StromTrooper banner

Fuel Filter Bypass: A First?

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Scootertrash in Paradise 
#1 ·
Last week I brought a master motorcycle mechanic, Steve Loster who is service manager at Arizona Kawasaki, KTM and Triumph and who has owned both DL1000's and DL650's for 11 years in his past. Steve knows the bikes inside and out having worked on maybe 50. He came down to show us how to properly service the fleet, hands-on, front to back, including fork rebuilds and valve checks. My tech guy Junior and I learned more about motorcycle maintenance in three days than I knew from the prior thirty years.

In exchange for his expertise, I took him on a 4-day ride to Samana, a gorgeous part of the island.

And wouldn't you know it? One bike with a clean history of fuel filter issues developed the dreaded high-pressure clog. My bike. I could not get it past 4000rpm, and the degradation of power took no more than a half hour and not many miles.

So we limped into a planned fuel stop-we were down to maybe 1.5 gals. max in the tank on the way back to Jarabacoa. As fortune had it, El Jefe of the gas station had just installed one of those white plastic garages, so I pulled the bike into it, out of the hot Caribbean sun.

Before we left Jarabacoa I added the box of the parts necessary for 3 fuel filter bypasses on bikes that had the problem in the past: filters, hosing, fittings, clamps...and new low pressure filter screens (you can see these in the clear plastic box.) I also had a cordless drill in the tool/parts box.

So we removed the tank, propped it up on two cases of empty Presidente's, and proceeded to do the fuel filter bypass on the road, in the field. And---BINGO!---success, bike ran like new. Took less than an hour in total and really was not that difficult. I'll admit that drilling the filter was the most stressful part. One way to "demystify" this process was to drill the small hole---where you need to do the sideways drilling---a little larger diameter so you can then actually see the plastic necessary to be drilled.

I wish we'd taken more pictures.

Filter surgery by yours truly:

I wonder if we're the first to do the filter bypass on the road...

One of the things Steve was able to teach us is "de-mystifying" what many consider complex tasks, like rebuilding forks and doing the valve checks. There is a world of difference between seeing How-To pics and videos, and seeing and experiencing these operations live, along with many questions being answered. In that regard, and in order to help out Stromtroopers who may be a little intimidated by complex procedures, we're thinking about a special Stromtrooper tour in '18, maybe March, that would include a two-day tech session going through a DL650 front to back, going over all the various tasks necessary to get the bikes back to near-new specs. Who might be interested in such an experience?

See less See more
#5 ·
It will be two additional days added to the front end of a North Coast tour in April 2018. Seats will be limited and we already have two reservations.

Steve Loster is a fantastic, knowledgeable teacher. The main thing that you will take away from the tech sessions, equally important as knowledge of procedures, is CONFIDENCE, the knowledge that you can do somewhat complex maintenance tasks without mistakes. He takes the mystery out of things that no online tutorial or video can.

#4 ·
For those interested, I did a tour with Motocaribe several years ago in February. I HIGHLY recommend it. You'll see a side of the DR you would otherwise never see, riding well maintained bikes. Robert and Alida are great hosts! Not your typical "all inclusive - stay in one resort - lay on the beach all day" vacation.

Some pics:

#6 ·
For those interested, I did a tour with Motocaribe several years ago in February. I HIGHLY recommend it. You'll see a side of the DR you would otherwise never see, riding well maintained bikes. Robert and Alida are great hosts! Not your typical "all inclusive - stay in one resort - lay on the beach all day" vacation.

Some pics:

What an incredible stretch of road that is, the 24km from Las Terrenas to the El Catay Airport on the Samana Peninsula! One of my favorite sections of a route.

People just don't realize that the Dominican Republic has some of the most epic motorcycling roads on the planet!

#7 ·
I would say you probably are! Hats off to anyone that can accomplish this on the side of the road. Because you were unable to take more pictures (probably because you had gas on your hands) I will post a link to a more detailed account including a nice break away of the inside of the fuel pump / filter assembly.

External Fuel Filter modification

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.