Strom Trooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I carry emergency fuel in an MSR one liter fuel bottle. I put a little Startron fuel treatment in it as well. The climate where I live is very moderate with lows in the winter about freezing and highs in the summer are rarely in the 90's. How long would you think the fuel is safe to use? For a riding season? Wondering because if it gets used, there's not going to be much fresh fuel to mix with it...thanks.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
It should last for years in a sealed container. At least for emergency use. It would seem prudent that you pour it in your tank when you fill up every few months and refill the container. I have fuel, untreated, in tanks of small engines that I use every year or two and it works fine. Alcohol in the fuel isn't good for carbs though. They can get messed up over time, but that's not your situation.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
If you always carry it on the bike, like Bobby says, every few months or at least a couple times a year I'd dump it in the tank when filling up and put fresh fuel in the container.

I do the same with fuel at home in cans; if I don't use it in a season I dump it in the car and buy fresh for the can. I'm also using stabilizer.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
My WR450f is very fussy with old fuel, when the fuel gets to about 3 months of age the bike will snap, crackle & pop continuously.

I was at the farm one weekend and I ran out of fresh fuel, I had a couple of alloy drink bottles full of fuel that I carry as back up on long rides, this fuel was about 3 years old and the WR ran fine on it.

I assume the fuel we get down here is similar to yours ?

When our fuel gets old it smells more like turpentine than petrol and that is when it gives me trouble.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts