StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So in the last couple weeks, maybe the last two or three fill-ups of gasoline, I've noticed the fuel level no longer illuminates the top bar. The last time I filled up I paid closer attention and it showed full when I rode away from the pump but then after a couple miles it dropped again. I made sure the last couple times I had the tank full to the bottom of the filler neck, if that is the right terminology (about one inch from the top outer surface of the fuel tank). I guess the LED could be going out.

I checked for leaks and there were none. Also checking the MPG it seems normal.

Mine is a 2006 USA DL1000.

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.

-Bob

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
It's a common problem, no easy fix unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
4,291 Posts
The fix for me was to flip the tank over and remove the fuel pump, then clean off the contacts for the float. Then it worked perfectly.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fix for me was to flip the tank over and remove the fuel pump, then clean off the contacts for the float. Then it worked perfectly.
Thanks for the details. Looking forwrd to that one day :)

·
Premium Member
4,291 Posts
It's actually pretty simple to do, once you have partially removed both side fairings and the top bits, removed the rear tank bolt and raised the tank so you can disconnect the cable and gas line, then you just take the bolt off the back of the tank and it lifts right off.

I had a big chunk of foam to lay the tank on upside down, an old seat cushion would work nicely. A few bolts to get the pump out and its all there. You could do the fuel filter mod at the same time if it hasn't been done yet, or not, and check/replace air filter too. Also a good time to change coolant.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool. Just curious: what year was that bike?

It's actually pretty simple to do, once you have partially removed both side fairings and the top bits, removed the rear tank bolt and raised the tank so you can disconnect the cable and gas line, then you just take the bolt off the back of the tank and it lifts right off.

I had a big chunk of foam to lay the tank on upside down, an old seat cushion would work nicely. A few bolts to get the pump out and its all there. You could do the fuel filter mod at the same time if it hasn't been done yet, or not, and check/replace air filter too. Also a good time to change coolant.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Interestingly, we all have red DL 1000s. Mine doesn't read full either. It does not affect the running or fuel mileage or the readings at low fuel levels, so it's not a problem.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are going by the one in his photo, that is a newer model. I thought the same at first!

Interestingly, we all have red DL 1000s. Mine doesn't read full either. It does not affect the running or fuel mileage or the readings at low fuel levels, so it's not a problem.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Mine started showing the same behaviour a few months ago. It doesn't affect anything so I don't care. After a while you get used to your Vee having strange problems.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
My 2004 does the same, I'll fill up and with in 22km the first bar disappears. I'm getting 6.78L/100km (35mpg). I need to clean my air filter but that's a different issue than the fuel gauge. When i get to the bottom bar the gas icon starts blinking and i can put 14-16 litres in so i effectively still have about 1/3 of the total tank when i'm down to 1 bar (granted I never actually want to empty that tank while riding it). This is a minor issue so it can wait until winter maintenance.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
You need to take the fuel pump out and clean the contacts of the slider for the float. It is a little spring loaded contact thing that you need to clean and bend the spring loaded part to give better contact. You will see when you take it apart that the spring contact moves across a number of small electrical bars (almost like piano keys) that give the resistance for the correct readings., if they are dirty you will not get the correct readings.

·
Registered
66 Posts
As fuel pumps get older:

Many riders with older (or newer high mileage) Stroms have discovered "dirty gasoline" somewhere along the way. There are a couple of fixes frequently discussed in this forum. One is replacing the fuel pump - $450 or so. Another is drilling a bypass in the fuel pump housing and installing an external fuel filter.

But if you periodically take your bike apart for maintenance just pull the pump and clean the filter mesh and the pump well. While you're at it, clean the electronic indicator slider bar with a pencil eraser. It will probably get that elusive top bar back for a while.

A note of caution: there are some small, easily breakable parts in this chore.

I've got an '05 650 and an '07 1000. Both get 20K miles a year. Every two years their fuel pumps get a cleaning. It's amazing how much "stuff" they get in the tank.

The service manual is a very good guide for this two hour job.

It's a fix well worth the trouble as it will add tens of thousands of miles.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I've been cursed and threatened for using this stuff but it does work.
See this post: http://www.stromtrooper.com/2721657-post7.html

The top bar of the fuel gauge will indeed stay lit longer after this stuff cleans the crud off the sensor wiper.
But be forewarned... Adding anything to your oil or gasoline and then boasting about it in a moto or auto forum has a tendency to generate quite a bit of negative publicity.
Just saying.
It's safe and it works but be prepared for posts & PM's warning you of the dire consequences and how even a cap-full could seize the engine. :yesnod:
<yeah, go figure>

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I've been cursed and threatened for using this stuff but it does work.
See this post: http://www.stromtrooper.com/2721657-post7.html

The top bar of the fuel gauge will indeed stay lit longer after this stuff cleans the crud off the sensor wiper.
But be forewarned... Adding anything to your oil or gasoline and then boasting about it in a moto or auto forum has a tendency to generate quite a bit of negative publicity.
Just saying.
It's safe and it works but be prepared for posts & PM's warning you of the dire consequences and how even a cap-full could seize the engine. :yesnod:
<yeah, go figure>
I understand certain gas stations have that stuff in the gas

·
Registered
60 Posts
It sounds like you are getting a full tank if your MPGs aren't dropping but if you have a center stand always put in on that when you fill up. It seems stupid but it actually helps.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts