StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike fell over and the left turn signal has to be replaced. So, with new turn signal in hand, $42, I began removing what was left of the old one. Unbolting the remaining piece was no problem, but when it came to disconnecting the plastic connection for the wires, it would not come apart. So, what is the trick? The new wire definitely matches the old, and I can see a little square nub which I assume clicks in somehow, but how do you get it to disconnect. I ended up cutting the connector off the new light and connecting the wires to the old, still connected wires in the old connector. It will work, but I don’t like being defeated by a small plastic connector.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
Oh, there's a connector? I just cut the old wires and soldered the new ones in. :mrgreen:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
There is a plastic locking lever on the connector. It needs to be lifted to separate the two pieces.

·
Registered
341 Posts
In the connection, there is a little lever that pins the turn signal connector. Just put your finger into that lever as far as you can and pull it apart.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again.

I won't be re-doing my wiring job for now, but to your replys I know how to do it correctly the next time. I'm assuming this isn't only place Suzuki used these connectors.:thumbup: What a great website.

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,115 Posts
My memory is probably poor but, as I remember, there may be only two electrical connectors in a DL1000 that are the same configuration. Almost every one seems to have a different security/fastening method which tests your ingenuity (and patience).

·
Registered
180 Posts
Only $42 what a bargain, my replacements cost $120 each, the price of living in Godzone. Still, at that price I've taped up the old one's until they are beyond use (yes, I've managed to damage both, a gift I have ) Note to self ' I must remember to put down the kick stand...every time:furious:

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
$42 actually $48

I mis-stated the cost. I paid $48 for the turn signal and $12 for a clutch lever plus $10 shipping from Cheapcycleparts.com. While I was working on the turn signals, I spray painted the inside with silver paint, as was suggested in another post, and also added bright silver duct tape where it was easy to fit it in. To my eye, it makes a worthwhile difference.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Next time (inevitable...) consider replacing with Buell Ulysses turn signals. Narrower, more flexible, still quite visable and much less expensive. Although, might be more difficult to get now that Buell's gone out of business. I still see them on ebay for about $20 (used to be $12). Not a perfect fit, as they fit into, not over the indent for the TS on the cowling, but not really noticable. You have to redo the wiring, of course to hook up to the stock wiring.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Or put some short stalks minis on that, in combo with crash bars, wont come off. Just in case I might encounter an extraordinary wild day, I super glued the two rubber pieces that connect the fairing rubber to the stalk rubber. It will let go if needed to safe the housing (I hope).
[/IMG]

·
Registered
341 Posts
Next time (inevitable...) consider replacing with Buell Ulysses turn signals. Narrower, more flexible, still quite visable and much less expensive. Although, might be more difficult to get now that Buell's gone out of business. I still see them on ebay for about $20 (used to be $12). Not a perfect fit, as they fit into, not over the indent for the TS on the cowling, but not really noticable. You have to redo the wiring, of course to hook up to the stock wiring.
I just bought set and they came from the US warehouse. There is still stock but sooner or later, they are going to run out. On the other hand, HD is suppose to keep Buell stock for seven years.

Why bother with FleaBay, I think the HD dealer price is 14 bucks.

They look good on a black bike. Better then the original.

·
Registered
197 Posts
front turn signal replacement

Would you consider installing flush mount signals? Then you would never have them break again. I put some on mine after the original owner had broken the left front signal and never got around to replacing it. I think they are only about $20 each. Mine went on with the same connectors (bullet type) as the stock ones. I did have to drill holes in the fairing, though. My Wee is an '06.

Attachments

·
Registered
774 Posts
Do you have a phone number or url for ordering? I called every HD dealer in a 150 mile radius and they won't order or support Buell.

I just bought set and they came from the US warehouse. There is still stock but sooner or later, they are going to run out. On the other hand, HD is suppose to keep Buell stock for seven years.

Why bother with FleaBay, I think the HD dealer price is 14 bucks.

They look good on a black bike. Better then the original.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Would you consider installing flush mount signals? Then you would never have them break again. I put some on mine after the original owner had broken the left front signal and never got around to replacing it. I think they are only about $20 each. Mine went on with the same connectors (bullet type) as the stock ones. I did have to drill holes in the fairing, though. My Wee is an '06.
what brand and model are the lights? They look great. How is the visibility?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Do you have a phone number or url for ordering? I called every HD dealer in a 150 mile radius and they won't order or support Buell.
I ordered them from Jacox in Mississauga.

Jacox Harley-Davidson, Inc. The GTA's First and Most Respected New & Used Harley-Davidson Dealership

Are you going to ex-Buell dealers in your area? A quick search on Google.....

DALES HARLEY-DAVIDSON OF MT. VERNON
IL, 62864 MOUNT VERNON, 1121 VETERANS MEMORIAL DRIVE

I wouldn't go in there telling them you have a Strom. Try the old "my wife has a Buell Blast and she dropped it".

·
Registered
197 Posts
turn sinal replacement

what brand and model are the lights? They look great. How is the visibility?

They are just as bright as the stock lights. A little better from the side, actually. The brand is Lockhart Phillips, model number 122 9702. They are sold in a blister pack of two for $14.95. Originally, I think they were intended to be trailer running lights.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts