Strom Trooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

1. The last few tanks of gas my full bar on my fuel gauge has been disappearing earlier and earlier. This last tank I got about 6 miles before it disappeared. I understand this is a common issue and no easy way to fix? I have tried running seafoam through the engine but that does not seem to have done anything. Any other ideas on getting this back to normal? something is clearly off.

2. I am a bit confused by the low fuel markers. When you get to the last bar, the fuel symbol begins to flash. Is this when you have 4.5L of fuel left? or does the last bar also start to flash? I've never run it down low until this morning. I figured it couldn't hurt to run it down and try and recalibrate the sensor.

Last bar solid, fuel symbol flashing - ?L of fuel left?
last bar flashing, fuel symbol flashing - 4.5L of fuel left
last bar gone, fuel symbol flashing - 3L of fuel left

is that how it works? Or does step 2 not happen? I have not put any fuel in yet, so I may chance riding it home after work as well to run it down even lower if that will help any? Would also be nice to get a handle on how this works just incase I ever do run low in a remote area.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
The pump symbol starts flashing with a solid bottom bar when 4.5L(4.8 US qt) remain according to the manual. The bottom bar also starts flashing when 3.0L(3.2 US qt) remain. The bottom bar does not stop flashing as fuel runs out. Its flashing is the last warning you get.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aww ok, I thought the bottom bar eventually went away and just the symbol flashed... good thing I did not test that theory out! LOL

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
The last few tanks of gas my full bar on my fuel gauge has been disappearing earlier and earlier. This last tank I got about 6 miles before it disappeared. I understand this is a common issue and no easy way to fix? I have tried running seafoam through the engine but that does not seem to have done anything.
Wow, your mileage is terrible -- I sometimes get close to 100 miles on that first bar!:green_lol:

Gas gauges are there mostly for comic effect. But if you want to fix yours you will have to pull the sending unit and see what's what. The float arm is apparently not calibrated correctly on the sending unit. I fixed the opposite problem (wouldn't go BELOW two bars) on my Vulcan by pulling the unit and thoroughly cleaning the contacts, but the 'Strom's sender seems to be a different type.

Frankly I wouldn't bother if I were you. Try to stay under 250 miles per fill-up and you'll probably be all right.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm at roughly 200 miles right now and the light is flashing already. I wonder if it's out of whack at the bottom end as well. I'll fill it up on the way home and see how much it holds, that will give me an idea on what's in there.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
I'm at roughly 200 miles right now and the light is flashing already. I wonder if it's out of whack at the bottom end as well.
That's not too wacky. You still have more than a gallon and that's good for 50-60 miles. Just for the record I once got to 304 miles on my '07, and that was with three full GIVI bags, a touring windscreen, and no real attempt at gas conservation.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The fuel guage on my L1 wee is overly optimistic. It takes over 100 miles of riding to drop the first bar. At about 180 miles it drops the second bar. That would take 4.0 gal US to fill leaving about 1.5 gal., max, remaining. Seems like I should be down to one bar at that point.

It's not a big deal for me as I have been used to riding an old Beemer with a 4 gal. tank and no guage. I keep track of mileage ridden since last fill up.
It's nice that the Wee has such a generous tank even if it makes it too top heavy.

I may mess with the sending unit some day when I have nothing better to do.

Sweltering in Eastern PA., hank2

·
Registered
705 Posts
Just for the record I once got to 304 miles on my '07, and that was with three full GIVI bags, a touring windscreen, and no real attempt at gas conservation.
Sounds like one of those punch line jokes. Um...were you being towed at the time? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Sounds like one of those punch line jokes. Um...were you being towed at the time?
Heck, no. This was on the Cassiar Hwy in Yukon/BC. The Dease Lake gas station that I depended on was closed, so I had to push on and hope to find a fishing camp or something with gas as I had a few years before. But no, the next open gas station was at a place called Bell II, and by the time I got there the clock was showing 304 miles and the light was blinking furiously. That was a real sphincter-clencher, because there isn't much traffic on that remote road but there ARE are a lot of bears, including grizzlies.

But I'll bet some have gone further than me.

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
I've always considered my Wee's fuel gauge as something to entertain me on long rides, but I don't use it to calculate refueling stops. I ride 250 miles and put in 4.5 - 5.5 gallons, and call it good.

·
Registered
564 Posts
:bom_gossip:
The fuel gauge I have found in my time of ownership to be more for reference than any real determination of how much fuel is in the tank.
top bar, may disappear at 100km or 160km
second bar usually soon after 200km as late as 250
third bar dissappears at about 320.
After 3hours or 300km I am ready to rest my butt. :green_lol:
When I commute, I do ~100km/day, I fill up going home on the 3rd day, but can push it 1 more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts