StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I'm getting my 2012 Wee ready for a weekend road trip and decided to change the front tire. I have Pitbull rear and front (triple tree) stands. I wasn't able to get the pin inserted completely in the triple tree socket, but it went in far enough to get the front tire off the floor of the garage so I could remove it. Installing the new tire on the rim went just fine.

Now, though, I'm finding it impossible to get the wheel with the new tire installed under the front fender - there's just not enough room. I'm very hesitant to try to force it out of concern that the bike will slip off the triple tree pin and come crashing onto the forks. The bike does not have a center stand, and there are no rafters accessible in the garage strong enough to let me hoist the bike up farther. What to do?

Thanks,

Trent

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The tire was deflated, but pulling the valve core gave me enough wiggle to get the tire back out from under the fender. The jack in the wife's car, though, is too short to reach any part of the bike that could support its weight. Worse case scenario, I guess I could go rent a proper jack tomorrow.

The next question is: where is a safe lift point for the Wee with an auto jack? I've got a set of crash bars, but no skid plate.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I once changed the front wheel using two jack stands and an auto jack (I didn't have a center stand then. I used a jack stand for each swing arm, the auto jack (with a small 2x4) on the oil filter mounting point (making sure not to touch the delicate filter).

·
Registered
877 Posts
Maybe backing off the rear preload, or deflating the rear tire- I don't know how your rear stand works. You can use wood blocks with a jack if it won't reach. Or, put some dead weight on the rear seat.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
The next question is: where is a safe lift point for the Wee with an auto jack? I've got a set of crash bars, but no skid plate.
I'm sure this is not suggested by the pros, but I use the part of the engine that the oil filter threads into, just behind the filter enough that there isn't undue stress on the filter. There is kind of a flat spot there that captures the head of the jack. The scissor jack from my poor totaled Honda Civic works fine to support it, though the balance is a bit precarious since the jack head is fairly small. I do have a centerstand though so this may not work for you.

I lift the bike only long enough to remove the wheel, I do all the actual loosening and tightening of the axle, pinch bolts, caliper bolts, ABS sensor, etc., while the bike is planted on terra firma.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
You may have to loosen the bolts on the fender and get it up...I have to. One more reason I want to raise my fender.
Before trying that, see the sticky warning on the front fender bolts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your help. I managed to get the wheel mounted and everything buttoned back up properly. Using the oil filter mount as the jack attachment point did the trick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts