StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Owners Manual calls for a special tool for removal of the axle shaft as part of the front tire removal. Is this tool definetley needed or is there a substitute method?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Rick @ Adventure-Tech sells a Front Axle Hex Tool that works with 2002-2013 DL1000's.The tool is cheap at only $4 but shipping as quoted seems a little high for such a small thing. Give them a call and they'll probably re-quote at a lower rate. If your 1000 is newer, they are working on a tool for it.

Specials and Promotions - AdventureTech, LLC.

·
Administrator
17,521 Posts
Rick @ Adventure-Tech sells a Front Axle Hex Tool that works with 2002-2013 DL1000's.The tool is cheap at only $4 but shipping as quoted seems a little high for such a small thing. Give them a call and they'll probably re-quote at a lower rate. If your 1000 is newer, they are working on a tool for it.

Specials and Promotions - AdventureTech, LLC.
Nope he does not have one yet for the Vee2, but for the rest of us who ride the other year models that is great. :fineprint:

·
Registered
62 Posts
It turns out that the sparkplug wrench in my tool kit fits the front axle. However, it is not nearly strong enough to actually remove the axle. Seems like a poor design to me. I carry a huge allen wrench under my seat just for that axle - but I'm considering getting and adapter - like the the adventure tech one - and welding it to the end of the axle. That way I can remove the axle with a wrench and don't have to worry about finding the one specialty tool I need.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The Owners Manual calls for a special tool for removal of the axle shaft as part of the front tire removal. Is this tool definetley needed or is there a substitute method?
You can always just pick up a nut that fits in the axle and use a conventional wrench on the nut.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I use a threaded rod joining nut available at Home Depot.
It is about two inches long.
I think it is 13/16 or 15/16.
Just slip it in and hold with a socket or wrench.
About two bucks.
Works great and is so close of a fit as to not want to turn and damage axle.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The 24MM bolt and nut work very well for a cheap tool in a spot.
Head of the bolt goes into the axle the nut is used to remove it, when I made these in the past I would Tig weld the nut to the bolt, this in some cases allows you to use a diff size nut to in a sense you have two tools.

24 & 22mm.

Total cost is about 4 bucks all in give or take.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts