StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question. I lifted my DL650 last night, unbolted the calipers, front axle pinch bolt, then reached through the tool kit to for the tool to unscrew the axle-nothing fits. Am I missing a tool? Or is this allen type wrench not included in the factory kit? At least I found this out in my garage, not on the side of the road.:oops:
Thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
You need one of these, a 12mm hex socket (biggest one in pict).

Don't bother going to Sears. Craftsman doesn't make a 3/8" drive hex socket larger than 10mm :roll: . I got a SK Tools brand at Wholesale Tool http://www.wttool.com/c/64271370p. I'm lucky to live near one of their retail stores. Buy two, one for the toolbox and one for the road.

Mike
Tampa, FL
DL650K5

·
Registered
178 Posts
So I guess I am wrong if it uses a 12mm, but the below is applicable to the big bike.

I believe the 650 uses the same 19mm allen wrench and no you don't get one in the standard tool kit. There are several work arounds if you can't find the tool locally or care to pay the price they are going for.

19mm is the equivalent of 3/4" and some sprark plug wrenches have a 3/4" hex base on them and if one can insert a 3/8's extension into the spark plug well of the socket, in effect using the socket in reverse it will remove the axle.

Made another for a friend whose spark plug socket couldn't accept an extension through the inside due to the rounding of the inner surface, so I just drilled a set of holes across it for him at 5/16" and using a 1/4" 12" extension he had a "T" style wrench.

I had an old crow bar with 3/4" flats across the hexagon shape, I cut it into 2.5" lengths and polished them up, got 9 pieces which I then sold eight of them on e-bay for about $12 each, gotta love people and auctions. Anyway you insert it in the axle and then place a socket 19mm or 3/4"on it.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
I bought this set at Autozone for $8. I actually tried two different locations before I found it - they had it at the 24-hour store.

Now, where do you need the 19mm hex socket?

·
Registered
178 Posts
On the 1000 it is needed to remove the front axle.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
BradM said:
On the 1000 it is needed to remove the front axle.

Well, I've sadly just figure this out that neither my tool box nor bike's tool kit have this 19mm hex thing. :twisted: (I can't get my front wheel off to change the tire-ugh!) Where could I pick one up and is there any other tools for the K5 DL1k that I need to be aware are MIA from the kit? :?: This might be a dumb question but why does Suzuki leave such a tool out? :oops: Seems on the road tire removal tools would rank high.

·
Registered
178 Posts
On a bike running tubeless tires it isn't a big deal not having the tools onboard to change a flat, usually can be done with a plug kit and a shot of compressed air and your on the road again. A mini compressor takes up as much room as the number of CO2 cartridges one needs and is reuseable and wiring a 12 volt outlet to the bike is just handy to have anyway.

Many bikes are using these as front axle tools now, the one on my GSX-R is now a 23mm allen, that is a real pain in the ass to find but I'm making a tool for that as well by milling a piece of aluminum bar stock to size. I'd rather spend several hours making a tool than spending the $40 to 50 to buy it. But I also love to buy tools as well, can't have an empty drawer or spot on the peg board.

But many bike aren't equpped with the tools required to remove a wheel, my KLR650's tool kit doesn't have the tools to remove the front wheel for example.

The axle 19mm allen head sockets can be bought from any major tool house from Sears to Matco but I believe the best price for an adequate tool to do the job can be found at Harbor Freight for a 1/3rd of the price of the big tool places.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gilk51 said:
I bought this set at Autozone for $8. I actually tried two different locations before I found it - they had it at the 24-hour store.

Now, where do you need the 19mm hex socket?
Thanks. My second Autozone yesterday had these.
Now, asking the mechanic at the stealership near my work why this was not in the factory kit" Suzuki kinda doesn't want guys takin' their front wheel off a lot"
Great answer. Thanks. Now I know why I do my own work. To protect me from myself. Kinda understand all the stickers (that usta be) on the bike now. Corporate policy and all.

·
Adventure Boy®
282 Posts
catneck said:
Now, asking the mechanic at the stealership near my work why this was not in the factory kit...
My observation from the various motorcycle kits I have seen, the bikes should have yet another sticker:

The enclosed tool kit is simply a template for the basic tools you need to purchase and carry. You may need to suppliment your kit with additional tools. Do not attempt to use the included tools for loosening, leveraging, or tightening components of your motorcycle.

:p

D

·
0 Posts
McMaster-Carr is a source for the 1/2" drive, 19 mm hex socket for the DL1000 front axle. Speaking of wheel removal tools, the rear axle castle nut is torqued to ~70 ft/lbs. Does anyone actually use the toolkit wrench to remove it?? I use a breaking bar and a beefy socket..

·
Registered
360 Posts
The DL650 front axle bolt is definitely 12mm, not 19. 12mm sockets are hard to come by but Sears has a plain old 12mm allen wrench. You can get this and cut a piece off using a Dremel tool with the little cutting wheels. Don't bother with a hacksaw because the wrench's steel is very hard stuff. You can then take the section you sawed off and use a regular 12mm socket to get the axle out. Just make sure you cut the section long enough to go all the way into the axle with enough left for the regular 12mm socket. IIRC, 3/4" is about right.

·
Registered
441 Posts
special tools? we don't need no stinking special tools!

You don't really need a special tool although that's good if you happen to have one.

The answer is easy. Go to the hardware store. Get a big metric bolt maybe 40mm long. Get one who's head (and matching nuts) fit perfectly inside the hollow hex. Now buy that puppy and two nuts. Put the head of the bolt in a vise very tightly, put both nuts on the end of the bolt. Use really big wrenches/socket and tighten the two nuts against each other so tightly they'll never come apart and so their sides align. There's your tool. Put the nut end in the hollow axle and put a big wrench or socket on the head of the bolt. Now you have a wrench for the front wheel. Keep this bolt in your tool kit.
This is the first thing I put in my tool kit the week I bought my bike last year.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The bolt and two nuts idea works, I just did it.

But I ended up welding them all together - otherwise they attempt to rotate when unscrewing the axle.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Good work!

Yup the bolt two nuts thing works great and it's cheap. You're right on with the welding. It's great if you can do that and I should get mine welded too.
I cannot take credit for this idea. The very day I bought my Strom, a good friend and BMW GS rider instructed me to "go make one of those, right away and put it in your kit." I didn't even have to go to the hardware store. I had the bits in my metric hardware stash.

I found if I reefed the two nuts together with really long wrenches in a great big vise (and use some red loctite) it works OK but it could come apart someday.

Ride well!

Jeff

·
Registered
236 Posts
I found if I reefed the two nuts together with really long wrenches in a great big vise (and use some red loctite) it works OK but it could come apart someday.

Ride well!

Jeff
JB Weld! :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts