StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the my tires (OEM Trailwings to Battlewings) this past weekend after one last ride to Bike Week and encountered some unique issues compared to my earlier bikes. The biggest challenge was the front tire, as I don't have a center stand or motorcycle lift. I tried laying the bike on its side, but the wheel wasn't off the ground. I thought about tilting the bike further back to get the front wheel to lift but abandoned that idea as I could envision my handlebars driving into the sand.

I looked around the garage for something that could work, and eventually settled on a car ramp. My concept was to position the ramp under the left side of the engine as I laid the bike down. The handlebars wouldn't have to be cocked, and when settled, the bike would be parallel to the ground, about 8 inches up. It would also be easier to pick up the bike after the tire change.

It worked well enough that I thought to share the idea. I added some towels to prevent paint damage. I also removed the shift lever just so I had extra room as I laid the bike over. I didn't want all that weight to be on the shift lever. The lever can be swung out of the way after removing a single c-clip. Lastly, I did remove the calipers and hung them out of the way, but you can likely leave them in place. I did the job by myself, and re-installing the wheel without having to worry about rotor to caliper alignment was easier for me.

I suggest loosening the pinch bolts to at least break the axle free prior to laying the bike over. You can probably loosen the axle when it's on its side, but why damage the end caps, grips, etc. if you don't have to. I've attached a single picture to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Attachments

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
Be aware laying the bike on its side, especially the left side, is likely to allow oil to migrate through the breather tubes into the air box.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
I did remove the calipers and hung them out of the way, but you can likely leave them in place.
Typically, you only need to remove one caliper on the front wheel, (I only have experience with a non-ABS version of a DL-650).

I remove the right caliper because I am standing there removing the axle from that side as well. I leave the left caliper in place when I am changing tires.

Heed Greywolf's advice!

B.L.

·
38,047 Posts
I like to take off both calipers. They are only two bolts each. I find it much easier to put a caliper on a wheel than a wheel on a caliper. Getting the speedo sensor and ABS pickup in place before getting the axle on is enough fun without having to get the rotor into floppy brake pads.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
I like to take off both calipers. They are only two bolts each. I find it much easier to put a caliper on a wheel than a wheel on a caliper. Getting the speedo sensor and ABS pickup in place before getting the axle on is enough fun without having to get the rotor into floppy brake pads.
My bike is a little "different" then yours. Right caliper is all that I need to remove. :thumbup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Be aware laying the bike on its side, especially the left side, is likely to allow oil to migrate through the breather tubes into the air box.
Thanks for that information. It definitely wasn't something I considered. I thought of gas and oil spillage onto the ground but not back into the airbox. It's definitely a kluge setup and one that I won't likely use in the next tire change mostly because I plan to have a motorcycle jack by that time.

Anyway, I just checked the airbox and all was OK. The box, filter and coarse breather foam were dry. Thanks again.

·
38,047 Posts
I was kinda surprised the air box was dry given how many zero mph drops oiled them. I guess a couple of factors were different. One is the bike went to horizontal but not past it. I think the biggie though is the engine here was not running.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was kinda surprised the air box was dry given how many zero mph drops oiled them. I guess a couple of factors were different. One is the bike went to horizontal but not past it. I think the biggie though is the engine here was not running.
Yeah, I thought about this some more today and the angle definitely came to mind. I would think the location of the breather vent (more to the right side of the chassis) would almost by default prevent this from happening. Laid over on its left side, the breather is still pretty high in relation to the oil. I would think there would be more of an issue if it were laid over on the right side. Either way, I was probably just lucky with this time. Good point about a running engine ... that would erase all bets regardless of what side it was laid down on.

·
38,047 Posts
On the left side, any oil in the hose would go downhill into the airbox. Drop a bike with a running engine and that probably happens. right side drop would have to go uphill through the hose.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Front Wheel Solution

I wish I had a pic of this..............

In our neighborhood we use my neighbor Bobs "Bike Bondage Rack". It's a nice home made rack that gets the front tire off the ground for tire changes. He made it out of some galvinized steel piping from the local home improvement store. It basically looks like a big upside down "U" that has "T"s for feet. Over all height is about 6' so you can use ratchet straps to get even the taller bikes off the ground. Again, I wish I had some pics.:headbang: Maybe later.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Post Front Tire Change Noises

Somewhat off topic, but it's related to this thread that I started. Can the front wheel assembly be inserted either way between the fork tubes?

The reason I ask is that there is usually some identifier on the hub or another piece (speedometer cable, different size collars, etc.) that clearly let you know how to orient the assembly. It doesn't appear the V-Strom has this, so one could imagine taking off a tire, placing the rim down and forgetting which side was which.

The reason I ask is that after changing my tire (Trailwings to Battlewings), I have noticed a noise emanating from the front wheel. I can hear it during deceleration (that doesn't mean it's not happening at other times) from 30 mph down to about 20 mph. It's very low, almost like tire noise, but it has a mechanical sound to it as well.

I'm nearly 100% sure the wheel assembly is oriented the same way as it was prior to me takign it off, as I had marked the rotors accordingly. I also static balanced the tire (14g) and performed that whole axle alignment procedure before tightening the pinch bolts. I'll re-seat the axle tonight just because I can. Has anyone had this noise issue after changing tires? This is my first set of Battlewings, so maybe they are just plain noisier and resonate at those speeds.

Thank you for any inputs.

·
38,047 Posts
There is a direction arrow on at least one of the "spokes".

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Can the front wheel assembly be inserted either way between the fork tubes?
Speedo assembly is on one side, yes? Pretty hard to reverse that.

Make sure the speedo assembly is greased. Mysterious squeaks or chirps might be coming from there. BTDT.

·
Registered
543 Posts
...noticed a noise emanating from the front wheel. I can hear it during deceleration (that doesn't mean it's not happening at other times) from 30 mph down to about 20 mph. It's very low, almost like tire noise, but it has a mechanical sound to it as well.
I would almost guarantee that the tread is reversed. The tire has a rotation arrow, where it's stamped "Front Use Only____>>>".

So either the tire is mounted correctly and the wheel mounted reversed, or the wheel is mounted correctly and the tire reversed. :oops:

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I would almost guarantee that the tread is reversed. The tire has a rotation arrow, where it's stamped "Front Use Only____>>>".

So either the tire is mounted correctly and the wheel mounted reversed, or the wheel is mounted correctly and the tire reversed. :oops:
If that's the case, you should stop riding on that tire immediately, replace it, and destroy it. Because of the way motorcycle tires are constructed, riding on it backwards can cause catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Speedo assembly is on one side, yes? Pretty hard to reverse that.

Make sure the speedo assembly is greased. Mysterious squeaks or chirps might be coming from there. BTDT.
Thanks. I'm not an expert on all V-Strom models/years, but my DL1000K7 doesn't have a speedometer cable. There is only an axle and collar to remove, no speedometer assembly. It must have a pickup on the fork tubes or similar.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If that's the case, you should stop riding on that tire immediately, replace it, and destroy it. Because of the way motorcycle tires are constructed, riding on it backwards can cause catastrophic failure.
Thanks. The tire was mounted in the proper direction and I found the little arrow stamped on the spoke as <b>greywolf</b> had mentioned. So both the wheel and tire are mounted properly. I didn't do much more than loosen the axle and re-seat it last night and only rode it 2 miles to work today. I'll check it out more tonight.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Thanks. I'm not an expert on all V-Strom models/years, but my DL1000K7 doesn't have a speedometer cable. There is only an axle and collar to remove, no speedometer assembly. It must have a pickup on the fork tubes or similar.
Oh, crap, sorry -- this thread is not model-specific, you didn't specify the Vee, and I didn't think about the difference before I answered. So yeah, my answer only applies to the six-fiddy.

·
Registered
21,984 Posts

:green_lol:

I reverse direction of directional tires on a regular basis to get more wear, especially on knobbies that wear like a sawblade on the front, my current front tire has been backward for the last 2000 miles :yikes:

the only catastrauphic failure you will see is under braking on a wet road when the tread doesn't move the water away

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts