StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woe is me! Snapped off one of the clutch master cylinder clamping bolts while UNDOING it. Drilled it out, applied some heat, and snapped off an easy-out in the hole. Woe is me redux. Called dealer to find that a new unit is around $350 CDN - and is 4 months back ordered. Dealer said they just snapped one (brake side) while assembling a new bike. Is this the dreaded pot metal seizures that had everyone with a Japanese bike in the 60's buying impact drivers for the case screws?

I'd like to drill it out and retap - but not with an easy-out stuck in there. Another solution may be to cut off the "ear" with the jammed bolt and weld on another bit to drill and tap...or bite the bullet and buy a new master - and wait 4 months...prime riding time.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
90 Posts
what about looking for a used one? Probably doesn't have to be from a Strom, I'm pretty sure it would be a fairly generic part, used across a slew of Suzuki models. Or one from another brand might fit...

Trevor

·
Registered
156 Posts
EDM

If you can remove the master cylinder from the bars, a local machine shop may have a sinking EDM machine to burn out the easy-out and remaining bolt, then re-thread or put in a helicoil thread repair kit.

Shouldn't take too long, and it'll definitely cost you less than $350... Not sure what the goig rates are, but it around here in NY, figure 1/2 hour labor at about $75/hr for the EDM.

Good luck.
JohnS.

PS. Not sure whey they're called easy-outs, I know of nobody who thinks they're easy... Next time, get a set of left-handed drill bits, about half way in, they usually untwist the bolt for you.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
it might be possible to drill out the easy-out with a carbide tipped masonry bit or dremel bit and try again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts