StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I need to perform the high pressure fuel filter bypass mod, but I can not find any images. The original forum post for the mod at VSRI does not have the images anymore. I can not find a thread here with pictures either, at least for the older style of fuel pump. I need it for a 2003 SV650 so that should be the 03-07 era of pumps I think.

Does anybody have a link to a thread here?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
That is the down side of the images linked via 3rd party servers and not saved directly to the site's database, they get lost over time. Reading on the SV site (https://www.sv-portal.com/forums/) on the subject of fuel pump by pass, they also refer to the same link posted by blaustrom.
I think that the area to be drilled for the filter bypass is similar on most FI models. Each link posted has a reference or pix of the drill angle and or the location to be drilled, which could be of help.
Another option would be to PM a moderator of VSRI and see if they are able to recover some of the missing pix that you require. Perhaps someone has made a backup of the VSRI bypass thread along with the necessary pix and can make it available to those looking for the info.

·
Registered
525 Posts
There must be something wrong with your browser or something, because I can still see the relevant images in this thread:

https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,6105.0.html

I have attached the relevant images to this post.

Note that that thread still talks about recuperating the connectors from the existing line. You need to do this very carefully in order not to damage the O-rings. A (much) later post in the thread (reply #311 to be exact) lists the Dorman 800-081 Fuel Line Quick Disconnect, 5/16” as the proper connector, available from various stores.

Attachments

·
Registered
525 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hello!

I need to perform the high pressure fuel filter bypass mod, but I can not find any images. The original forum post for the mod at VSRI does not have the images anymore. I can not find a thread here with pictures either, at least for the older style of fuel pump. I need it for a 2003 SV650 so that should be the 03-07 era of pumps I think.

Does anybody have a link to a thread here?
I just did this mod 2 days ago and used the link.....

https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,6105.0.html

Mod went perfectly on my 04 DL650 went from a less than 200ml flow per test to 350ml flow.
Installation of external filter is the real challenge. Working in Mercury Marine engine world though I chose a Mercury quick connect inline fuel filter and the related fittings. Now filter service is a snap.
Thank you to who ever made the referred to post. Most helpful.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There must be something wrong with your browser or something, because I can still see the relevant images in this thread:

I have attached the relevant images to this post.

Note that that thread still talks about recuperating the connectors from the existing line. You need to do this very carefully in order not to damage the O-rings. A (much) later post in the thread (reply #311 to be exact) lists the Dorman 800-081 Fuel Line Quick Disconnect, 5/16” as the proper connector, available from various stores.
Thank you for attaching the images. It turns out my browser was not displaying those images for some reason. Tried it on Chrome and it works.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I did all the modding and stuff and....there is no fuel delivery now. Tested the pump without the external filter or lines and it outputs nothing. Should I continue to post about it here, or post in the original mod thread?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh, one more tip. While you're doing the fuel filter bypass, you might also want to replace the little crossover fuel line between the two cylinders. That may prevent problems later, and you've got everything ready to go anyway. Just make sure you order a few extra hose clamps and an inch or so of extra fuel line.

Good idea, thank you! I'll check for that when I go back in there...again (for the 5th time).

·
Registered
222 Posts
Can you show a couple of pictures of the filter you are using and its dimensions and part number and where to get please. Others will be most grateful.

For Reference the parts that I used:
https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000-2002-2012/204441-external-fuel-filter-3.html
blaustrom
Just saw your photo of the fuel pump and your hose clamp. I want to point out that you may be using the wrong type of hose clamp. You are using the cinch type and it may walk itself loose from the vibration.

I ran into this problem 2x on the highway on separate occasions. both the cinch hose clamp came loose on me at highway speed where the external filter installed. I was forced to stop by the side of the road and gas a literally pouring out as the hose clamp became loose. You can try tightening them tightly, but mine were pretty tight and it came loose.

I have since installed a different type of hose clamp and will keep an eye on them.
Good Luck

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well I did all the modding and stuff and....there is no fuel delivery now. Tested the pump without the external filter or lines and it outputs nothing. Should I continue to post about it here, or post in the original mod thread?
Did you connect the fuel pump wire under the tank? there are 3 final connection when putting the gas tank back. The fuel hose itself. the vent hose, and the fuel pump connector.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
1 - 20 of 50 Posts