StromTrooper banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I posted that my front end wobbled if I let go of the bars,,not all the time, but often. When on the center stand and front off the ground, head bearings seem fine, the wheel does fall to the brake sde, but the brake res is heavy enough to do that...I guesss

Is it safe to ride the wheel cupping if plenty of thread? It's an Avon disanszia

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Cupping or scalloping of front tires is common. If the wear concerns you or handling becomes an issue replace it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've never had a bike that didn't cup the front tire. Hard cornering and a 250lb rider will do it every time. Ride it until you don't feel comfortable with it and then get a new tire.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm running the same tires, the front will cup like mad. Run 40-42 PSI in it to minimize it all you can, but it will still carve the front edge off pretty severly.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
the wheel does fall to the brake sde, but the brake res is heavy enough to do that...I guesss

Is it safe to ride the wheel cupping if plenty of thread? It's an Avon disanszia
If this is true, then my opinion is, your stem bearings are loose.

(I once mounted an Avon Distanzia on my rear wheel. I will never own another Avon tire again! I gave mine away with more then half of its life left it in. It could not hold up to the kind of aggressive riding that I do. It would not hold traction and kept slipping out from underneath the bike.)

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
My bearings are good. My tire is a new tourance. The old tourance cupped moderately. Mine shakes it head when decelerating at around 35 to 25.

Has since it was born. You solve it let me know.

2007Vee with fork brace. I just keep my hands on the bars where they should be and pretend its OK.

·
Registered
522 Posts

(I once mounted an Avon Distanzia on my rear wheel. I will never own another Avon tire again! I gave mine away with more then half of its life left it in. It could not hold up to the kind of aggressive riding that I do. It would not hold traction and kept slipping out from underneath the bike.)
Black Lab: I had same problem with my Distanzias. Rear slid out and front cupped. In my opinion I am not that aggressive a rider. I know of 3 other people in the group of riders that I normally go with that have quit riding Distanzias as well. Additionally, based on the mileage I got out of them they should be called "shortstanzias". Under 4k on the rear and was showing the belts.

My cheap Shinko 712's were much better than the Avon Distanzia was both in grip and durability.

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts

Don't paint all Avons with the same brush. They make some excellent tires like the Storm ST 2 and the Cobra line.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My bearings are good. My tire is a new tourance. The old tourance cupped moderately. Mine shakes it head when decelerating at around 35 to 25.

Has since it was born. You solve it let me know.

2007Vee with fork brace. I just keep my hands on the bars where they should be and pretend its OK.
Exactly! 2004 wee. The rear is the same tire, doing fine. It freaks me a bit to think if I let go of the bars the thing would get so violent it would highside me. So I just always keep a hand on a grip:yesnod:

I am new to the blacktop with street tires, have ridden knobbies on DS bikes. I am no judger of handling, but the wee handles REAL good, and the tires do grip nicely. I think I am going pretty slow....a good friend has a Triumph Tiger, and we go slower on these bikes than we do on our KTM EXC's with non DOT tires:jawdrop:

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Don't paint all Avons with the same brush. They make some excellent tires like the Storm ST 2 and the Cobra line.
I didn't.

If you read my post carefully, I distinctly mention Avon Distanzias. I have no experience with any other tire Avon makes, so I can't comment on other models.

Distanzias I Distrust.

·
Registered
70 Posts
In two non-wee bikes, the front wobble was eliminated and tire cupping reduced or eliminated by changing head bearings to tapered roller bearings.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I just took those Distanzo tires off Friday and put on the Radial Shinko 705 tires front and rear. I am going to try running the front at 44 PSI and see if that firms things up enough to end some amount of the severe cupping.

At 36 PSI in the Distanzo tire the front was cupped to the casing at 4,800 miles. It had to come off before the rear that was just even with the wear bars.

·
Registered
22,423 Posts
I didn't.

If you read my post carefully, I distinctly mention Avon Distanzias. I have no experience with any other tire Avon makes, so I can't comment on other models.

Distanzias I Distrust.
I'm glad you clarified that, you did say

I will never own another Avon tire again!
I tried the distanzias on my SV, while they were a decent street tire, I thought they sucked in gravel and never made it to winter, went back to runnin Pirelli MTR60 Corsas, on the other hand, the Avon Azaro ST was my favorite "summer" tire

vowed never to try em on my Vee

fwiw, I weigh 300 geared up

some tires scallop, sometimes pressure makes a difference, and some tires stay round

with TKCs I get a scalloping pattern, with KarooTs I get a sawblade pattern, my original trailwinngs scalloped, I had a Road attack that wore evenly as well as a Maxxis Detour and Dunlop 607

on my SV, MeZ4s scalloped like heck, the MTR60s also scalloped badly(less with higher pressure) but the Azaros wore evenly

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts