StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So guys I know I posted a suspension problem about two weeks ago thought I got to the bottom of the problem by noticing that the weight on my wheel got knocked off when I went down. So I went and got it balanced put it back on to find out i'm still getting wobbles the dealership I went to said the wheel is bent and I'd need a new one is there anyone that can help me out with a front wheel for a 2012 dl650 not sure if they all use the same rims or not?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well my handle bars start to rock back and forth when I'm going over 40 now. But does anyone know if one rim fits all models?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Well my handle bars start to rock back and forth when I'm going over 40 now. But does anyone know if one rim fits all models?
You need a wheel from a 2007 or later DL650 with ABS brakes.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Jack up the front of the bike, spin the wheel by hand, and see for yourself if it is bent.

Check the internet for a motorcycle wheel repair shop near you. The wheels can be repaired & refinished. What color would you like?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah guess I'll have to find out

I thought I could bring it to a shop most people were telling me to replace it I'll have to find out, but think it's going to be hard to find in my area.

·
Administrator
13,728 Posts
If your front wheel has a wobble at around 40 mph but dissappears at higher or lower speeds and settles down when hands are on the bars then you havea very common and rather normal situation.

If the above is the case the issue is little or nothing to do with the front wheel balance. It is probably triggered by a combination of some or all of the following:

-a minor misalignment of the front and rear wheels,
-the front tire being slighly flat in profile,
-Heavier load on the back of the bike
-loose steering bearings

New tires may help until they wear, changing the load distribution may help a bit. for most people (includng me) it remains a moinor annoyance at best.

As far as I can tell the only sure-fire cure is new tapered roller bearings in the front steering stem. Tapered roller bearing fixed it in my 2006, my 2012 does it when the front tire wears.

I wouldn't worry about it.

..Tom

·
Registered
702 Posts
O Ps post mentioned...

"the dealership I went to said the wheel is bent and I'd need a new one"

Dig around on the internet & find a place to straighten the wheel.

Maybe "Woodys Wheel Works"?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts

·
Administrator
13,728 Posts
Do we really know that wheel is bent? From what I see the OP based this on a dealer saying the wheel is bent and saying the front wobbles at 40 mph. The dealer could be wrong and is just assuming that is the case. And the OP hasn't mentioned checking himself. (It's pretty easy to do.) About al the OP has said was it wobbles at 40 and wheel weight missing.

And if it was would that account for the 40 mph wobbling that the vast majority of Stroms experience at some time or another? My 2006 DL650 ahs a minor bend i nthe front wheel and has had it for over 150,000 km. It wobbled before I got that and wobbled after I got that. It only completly stopped wobbling at the 40 mph speed when I repalced the steering bearings.

Why would we not rule out the simplest, least expensive possibility before spending a big wack of money on straightening or replacing a wheel without first checking the simpler things?

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,728 Posts
Does it get worse when you hit 50 or does it lessen at speed?

..Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts