StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My front wheel on my 1-month old 2008 DL1000 wobbles at about 45MPH? Any idea why? I have a 2002 Vstrom with Avon Distanzia tires and there is no wobble. Those tires are excellent. Are the stock tires junk? :headbang: Thanks... :hurray:

·
Banned
4,051 Posts
Hello,

My front wheel on my 1-month old 2008 DL1000 wobbles at about 45MPH? Any idea why? I have a 2002 Vstrom with Avon Distanzia tires and there is no wobble. Those tires are excellent. Are the stock tires junk? :headbang: Thanks... :hurray:
Is 45 mph around 60 km/h?
I think they all do it (mine does, and it is not tire related; the other two I tried also do it), don't worry.
It will not turn into a tankslapper, I can ride for hours with my hands off the bars at that speed (and even around curves); the wobble never gets worse than about 1" of wobble at the end of the bars. The direction of the bike is not affected. I admit is is a bit disconcerting at first.
It is also only between 60 and 70 km/h.

Ride down a hill at that speed so you can take your hands off the bars (or use a throttle lock if you have it). Keep the hands near, but don't react prematurely. If it wobbles more than 1 inch or so, you may conclude you have a problem, if not, forget it and ride.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
I'd be concerned with a wobble at any speed. Do not assume that either the factory or the dealership got everything tight.

·
$tromtrooper
845 Posts
New bike, take it back to the dealer. I've had two new vstroms with stock tires and never had the problem.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I agree, they are now designed to wobble...something is not right and it's a brand new bike so why screw around...back to the dealer and let them sort it out.
+ whatever number I am.
My Strom doesn't wobble a mm at any speed with smooth road and never has.

To the poster who says there is an 1" movement get you bike checked.

·
Banned
4,051 Posts
Uh guys...
I hate to break it to you, but all bikes have a range in which they wobble if you let go of the bars.
The stroms just happen to do it between 60 and 70 km/h.
Let go of your handlebars once in a while, and you'll notice.

I'm talking about a hands-off, 10 km/h speed limited range here.
I'm not talking about a problem that can develop into a tankslapper.

·
Administrator
13,199 Posts
It's a pretty common issue on bikes including the Stroms.

Here is a summary of what I have experienced and what I have read about it here:

Not all bikes do it but many do. It tends to get worse as the load on the rear of the bike is increased and as the front tires wear. Some tires seem to be more prone to it but it happens with many different brands. When you put a new tire on the problem may disappear or get better for a while but as the tire weras it often returns.

People will suggest a fork brace, tightening the head bearings, etc and in some cases these things might help a bit but generally they don't make any real difference.

As long as it is easily damped by your hands there is nothing to be concerned about.

..Tom

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Before you accept it as a characteristic of your new bike there are a few things that can and should be be checked. IMHO, this is important as the bike is new and several things could have been done poorly at dealer prep or have manufacturing defects. First thing you should check is tire pressure, low pressure can induce wobble. Then get the dealer to check the bike over to ensure there are no issues with a defective tire or poor wheel balance, something out of alignment or loose etc.

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
If the wheel is "wobbling", you probably lost one of your wheel weights and your wheel needs to be rebalanced. you could also have a damaged front tire [even if it's new - who knows what the porter at the bike shop ran over after he built it up?].....

But, if you are experiencing "headshake" - the handlebars wanting to shake back and forth, then you have a whole nuther possible set of things to check - and I'd have the dealer check your new bike out one more time.

R

·
0 Posts
Mine does it on decel, but that has been discussed to death around here, but I dont think I feel it while under acceleration. Maybe I just got lucky. Course I do have a Superbrace on that might make a difference.

RR

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had the same "wobble", but as V-Tom says, it was damped with the hands. In fact, I had the bike for several months before I noticed it - slowing to a stop, I took both hands off the bars and from about 50 KPH to 40 KPH, the front end started to wobble. Even with one hand on the bars it was not noticeable. I was running Metzler ME 880's at the time with plenty of life left on them. Last August, I put on Shinko 705's and Ricks fork brace within days of each other - wobble completely gone. Either the tires, the brace, or both cured it for me.

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
Never experienced the wobble, or any wobbling. I am running BW's if that helps, with no fork brace on a 2006 Wee. I do notice a little wandering when coming to a stop [under 1-2mph] as if steering gets very sensitive. I'm getting used to it.

·
Hmmmmm
1,326 Posts
Check your wheel weights and check your air pressure. The only time my front end wobbled was when I had been off road and had lowered the air in the front and neglected to air back up. But if the problem turns out to be low air pressure and has been ridden a lot then the front tire is going to be cupped and airing it up may not help and a new front tire will be the solution.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Always had the decel wobble with my bike, regardless of tires. Only difference is it gets worse the more the tire is worn. Original tires, a few sets of Dunlop D607's and, now, Conti Trail Attacks. Last D607 I took off the front was toast (a shop told me the tire was screwed BEFORE I left for a 3,000 mile trip, lots of tread, just irregular wear patterns) It shook pretty bad at the end, but only if I let go of the bars. :yikes:

Oh, and I have a Superbrace on my bike.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Depends on what exactly the OP means by "wobble". I don't believe the OP has been back to define this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is 45 mph around 60 km/h?
I think they all do it (mine does, and it is not tire related; the other two I tried also do it), don't worry.
It will not turn into a tankslapper, I can ride for hours with my hands off the bars at that speed (and even around curves); the wobble never gets worse than about 1" of wobble at the end of the bars. The direction of the bike is not affected. I admit is is a bit disconcerting at first.
It is also only between 60 and 70 km/h.

Ride down a hill at that speed so you can take your hands off the bars (or use a throttle lock if you have it). Keep the hands near, but don't react prematurely. If it wobbles more than 1 inch or so, you may conclude you have a problem, if not, forget it and ride.
If you have 1" of wobble at the bars, you've got a serious problem. That is *NOT* okay.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
If you have 1" of wobble at the bars, you've got a serious problem. That is *NOT* okay.
+1 to that. Yeesh. Thats nuts.

I would guess the front tire wasn't mounted correctly. Maybe it needs to be removed and re-installed, or replaced.

Check to see if the rear tire adjustment marks are even on both sides too.

I'm betting its that front tire.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
First off, the bike was not new...its an 08.

Second, it is common on deceleration with no hands on the bars. I have ridden another certified wobble free Vee (per the owner) and I could get it to do it no problem.

I would say the ones I have seen show about 1 inch at the bar ends if you let it resonate for a while. My bike is a bit less and can run 80 mph all day with no issues. It has seen 110 mph and I survived just fine. Its a decel issue around 40 mph.

Tire type and wear effect the issue. So can loose bearings.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts