StromTrooper banner

Fue pump screen dirty>

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  richw 
#1 ·
Is there a way to check and clean the fual filter/screen. With 50K on my bike, Im certain the screen will have contaminents trapped in the screen. Is this a servicable item? I do plan on adding my own fuel filter after the screen situation is addressed. Thanks guys !!

#2 ·
The screen can be replaced or may possibly be cleaned. It is ridiculously expensive at about $60. The high pressure filter is more like to cause problems. The screen has sometimes been a problem too though, especially with very dirty fuel with larger bits of foreign matter.

#3 ·
Vee

Wondering that myself.
Is it a tricky job to get the tank properly sealed again after removing the fuel pump on my Vee. I've over 90,000km and expect some dirt must have accumulated.

#4 ·
IF/When you had the fuel pump in your hand you would be foolish NOT to do the external fuel filter mod.

Until a filter clogs completely the more debris it has accumulated the better it filters fine particles.

I assume you can just turn on the bike with the fuel hose in a bucket.

How fast do you think it pumps a gallon ?

#5 ·
There is simply an O-ring between the fuel pump base and tank. Most people have just re-used it. It's crazily expensive too. The external filter mod doesn't work on '07 and later Wees.

#6 · (Edited)
Do not let a clean screen fool you. My bike (2007 Vee) clogged the filter at 50,000 miles or so. I had a shop flush it for me due to being busy at work. At 59,000 or so the process repeated itself. This time I did the work myself.

I replaced the o ring...it is big and durable so I wasted money here...but I wanted to do this work once only. The tank needs to be down to around a gallon. I just laid mine on its side with the gallon of fuel still in it and went to work. Safer to drain it, but I am still here typing. I went with an OEM new Suzuki stock cartridge filter...$220 plus the o ring, from "service Honda". This filter comes with a new pressure relief valve installed on it.

Now others have done the external mod. It looks OK to me and not that hard but I have learned over the years that EFI systems are so sensitive to pressures on both the supply and return side that $220 every 50,000 miles isn't a bad cost for peace of mind. The external filter mod is your call and could be the hot ticket if you live in the land of crappy gas.

But for peace of mind...the filter will give you plenty of warning its clogging. At high RPM the bike will go lean on you and act like a cylinder is cutting out. You will have hundreds of miles to procrastinate about fixing her, with only stumbling and some missing to slow you down.

My screen was perfectly clean when I replaced the filter.

#7 ·
Thanks guys. These forums are priceless....especially Mr. Wolf. By the way Mr Grey Wolf....are you a retired mechanic or something. I just notice that there is nothing about these Strom's that you don't know about.

#8 ·
By the way Mr Grey Wolf....are you a retired mechanic or something.
I'm retired so I have the time. I've mainly done my own work on many bikes. The only times I ever got paid was for maintaining class bikes at a Northeastern Illinois Univ. MSF program and teaching a few adult education sections on motorcycle maintenance there and at Triton College.

#10 ·
Davey, there is a procedure to flow test the pump/filter assembly. Its in the manual but search the site as there is a better one here. The test will be easier than yanking the pump and guessing wrong.

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.