StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On the recent ride I did with my brother and friends down to the Iron Horse for the east V-Strom meet we had FRS radios. We all had different setups that worked with better of worse sccess. What did become apparant to us is how nice it was to be able to communicate on long rides. (I did over 5,000 km or 3,000 miles last week.)

We used channel 7 privacy code 14. No particular reason other than it wasn't number 1.

I don't know if others use FRS while riding but I have never heard of any common frequency to use. If there isn' another common channel in use I propose we all use Channel 7 Sub 14. That way if we came across another bike we could say hello. (inthe way CB'ers use channel 19 and in some areas used to use 10 for non-truck use.)

Any thoughts?

..Tom

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Why would you use "privacy codes" unless you're in a place with a lot of radio traffic? I haven't ever heard anybody else using FRS/GMRS.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
What were the make and model of the radios ?? Thanks in advance. Any recommendations ??

·
Administrator
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We didn't have to and certainly could have left them off.. we just thought that with a few thousand km's of riding that it would be good to elimiante any potential conflicts.

I have found that around busy areas like theme parks, ski runs, etc that there tend to be a fair amount of people on them. Again, there is no reason we need to use them and could cetainly use "0" as the privacy code (which means no code.)

Do you think it a good idea to get all the bikers using one common channel for general communication? I always liked that on CB's you could call out on 19 and get someone.

..Tom

Why would you use "privacy codes" unless you're in a place with a lot of radio traffic? I haven't ever heard anybody else using FRS/GMRS.

·
Administrator
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We actualy had three different brands of radios. I beleive pretty much all wil communicate with other FRS radios althoguh some brands might have options to only communicate with the same brand in some setings. There are some extra channels specific to GMRS (which can use higher power) but I believe the first 7 channels are common to all types and are numbered the same.

I know Motorola and Cobra are pretty popular but don't kow what the largest volume units are. I think waterproof would be a good idea in general.

..Tom

What were the make and model of the radios ?? Thanks in advance. Any recommendations ??

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Do you think it a good idea to get all the bikers using one common channel for general communication?
Yeah, I like that idea. How about 5, which is V in Roman numerals?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Tom,

I was wondering what mic setup you had for these radios? I'd like to do something similar with a set of old FRS radios I've got laying around.

Thanks

Dave

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I was wondering what mic setup you had for these radios? I'd like to do something similar with a set of old FRS radios I've got laying around.
I've got mine patched into the Autocom.

·
Administrator
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
For the four of us that headed to North Carolina, we had 4 different setups.

Mine was hooked into my Autocom using a standard Motorola FRS/GMRS, Pilgrim's was using a Starcom and had some sort of hidden FRS/GMRS with and antenna mounted on his rear top case.

My brother Gerhard used the standard Motorola FRS with the hand's free kit, and I forget the other setup.

The built in FRS/GMRS had the best sending and reception. My handheld was second best. Either the Autocom or Starcom worked wonderfully with no issues.

Gerhard's setup worked but only at lower speeds (as you would expect wind noise was a big factor there.) The other setup didn't seem to work well at all but I don't know if he had some other problems with his radio.

Having said that, it was really a good thing to be able to warn of different things like police, deer on the side of the Blue Ridge parkway, other obstructions, radar, etc plus be able to talk about fuel and coffee stops or other interesting things we saw.

..Tom

Tom,

Thanks

Dave

·
Administrator
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How are you listening to your CB?

..Tom

unless I'm travellin with a group, I generally have the CB on 19 instead of the FRS

·
Administrator
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are a ton of online references to it all, but basically FRS is a lower power FM radio system, and GMRS is a higher power version. There is some overlap in the frequencies so that FRS and GMRS can communicate with each other.. Channels 1 though 7 can be used by either.

The FRS and GMRS have a convention where within a given channel radios can select the "privacy codes" so that they would only hear other radios on the channel with the same "privacy code". The "privacy code" name is misleading.. There is nothing private about it. Anyone can hear your conversation if they have the same code or if they have no code at all.. it just lets you screen out conversations so you only hear the ones you want to hear. Some other systems have their own proprietary code systems that would only work with the same make of radio.

Bottom line is that they are a cheap, simple form of CB radio that doesn't have the interference of traditional CB radios.

People that are licensed amateur radio users would be able to add a ton of more subtleties to the above, but I think to an average user that covers the basics.

..Tom

all this is jargin is cornfusing. frs? gmrs? privacy channel? got a link to learn about all this stuff?

·
Registered
22,267 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
The "privacy code" name is misleading.. There is nothing private about it.
Yeah, it really is misnamed. If you have it set, you're the one who doesn't hear everything on that channel.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Excelent. next question. advantages of portable to hardwired systems? i read in this thread "I got this and that threaded into the other thing but my wife has this so she can do that without interfering with my this" what are the various components and functions and how do you know what you need?

·
Administrator
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't know the answer to your question.

In general I think you have to start with figuring out what you would like to do. I haven't tried other systems but virtualy every review I have read has said great things about the Autocom, and the unit i got can pretty much do everything but it isn't cheap. I don't mind spending money for quality stuff so that is the way I did. Right now, I am only using part of the abilities of the unit. I have an mp3 player hooked up as well as the FRS/GMRS when I want. I know my cell works with it (i've tried it) no problem but I really don't want to use cell while ridng. My gps doesn't have voice commands so no reason to hook that up (but I could if it did.) It also has the ability to work as an intercom with the passenger but I don't use that ability.

As I mentioned before, it all comes down to what your end goal is.

..Tom

Excelent. next question. advantages of portable to hardwired systems? i read in this thread "I got this and that threaded into the other thing but my wife has this so she can do that without interfering with my this" what are the various components and functions and how do you know what you need?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts