StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the recommendation on fuel filter replacement intervals? From what I can tell, there is only one and it sits on top of the fuel pump. Bike Bandit wants 293 bucks for that bad boy. :jawdrop:

·
Administrator
13,808 Posts
Lookup "fuel filter bypass". You can put an external fuel filter and bypass the internal one. The external one wil cost less than $50. if you don't find it here, look for it on VSRI.

If you start seeing a flat spot as you go through the rev range (probably at the rpm that corresponds to the point of highest torque,) and the rev range that this flat spot occurs starts getting larger, then that is when you will need to replace it.

..Tom

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help! I've got the tank off now as I'm cleaning the air filter and replacing the plugs. Sounds like a good time to pull the fuel pump and grab a drill bit.

Ride smart!

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Mine started acting up at around 60,000 miles, and others have reported the fuel filter clogging as early as 30K.

The bypass filter is definitely a very worthwhile modification, and it was quite easy. Mine doesn't seem to get in the way of anything. I have it mounted using zip ties, so I have to replace two of these if I have to move the filter for some reason. Not a big deal.

Make sure you get hose and clamps rated for fuel injection use -- for some reason, most parts monkeys will have no idea what you're asking for.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I accidentally posted this in the regional section, so I thought I should re-post where it might be better seen.

I did the mod yesterday and today, because I didn't have all the stuff yesterday. You guys that can do this in an hour or so sure are fast with the wrench, not that is it super difficult.

Anyway, I have two questions. First, after coming back from the part store and starting back on the project, I noticed my gas tank had fallen over on the painted side (grrr!) and the pump assembly base which was just covering the hole fell on the floor. There was an orange piece of mesh cloth (the diagram is part no. 10 and calls it "sheet") that fell out, only I did not know what it was at the moment. I literally thought it was trash the wind had blown in my garage. Needless to say, the bike is put back together without that cloth sheet. Is that going to be an issue?

Second and more concerning, once I had my hose cut and put on the plastic fitting, I realized it was a tad long. When I pulled the hose back off the plastic fitting, I saw that a small section of the green gasket was broke off. Is the fitting going to leak? Any advice would really be appreciated. I'd rather take care of it now before I fill the tank again.

BTW, I had no rust and hardly any junk on the pre-filter at 56,000 miles. I only did the mod because the pump was squealing.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I accidentally posted this in the regional section, so I thought I should re-post where it might be better seen.

I did the mod yesterday and today, because I didn't have all the stuff yesterday. You guys that can do this in an hour or so sure are fast with the wrench, not that is it super difficult.

Anyway, I have two questions. First, after coming back from the part store and starting back on the project, I noticed my gas tank had fallen over on the painted side (grrr!) and the pump assembly base which was just covering the hole fell on the floor. There was an orange piece of mesh cloth (the diagram is part no. 10 and calls it "sheet") that fell out, only I did not know what it was at the moment. I literally thought it was trash the wind had blown in my garage. Needless to say, the bike is put back together without that cloth sheet. Is that going to be an issue?

Second and more concerning, once I had my hose cut and put on the plastic fitting, I realized it was a tad long. When I pulled the hose back off the plastic fitting, I saw that a small section of the green gasket was broke off. Is the fitting going to leak? Any advice would really be appreciated. I'd rather take care of it now before I fill the tank again.

BTW, I had no rust and hardly any junk on the pre-filter at 56,000 miles. I only did the mod because the pump was squealing.
I did the bypass on my 03V a while back and ruined both o rings. I put it together without them and it didn't leak (I used the FI clamps). I don't know about the orange mesh cloth.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I did the bypass on my 03V a while back and ruined both o rings. I put it together without them and it didn't leak (I used the FI clamps). I don't know about the orange mesh cloth.
Thanks. I also used FI rated clamps. I found a used hose tonight on eBay for $8.99 just in case. I was thinking to maybe put the hose on the tank without the quick connect if I had to before I saw the used hose. Hopefully, someone will know whether the orange mesh is actually necessary.

I am also wondering about something else I read on the original thread on VSRI. A couple people mentioned that after doing the mod, fuel runs freely from the tank if the quick connect is pulled off. If so, how are people doing maintenance that involves removing the tank?

·
Registered
663 Posts
John,

The 'orange' mesh was actually white-ish after I soaked it in techron and blew it off. I had rust chips in my
K2 tank. That mesh is probably to protect the fuel pump from bits large enough to damage it. It's probably
a good idea to replace it, if only with a mesh bag of the universal type fitted to lawnmowers/small engines.

I don't get freely running fuel when removing the quick connect from the tank except from the new hose if
I don't keep it propped up.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
The mesh is a pre-filter and needs to be replaced. From typical experience the OEM filter will go around 50,000 to 60,000 miles. You can do a bypass or just order a new filter, pay the approx $240, and be done with it.

I would carefully inspect my tank for any rust before either replacing the OEM filter or doing the surgery required to bypass the stock filter and use something from the aftermarket.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
You can do a bypass or just order a new filter, pay the approx $240, and be done with it.
Thanks guys. Scott, I already performed the surgery, so I'll have to take the unit out an put the mesh in. Not too big of a deal. I have some doubt about whether I hooked up the wiring correctly, so I have to remove it anyway just to be safe. I'll probably hold the record for taking the longest to do this mod. After reading the whole thread on VSRI, I was leaning towards just using a stock filter and being done with it because in all likelihood, I won't still have the bike before a second stock filter goes bad. Plus, it seemed like there were side-effects of doing the bypass. Lots of bills lately, so I changed my mind. I am up to about $30 on it, including a spare stock hose.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Don't want to go down (or is it up) in flames

Well,

I finished the fuel filter mod finally after three months. All looks good and no leaks, but I do have an important concern. Where the hose goes on to the inlet side of the filter, I can twist the hose around on the metal tube, even with the clamp tightened down. I used 5/16" FI rated hose and clamps, and the other fittings seem to be tight, especially the plastic quick-connect ones. The outlet from the fuel filter seems to be tight, because when I twist the filter a little, the hose seems to move with it. As I said, there are no leaks and I even changed the first clamp to a smaller size.

Is this safe? Why is the hose able to spin around on the metal tubing. Granted, if I don't attempt to turn it, it seems like it's not going to move, but I thought the clamp would make it real tight. Don't want to flame-out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I always change mine every 50,000 miles. Because I believe the earlier the better and will surely avoid any problem. I only use OEM replacement parts no need for any other performance or aftermarket brand for this certain part.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I always change mine every 50,000 miles. Because I believe the earlier the better and will surely avoid any problem. I only use OEM replacement parts no need for any other performance or aftermarket brand for this certain part.
I hear ya, V_Rider. I go back and forth on this. As I just finished it today, I want to be able to take it out for a ride. It's been over three months and we have had some warm days that I have missed. I just want to know if this external mod is going to be safe!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've got about +70,000 miles on the external mod and there have been no problems. just ride all is good.

Reactions: Langly

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I've got about +70,000 miles on the external mod and there have been no problems. just ride all is good.
I know the mod is safe in general, I just can't figure out why the hose can easily be spun by hand with the clamp tightened. It seems that it should not move. I'm not using a ton of force. That said, it isn't leaking either while the bike is running. And I guess the 43psi is the same at idle as at open throttle. Im just afraid a hose I can twist on the tubing could leak on me.

·
Premium Member
2,814 Posts
Mine spins some too. 2000 miles an no leaks. Like Wera says "Ride more- worry less".

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
ok, thanks. I was just hoping that someone could confirm the clamp connection as described was either safe or not.
No, it is not safe. Do you really want to risk fuel spraying onto a hot engine inches from your crotch? Pull on the hose -- I bet it will come off pretty easily.

You'll notice that the metal tube does not have the bulge in it that creates the physical connection.

You'll need to replace the push-on fittings. A new fuel hose is about $40, or you may be able to get new fittings at your local Napa auto parts.

Reactions: OrangeKrush

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The fuel pump spigot has a raised section the OEM clip fits around. The hose is not pulling off.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts