StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a front tire is squared off should it be replaced? My front still has about half the tread left but is looking squared off. Is this dangerous? should I replace it? The rear needs to be replaced as well.

·
Registered
740 Posts
square tire, alright?

If a front tire is squared off should it be replaced? My front still has about half the tread left but is looking squared off. Is this dangerous? should I replace it? The rear needs to be replaced as well.
I see no reason to worry about it. At the contact patch, 35-40% of the bike/rider weight is deforming the tire to create a flat patch. All that minor excess wear of the tread center is doing is slightly altering the amount by which the patch part of the tire imparts a torque to the bike when leaned. But the air filled rubber is so compliant that this torque is small relative to the other forces tending to lean and unlean the bike. The fact that the force is slightly redistributed over the contact patch, relative to what the distribution would be absent the flattening, does not alter the normal force integrated over the patch area, and hence does not alter available traction in street riding. (It would only be where side slip is heating the rubber that this non-alteration would be slightly off, and then it would be harmless too. But that's further into this than matters.)

The bottom line is that you have lost no available traction. The worst effect is that some might regard your tire the same way they would if they saw chicken strips. Just outlive them, I say.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys that's what I figured. I ordered a near rear tire last night. Just went with the factory OEM replacement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts