StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The parts guy at one of the m/c shops highly recommends Lucas Oil ethanol fuel conditioner, so I decided to try it. I guess it's no secret our fuel is very bad and has too much alcohol. I stopped using premium and went to regular with this conditioner. It requires one ounce per five gallons of fuel making it economical to use. The V runs great, better than ever !!! I'm not much on addatives, especially when someone is trying to sell me something but this stuff really works. :hurray:

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,422 Posts
Rodknocker, if you cannot show an increase in hp measured on a dyno, or a record of fuel mileage increases over a period of time, then your additive "improvements" are likely more in your mind than real. As much as some like to complain about gas, we really don't have much problem with it. Absolutely no reason to put an additive in your gasoline ( short of a stabilizer for LONG periods of storage ) as there are additives put in it when shipped to the gas station.

They could bottle regular grade 87 octane in the same bottle and the results would be.....the same. IMO of course.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rodknocker, if you cannot show an increase in hp measured on a dyno, or a record of fuel mileage increases over a period of time, then your additive "improvements" are likely more in your mind than real. As much as some like to complain about gas, we really don't have much problem with it. Absolutely no reason to put an additive in your gasoline ( short of a stabilizer for LONG periods of storage ) as there are additives put in it when shipped to the gas station.

They could bottle regular grade 87 octane in the same bottle and the results would be.....the same. IMO of course.
Why would more hp be the priority for using an addative? More hp who needs it !!! why it's all in your head in IMO. With all that hp who cares about fuel milage. I was hoping to improve the driveability issues common to the V. Remember curiousity is the mother of invention. :thumbup:

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
Why would more hp be the priority for using an addative? More hp who needs it !!! why it's all in your head in IMO. With all that hp who cares about fuel milage. I was hoping to improve the driveability issues common to the V. Remember curiousity is the mother of invention. :thumbup:

more hp on a dyno would be the definitive measure of "is it really running better" or "a placebo in your head"

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
more hp on a dyno would be the definitive measure of "is it really running better" or "a placebo in your head"
This may be a little off-topic, but some local Marathon stations are now offering 90 octane ethanol-free gasoline.

·
Registered
182 Posts
FWIW - When filling up locally, cars and bike, I almost always get ethanol free gas. I DEFINITELY get better mileage.

·
Administrator
17,373 Posts
Only a few treatments out there are even worth a hoot "and do little to nothing", your best practice would be to fill up with the best gas you can find. Placebo affect is a powerful thing, many dealership employees are clueless......remember that.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
motor vitamins

I look at additives, the same as vitamins. It's kind of a maintance thing for your body / bike / car / truck. It helps to keep bad things from happening to your fuel system / engine / body. Once something bad happens, too late for either. I don't use an additive everytime I fill up, just every 1000 miles or so. I do take vitamins daily, at my age I need all the help I can get.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Use a specific fuel additive to fix a specific fuel problem. There are a few cases of using an additive in advance of a problem, such as a fuel stabilizer for fuel that is in storage. Otherwise, most additives are a waste of money and do no good. Even if use of an additive gives more mpg, does it actually give a lower fuel cost per mile? If it doesn't more than pay for itself, it is a loser.

Many of us, myself included, run ethanol laden 87 octane with no problems. If I am planning on keeping some E10 (10% ethanol) gas more than a month, I'll add a stabilizing additive (lawnmower fuel during the fall, etc). Otherwise, ethanol is more of a bogey man than a real problem. I must say that I thoroughly enjoy a glass of ethanol mixed with juniper berry extract to marinate an olive before dinner....

The Vee's problems will take more than a fuel additive to solve. I feel that most (all?) Lucas products are all hype and no benefit. Their oils are probably OK but worth no extra cost. Their additives...meh.

The local small engine shop has multiple stories of the regional 87 octane gas gumming up the valve stems and causing sticking intake valves. They never have this problem with customers they've convinced to use 92 octane gas, including the commercial lawn mowing operators. I do not think this applies to stroms, at least it hasn't to mine.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Ethanol eats rubber, at least the fuel line in my Stihl Chainsaw. Thats what my trusty dealer said caused it to crack and fail. Use good rubber when replacing your fuel lines, we just had a cycle shop burn to the ground cause a fuel line spewed gas on a running engine and the mechanics werent very good firemen either.

My Vee engine is bone stock and runs fine on any 87 with any ethanol I have found. It stumbles at low rpm now and then, but did that with hi-test too when I tried it. I stopped wasting my money and went back to 87. I agree with whoever it was said that if it aint pinging, you got good enough.

Stabil for storage is the only additive I use, sometime seafoam for same.

·
Registered
944 Posts
rod, my personal opinion is that you are on the right track to use an ethanol treatment product. Ethanol is one of thos good vs bad products. It does help to reduce knock/ping, but it also can cause hotter running engines. It is not good for older engines that are not designed for it in that is attacks the seals and rubber components. Ethanol, over time, clings to the inside of your gas tank like an oily/waxy film that will dislodge and begin its travel thru the fuel system and mostly shows up as milky colored solution in the fuel filter which restricts fuel flow. Experienced that myself. Sta-Bil and Star Tron both make ethanol neutralizing products which SEEM to work for me. I use them in ALL of my machines and have had zero more instances of ethanol issues....and I had a few before. Changed filters, used the products, and no issues since.....and that's been over 3 years. Yes, I buy ethanol-free(claimed) 93 R+M/2 octance and still add the products plus a little Marvel. I make NO scientific claim or research here. People who don't use them or pooh pooh them have no evidence that they DON"T work so I would say, try them for yourself and see.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rod, my personal opinion is that you are on the right track to use an ethanol treatment product. Ethanol is one of thos good vs bad products. It does help to reduce knock/ping, but it also can cause hotter running engines. It is not good for older engines that are not designed for it in that is attacks the seals and rubber components. Ethanol, over time, clings to the inside of your gas tank like an oily/waxy film that will dislodge and begin its travel thru the fuel system and mostly shows up as milky colored solution in the fuel filter which restricts fuel flow. Experienced that myself. Sta-Bil and Star Tron both make ethanol neutralizing products which SEEM to work for me. I use them in ALL of my machines and have had zero more instances of ethanol issues....and I had a few before. Changed filters, used the products, and no issues since.....and that's been over 3 years. Yes, I buy ethanol-free(claimed) 93 R+M/2 octance and still add the products plus a little Marvel. I make NO scientific claim or research here. People who don't use them or pooh pooh them have no evidence that they DON"T work so I would say, try them for yourself and see.
When I was young I worked for a beer distributor during the summer. He swore by Marvel Mystery Oil addative, used it in his entire fleet of trucks.

·
Registered
360 Posts
In Washington, virtually all the auto gas has ethanol in it; the refineries in the state add ethanol to all their auto gas sold at gas stations. Auto gas sold at the marinas and airports usually does not have ethanol in it, but most of them will not allow you to fill up your car, bike or gas cans with it.

There are some stations in Washington, listed on the 'pure gas' website, that claim to consistently have ethanol free gas. I have been to many of them, and I note that the pumps still have the ethanol sticker on them. I have talked to some of the station owners, and they say that they get occasional deliveries from jobbers who pick up from refineries outside the state that do still blend ethanol-free auto gas, but they cannot guarantee that they always have the ethanol-free gas in stock.

So I use the marine-grade Stabil in the gas that I am storing for more than a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I use the Lucas stuff in my truck and occasionally in my bike on longer trips. I think it really does help. I also run premium through my bike and see much better mileage than with 87 octane.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I have read some good reviews on some stuff called BG44K . Going to pick some up and give it a try.
David
BG44K is one of several good products to clean the system. Try a dose and see if it helps. If not, your engine didn't need it. If it helps, try another can at your next oil change interval. If that didn't help then the engine didn't need it yet; stretch the treatment out to every other oil change or your next tune up, or some schedule that works for your engine. Red Line, Amsoil, Regane, Chevron Techron Concentrate are others that work well when used periodically.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I didn't realize that some places have only ethanol-laced gasoline available. Here in Iowa where much corn is grown and much alcohol is produced (for fuel) 90% of the stations have ethanol free gas available.

Usually there are three grades:
87 octane (no alcohol)
89 octane (10% alcohol)
91-93 octane (sometimes the fuel on the higher end of that range has alcohol)

Gas with no alcohol is almost always 10 cents per gallon more.
Alcohol contains less BTUs than gasoline, so you should get better fuel mileage from straight gas due to that alone.

I always use the ethanol free version.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts