StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm hoping someone can assist. I have 2005 that just doesn't want to run. I've replaced the TPS, battery, and spark plugs. Each time the result has been the same. The bike idles for half an hour, no problem, revs in neutral, revs in gear on center stand in 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear. Then each time I do a road test, it dies after 2 blocks and won't start again, i push it home. It has sat for a while so I'm thinking the gas might be junk, but why would it only die on the road and run fine while stationary?

Thanks for any ideas.
PB

·
Registered
697 Posts
What is the condition of the inside of gas tank ? is it generating any codes or faults ?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Never had this issue, but if it were me, I'd be looking into fuel delivery. Many threads here on how to confirm fuel flow and various fixes

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Have you done a fuel flow test ?

It is a easy test that can tell you a lot and should have been one of the first tests done.

Any bike that has sat for a while is candidate for fuel problems.

While in neutral and on the stand there is no load on the motor so the motors requirements are totally different.

What do you do to get the bike going again after it stops ?

·
Registered
697 Posts
I was hoping OP could post a pic of the tank inside. Again bad fuel is bad mojo

Reactions: Snipely1

·
Registered
31 Posts
Im not quite sure how the tank is vented, but if the vent is obstructed you could be drawing a vacuum not letting fuel flow. Its happened to me on a few bikes. Ride it with the gas cap off and see if you can go farther than 2 blocks.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Was thinking the same as Strombonist. Once the bike dies, immediately and slowly open the filler cap. If there's strong suction and/or a hissing sound when you open the cap, you've found the issue.

·
Registered
896 Posts
the thought of riding with the gas cap off makes me nervous in my old age. Maybe you could close the cap with a strip of cloth caught there to allow a little air to filter in.

Yeah, I would put my money on it being a fuel supply problem

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
I cleaned the K&N filter in my 2004 one time, and re-applied the red coating. It was supposed to sit for 24 hours to dry before using, but I got impatient and started the bike after a few hours. It did similar to what you described. Idled fine, but would not ride like that. There was not enough air getting through, and that fouled all the plugs. I had to pull each plug and clean it. The next day all was well again.
Check a plug to see if it is all black, maybe you have something similar going on. I also like the suggestion about a vacuum condition, that describes your issue perfectly.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Takes a lot more fuel to propel the bike forward than it does to rev in neutral or spin the wheel.

Definitely inspect the inside of the tank, look for a clogged drain under the tank ring on the left side. I would bet you have water in your fuel. I had the symptoms a month ago - it would idle just fine, but when I took it down the block it bucked and lost power, and after stalling would not restart. I added methanol drygas, and it still sputtered for a while but I just kept running it and it eventually cleared out.

You may need a new fuel filter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you done a fuel flow test ?

It is a easy test that can tell you a lot and should have been one of the first tests done.

Any bike that has sat for a while is candidate for fuel problems.

While in neutral and on the stand there is no load on the motor so the motors requirements are totally different.

What do you do to get the bike going again after it stops ?
Each time I've done a different intervention (TPS, new battery, plugs, charge battery) and the bike fires up again. My third time pushing the bike two blocks back home. :cautious: It won't start now, so I'll charge up the battery again and see what happens. Could it be fuel delivery while motor loaded is somehow not leaving enough juice for a spark?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These are all great ideas, and I will look into them as soon as I can get the bike started again. Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I cleaned the K&N filter in my 2004 one time, and re-applied the red coating. It was supposed to sit for 24 hours to dry before using, but I got impatient and started the bike after a few hours. It did similar to what you described. Idled fine, but would not ride like that. There was not enough air getting through, and that fouled all the plugs. I had to pull each plug and clean it. The next day all was well again.
Check a plug to see if it is all black, maybe you have something similar going on. I also like the suggestion about a vacuum condition, that describes your issue perfectly.
Changed the plugs once already, but I'll check the filter. Definitely the plugs I pulled were black, but same result after putting in new ones. I'm not sure they would foul again so quickly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Was thinking the same as Strombonist. Once the bike dies, immediately and slowly open the filler cap. If there's strong suction and/or a hissing sound when you open the cap, you've found the issue.
I've had the bike on the center stand and up to 3rd gear and up to 8K revs. Would the suction happen then or do I need to go for another 2 block joy ride? :)

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Check the air filter and before you yank the tank off do the fuel flow test. No need for the bike to be running!

If there is a concern that the tank is not venting then just leave the cap unlocked but down.
My bet is on water in the tank (plugged filler neck drain) or a very plugged up fuel filter or a very fouled air filter. Let us know what you find and take some pictures to document it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Check the air filter and before you yank the tank off do the fuel flow test. No need for the bike to be running!

If there is a concern that the tank is not venting then just leave the cap unlocked but down.
My bet is on water in the tank (plugged filler neck drain) or a very plugged up fuel filter or a very fouled air filter. Let us know what you find and take some pictures to document it.
I'm a complete novice and can't follow how disconnecting the fuel supply to the pump will allow fuel to flow through it (from the linked procedure)
"Disconnect the fuel supply line to the fuel pump. Have an old rag handy because a few drops will spill from the coupling point."
I'll do a little research but will post up the photos in the meantime.
Thanks.

·
Registered
697 Posts
IT is true that if the tank vent is not working or plugged could cause the engine to starve for fuel.
However it would do so even on the center stand as OP responded. Trash in the tank could be blocking
the pickup during forward movement. Possibly.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I'm a complete novice and can't follow how disconnecting the fuel supply to the pump will allow fuel to flow through it

The fuel pump is inside the tank. You need to disconnect the fuel line going to the injectors, put a suitable PVC hose over the pump outlet and cycle the ignition 3 times, should get you +300 ml (Quick fuel pump flow test.). Each cycle lets the pump run for ... (can't remember how many) seconds. Measure the amount of fuel pumped out and report back.

See more info here: External Fuel Filter modification

1 - 20 of 64 Posts