Strom Trooper banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Well the clamps I used are 14mm FI hose clamps:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OL264DU/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&tag=stromtrooperconvert-20

They never budged and I had no problems with them. Are you sure you used the same type and the correct diameter?
Yes sir! got them from ebay. The hose clamp from amazon above seems a little better quality vs the ones I got from ebay. Maybe I coulda tighten them more during the initial installation??
But again, just wanted to convey my experience and for you to keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Well I did all the modding and stuff and....there is no fuel delivery now. Tested the pump without the external filter or lines and it outputs nothing. Should I continue to post about it here, or post in the original mod thread?
OK, I got the same initial result with my mod. THEN I remembered that I completely drained the tank of gas before I started. I put a gallon of gas in and the pump did what it was supposed to do. Check your gas level in the tank because while you might hear the pump whirl when you turn the key, it may not be doing anything except sucking air.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I know I filled the thing with gas this time. About 1/4 - 1/2 gallon I think. I have forgotten before too! Even with a little gas it should be able to pump it.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Maybe shine a flash light into the tank and see whether the pump is covered. Could be that some of the gas was absorbed by the pump and the resulting level is still too low?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Maybe shine a flash light into the tank and see whether the pump is covered. Could be that some of the gas was absorbed by the pump and the resulting level is still too low?
I am thinking that. The pump needs to be submerged in gas first, then excess gas will fill up the thank. Once the pump is covered then it is okay to run the bike. (the motor is cooled by being submerged in gasoline.)

My gas syphoner is not fast so I may not have put enough gas in the tank. Also when I took the pump out not a lot of gas came out of it. I'm gonna give the tank a nice fill up and see.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I did it! I got the bike to run. Fuel seems to be getting to the cylinder(s).

But....now the rear cylinder doesn't fire! LOL

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
With all your screwing around it may simply be flooded. Did you try to run it for a while or give up right away?

Is there spark?

Finally could debris have bypassed the external filter during initial install and block the injector?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Is there spark?

Finally could debris have bypassed the external filter during initial install and block the injector?
^^He's probably correct... either no spark or no fuel. What external in-line fuel filter did you end up using? What is the micron rating for the screen inside of it? I'd check the spark first. An old timing light with an inductive clip to go around the spark plug wire would be easy enough to use to see if there is spark.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I swapped the spark plug for a known good one. Same result. Not the best test but I know it is not the spark plug itself. So I checked the fuel lines and the part connecting the two fuel injectors for clogs. Nothing, they are clean.

I can check the fuel injectors next to see if they spray. How can I do that? If I pressurize the system the injectors may fly off. I'll check both injectors with a multimeter for now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Checked the rear cylinder's ignition coil. It passed. ~29K ohms. But in order to reach the spark plug cap connector I had to use a wire with my multimeter's probes. Will that affect the readout?

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you have compressed air available, take a 6" length of fuel line and stick it over the pintle/nozzle end of each injector, pour a little cleaning solution in the hose and use the air nozzle to jam in the end of the hose and back spray the injectors. This should blow out any gunk and the cleaning agent won't hurt either. Last time I did this I used a Chrysler injector cleaner that I had on hand, but just some gas or kerosene will likely do the job too.

If you're getting spark and air, fuel is the ingredient left to check, which you are doing. Have you checked for a signal to the rear injector? Sometimes the simple stuff gets us. Loose plug somewhere?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I took the injectors off the test them with the multimeter. They weren't dirty, the intake side was totally clean. But that is not the whole story so I'll try what you recommended.

I can't test peak voltage, but the ignition coil passed every other test. I swapped the spark plugs with a known (assumed) good one. Same result.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Did the thing EricV suggested. Then I realized I have a can of seafoam I could soak the injectors in just to make sure they are clean.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Injectors are soaking in seafoam. 20 minutes later and it hasn't changed color. I think they are clean.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I swapped the spark plug for a known good one. Same result.
I'm not sure what you mean by "same result". If you merely pulled one plug and installed another, you still won't know if you are getting spark. Even a good plug with no spark from the coil is worthless. If you don't have an old timing light with an inductive clip to use for checking for spark with the plug in place then I would recommend that you pull the plug wire from the rear cylinder, attach it to another spark plug outside of the engine so you can see it, ground the plug against the head or frame or something (just don't bare hand it), hit start. If you see spark at the end of the plug, you know that the issue is fuel. You have to test for and know there is spark.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I'm not sure what you mean by "same result". If you merely pulled one plug and installed another, you still won't know if you are getting spark. Even a good plug with no spark from the coil is worthless. If you don't have an old timing light with an inductive clip to use for checking for spark with the plug in place then I would recommend that you pull the plug wire from the rear cylinder, attach it to another spark plug outside of the engine so you can see it, ground the plug against the head or frame or something (just don't bare hand it), hit start. If you see spark at the end of the plug, you know that the issue is fuel. You have to test for and know there is spark.
Oh I know. I was going to test for that but then I discovered something. I swapped the fuel injectors accidentally and now the rear cylinder fires but not the front. Upon further inspection (actual inspection this time) I noticed the o-rings on the injectors are well worn. I think they are originals with 60K+ miles on them!

So I'll need to order a repair kit for the injectors, among other o-rings. Hopefully that was it, otherwise it may be the wire connecting to the rear injector. I tested both injectors with my multimeter and they passed.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts