blinking, but when I left that arvo it showed two segments.
I had a GW250 Inazuma a while ago. It used the same fuel gauge display as the one used in the Wee2 and the Beakstrom.

I found out it would show a quite different reading if you start the bike laying on the side stand, or if you are mounted and standing vertical. Even 2 segments apart.
In the zuma, the reading would refresh about every 40 seconds or so, according to my observations, on a very lazy Saturday afternoon.
Probably the same will happen in the Stroms.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Seems there would be no point having the bottom segment blinking with only 10 or so miles left?
Ah, but how many times have all of us tried for that next fuel fill thinking 'I can make it, I can make it.)?:yikes:

·
Registered
888 Posts
Exactly my point. I have done so several times on the k7 failing twice! But i at least knew I would get a minimum of 35km going hard!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
So, how many miles are you guys riding before you start seeing these blinking icons & bars ?

200 miles ?

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'll likely NEVER see 200 miles to a tank. I never check my bikes fuel mileages so I just fill up whenever I get low. I ride all back roads and romp on it a LOT!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts