StromTrooper banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Wee has 12,000 miles, almost entirely on paved roads. I weigh about 200. Lately I've noticed that the front wheel doesn't feel planted on rough roads. Wheel feels like it is jumping up and down and doesn't stay on the surface. Is this a sign that the fork needs to be rebuilt with new springs?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
IMO...steering head bearings. VERY IMPORTANT! stock ones are crap...

add a fork brace while you are doing it...

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had similar problem that was caused by bad front tire.

Dave

·
Registered
111 Posts
Double check tire pressure and check for scalloping

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
And, it can be a combination of ingredients. A worn front tire plus loose steering stem bearings can cause interesting actions. Sticky forks might be part of the recipe--clean fork oil is never a bad idea. A fork brace is a help, but other stuff must be right, too.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tire still has 1000 miles of tread on it, and there doesn't seem to be uneven wear. Tire preasure OK too. It just seems kind of early for the steering bearings to go out. I mostly ride it solo.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Both our 1000 and 650 stock fronts started scalloping around 11K and head shake made it impossible to remove both hands from the bars while riding. Rplacement of front tires made all the difference.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Can you elaborate on how the fork behaves after hitting a bump? Does it absorb the impact then reach equilibrium? Or, does it keep wallowing up and down til eventually it quiets down again? When sitting on the bike, and at a stop, how far does your fork compress when you are sitting on it?

Or are you describing that the fork wags side to side too? And, are there any creaks or clunks that are associated with steering, or a bump impact?

Needz mo' info', bro!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Perhaps its just because I also have a ST1300, which is a much heavier bike, but I've never noticed this before. But anyhow, on paved streets that are old asphalt, and have a rough surface, I can feel all the bumpiness. Its almost like on those surfaces, I'm riding on solid tires, not tires with air in them. Like there is no give, similar to when you ride a bicycle with high compression tires, but not as bad as that. The fork seems to compress normally about 1 1/4 inch when I sit on the bike. There's no leakage. Tire preasure is at 33 ????????????

1 - 12 of 12 Posts