StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have about 7k on Michelin pilot road4trail. Front tire down to wear bars, rear tire still has a few thousand left. I've never worn a front tire first, I do ride in urban environment alot, I have done a good bit of hard breaking, and it's not air pressure I'm religious at checking bi weekly, 38 42. Just kinda suprised. Anyone have similar wear?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
You need to update your location dude. Cause 7000kms is disturbingly low.
I usually get a ratio of 2 rears for 1 front. The T31s i have currently run me 3 rears for 1 front.

I don't check my tires, they don't have time to deflate between changes.

·
Registered
788 Posts
So I have about 7k on Michelin pilot road4trail. Front tire down to wear bars, rear tire still has a few thousand left. I've never worn a front tire first, I do ride in urban environment alot, I have done a good bit of hard breaking, and it's not air pressure I'm religious at checking bi weekly, 38 42. Just kinda suprised. Anyone have similar wear?
I've been using that tire with mostly urban riding and look to be getting better than twice that many miles on the front. (I tend to brake at about a third to half a G when approaching turns that need slowing.) I keep the tires near the factory-recommended pressure, at 33 for the front. I wonder if you are seeing extra wear near the middle of the front tire's width. With the higher pressure you (seem to) report, I expect your front contact patch is narrowed and concentrates stress toward the middle. This is just a reasoned guess at why you are seeing early wear-out.

·
Registered
388 Posts
So I have about 7k on Michelin pilot road4trail.
My PR4 Trail front lasted 13,000 miles and had another 1-2000 miles left. However I was going on a 1500 mile trip so changed it early. The PR4 Trail rear lasted 7500 miles. My PR5 (not trail) rear is lasting better. It has 7500 miles on it now and looks like lasting maybe 2000 miles more.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
That's not a lot of mileage for a front. Other members will chime in, but it sounds like an outlier case.

I currently have almost 8k miles on my OEM TW, still lots of life left. I'm going to pull it anyway to put on matching shinko's.

·
Registered
294 Posts
PR4 Trail front and rear went 11k mi with about another thousand left. I changed them because the center was at the wear bar on the front and almost at the center on the rear. The PR5 I am liking a lot more than the 4. The ride is much improved; surer grip and no squirming in all conditions.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
One of the reasons the fronts last longer than the rears is that the front does fewer revolutions per mile. So your results indicates some sort of error. (or you simply never use the rear brake in the city)

You might look to see if the tire is mounted evenly (radially) around the rim.
There is likely a thin raised rib on the tire next to the rim that can give you a visual. Otherwise you can fabricate a makeshift dial indicator and spin the tire to check if it is radially out-of-round.

The other thing to check is how much balance weight did the front require (or any chance the weights fell off?)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
One of the reasons the fronts last longer than the rears is that the front does fewer revolutions per mile. So your results indicates some sort of error. (or you simply never use the rear brake in the city)

You might look to see if the tire is mounted evenly (radially) around the rim.
There is likely a thin raised rib on the tire next to the rim that can give you a visual. Otherwise you can fabricate a makeshift dial indicator and spin the tire to check if it is radially out-of-round.

The other thing to check is how much balance weight did the front require (or any chance the weights fell off?)
One of the main reasons why the back tire gets used faster is directly linked to your right hand.
Even if i'm hard on my back tire, a front tire that doesn't last me at least 20000kms is abnormal.

·
Registered
506 Posts
One of the main reasons why the back tire gets used faster is directly linked to your right hand.

Even if i'm hard on my back tire, a front tire that doesn't last me at least 20000kms is abnormal.
Exactly..

"One of the reasons the fronts last longer than the rears is that the front does fewer revolutions per mile. So your results indicates some sort of error. (or you simply never use the rear brake in the city)"

This comment makes no sense to me at all. I wear out rear tires 2:1 because of the throttle...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
273 Posts
LOTS of heavy braking on the front tire accomplishes the same thing to the front tire as heavy acceleration does to the rear, but OP's case does seem to be a very accelerated example...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Maybe it's the 400lb toolbag under the beak:grin2:
Seriously, It sounds like you have a defective tire. I'd check with your Michelin dealer where you got the tire. there should be a prorated warranty on the tire or possibly a "good faith" replacement program in place.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Exactly..
"One of the reasons the fronts last longer than the rears is that the front does fewer revolutions per mile. So your results indicates some sort of error. (or you simply never use the rear brake in the city)"

This comment makes no sense to me at all. I wear out rear tires 2:1 because of the throttle...
branthopolis; "LOTS of heavy braking on the front tire accomplishes the same thing to the front tire as heavy acceleration does to the rear, but OP's case does seem to be a very accelerated example... "

As branthopolis points out (for the sake of discussion) If the rear acceleration and the front braking scrubbing were equal ... my point was simply that the 19" front makes fewer revolutions per mile than dose the 17" rear.
While tire brands have slightly different circumferences, for the Avon TrailRiders I use, the math works out like this:
Front 26.1 Circumference 81.9956. 791 rev/mile
Rear 24.8. circumference 77.9115. 840 rev/mile
Over 6000 miles the rear tire does about 294000 more revolutions than the front.

Obviously, digging out of a corner, turn after turn, eats up a tire. I am not saying that isn't true. But the OP is doing his riding in a urban setting.
Always happy to be corrected if my math is wrong.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
LOTS of heavy braking on the front tire accomplishes the same thing to the front tire as heavy acceleration does to the rear, but OP's case does seem to be a very accelerated example...
Unless you lock the front wheel often, there's no way the front tire should get the same stress as the rear.
The rear one has most of the weight, and puts power to the road. That's why i set traction control to 2 when i want the back tire to last a little more, having the little light flicker all the time reminds me to let off the throttle.

In twisties, i had the front wheel slide a little maybe 2-3 times. The rear one? A little too often >:)

·
Registered
506 Posts
branthopolis; "LOTS of heavy braking on the front tire accomplishes the same thing to the front tire as heavy acceleration does to the rear, but OP's case does seem to be a very accelerated example... "

As branthopolis points out (for the sake of discussion) If the rear acceleration and the front braking scrubbing were equal ... my point was simply that the 19" front makes fewer revolutions per mile than dose the 17" rear.

While tire brands have slightly different circumferences, for the Avon TrailRiders I use, the math works out like this:

Front 26.1 Circumference 81.9956. 791 rev/mile

Rear 24.8. circumference 77.9115. 840 rev/mile

Over 6000 miles the rear tire does about 294000 more revolutions than the front.

Obviously, digging out of a corner, turn after turn, eats up a tire. I am not saying that isn't true. But the OP is doing his riding in a urban setting.

Always happy to be corrected if my math is wrong.
I get what you are saying and understand the math, but in practice all my sport bikes have equal diameter wheels and the 2:1 wear ratio still holds true. Now pure track riding is another story...hard braking into every corner takes its toll on the front tire resulting in more equal wear. On the street, I ride "the pace" and use engine braking more than my pads and rotors...

I expect in this case he is overinflating his front and riding mostly upright with lots of braking in traffic. Difference in wheel diameter is a not a significant contributing factor IMO.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
333 Posts

Not the same tyre but the same brand - I have Michelin Anakee 3 this time and will get 20,000 kms (12,500 miles) out of them but the front will be the clincher.
I've usually had rears go first but this time the front is struggling to match the rear tyre mileage

·
Registered
333 Posts
Maybe it's the 400lb toolbag under the beak:grin2:
Seriously, It sounds like you have a defective tire. I'd check with your Michelin dealer where you got the tire. there should be a prorated warranty on the tire or possibly a "good faith" replacement program in place.

extremely unlikely anyone could claim a defective tyre if it runs true and has no issues other than wearing a bit faster on the front than the rear.
A dealer would think the complainant has rocks in his head, not least of all because he's done 11,200 kms on it. It would certainly fuel morning tea joviality in the dealer lunchroom

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Meh...I run A3s now. I always get about 10K miles rear, 7K miles front. About 3 fronts to 2 rears.

In the past I used A2s and Tourance. I would get 10K miles rear, 15K miles front.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts