StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on my 04 DL1000 stalling/surging problem and was chasing down a FI code and greywolf suggested that I also look for mechanical problems (Thanks GW). Well the tank was off already so I removed the fuel pump assembly and this is what the filter strainer looked like.

Could this be the culprit?

Looks like I'll be replacing this filter strainer, but the manual says to replace the fuel filter as well. $266!!!

It looks as if the fuel filter assembly is the black plastic housing (not the unit that the filter strainer is attached to). I'm willing to spend it if it cures my problem but wow. Any suggestions for cleaning out the gas tank? Sure don't want to do this again anytime soon.

It also says to grease the O-Ring with Suzuki Super Grease A. Is there a substitute?

It's enough to make me long for my carbureted bikes!

Attachments

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOHOO!!!! I think....

I know this doesn't seem like much to all the experts here who are used to working on these things but I just drove over 100 miles and I think my stalling is fixed!!
Granted I didn't use the scientific method, replacing and testing each item to determine what was wrong, but I replaced the Intake Air Temp Sensor (which had thrown a code) and the Throttle Position Sensor (because greywolf has mentioned that it can be a culprit for hot stalling I was experiencing). Then I had a bad case of "while I'm in here" and did the external fuel filter mod, as well as putting in iridium plugs and just rode 100 miles with no issues!!
I'm back in love with this machine!! I admit to being severely less so a few weeks ago..
One thing, I didn't really like any of the filter locations that I saw in other posts because it seems like I had less room than some of the other pictures I saw. Either the Fram equivalent of the Napa filter was a bit larger or I have farkle wiring crowding.
I humbly offer the following alternative location for mounting the filter. By running the hose forward and down from the throttle bodies, and being really retentive about the hose length, this filter seems to be completely suspended and not rubbing on anything. I did use a zip tie attached to the EFI clamp just to keep it from moving but I don't even think that was necessary. Check it out.
Also, HUGE thanks to everyone who posts here. I would never have taken on this job without all the great posts and advice.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts