StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice some kind of play "gap" on the front system, i can notice when braking progressively at slow speeds right when you press little more the break to stop completely.

I cannot understand if it comes from the brakes, from the handlebar, or from a bearing?

Anyone with sth similar?

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I have not experienced that, but maybe you could try to use some nylon straps to help pinpoint it. If you attach straps tight around parts that could move, then make it happen and see if any straps moved. If they didn't then keep trying to wrap them around different things until you get some movement. Another way might be to put a camera on certain parts, like pointing at your front brake, then make it happen and review the video.

Its not your handle grip slipping or something?

Check the basic parts like the pinch bolts at the bottom of the forks, and the brake caliper bolts.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for the answer, no it's definately not the handle grip.
I took it to the garage for the recall, and i mentioned about that, in order to be chacked. They told me that it is from the brake disk, due to their, type, not sure how they are called.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used to have a Versys 650 and it had front brake shudder frequently. On that bike the disc was attached to the hub flange with a two piece threaded bushing. I had to take the bushings apart and clean them up so that the disc was free to float a little. Cant remember if the v2 has two piece bushings or one piece. If they are one piece you can put a bolt through the bushing and a nut on the outside. Then chuck the thread of the bolt into a drill and spin the bushing moderately while spraying some break clean in the bushing to try and free it.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
It's okay. All V-Stroms except the Vee2 have floating calipers on the front as well as the rotor a little loose on the hub. I have no idea what you mean by gap or play though.

·
Super Moderator
5,134 Posts
I think that the OP needs to give more specific info on his issue.
To me play in the front end would come down to loose steering head bearings or loose handlebar mounts.
Is it a vagueness at the bars or definite freeplay in some part of the steering? Or just a rattle?

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
The brake pads also float a little. With low friction pads you'll get a 'click click click' from the front as they swing forward with friction and air drag then fall back under gravity.

From his description though, just stiction in the front forks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry if i havent been so clear.. i hear a sound as if sth is moves and knocks at another part and makes you think as if there is sth slack on the front.

At the begining i though it might have been steering bearings, but i cant tell for sure

·
Registered
279 Posts
Here is a simple test assuming you have a center stand.
Get the bike up on the stand and weight the rear so the front tire is off the ground.

Spin the front tire in reverse (get is moving pretty good) and slam on the front brakes.
This will set the pads to the rear in the calipers.

Do the same thing with the wheel rotating in a forward direction and repeat. You should hear a slight thunk.

This is the clearance between the pads, caliper housing and the pins holding them in place. This clearance is necessary to allow the pads to move freely as they heat up, allow the clearing of debris which gets in there from riding and other things the engineers designed it to do.

If there is an abnormal amount of movement, I would say a couple MM at most is acceptable, then you need to look at the obvious parts first.
Are the spacers at the front and rear of the pads where they mate to the rotors missing, has there been excessive wear of the pins that pass through the pads etc. etc.

Look at the parts fisch:

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2014-suzuki-v-strom-1000-abs-dl1000a-front-caliper/o/m156516sch870841

4-11 are the pins
5-12 is one of the shims
16 are the others

Just be thorough in your investigation, not rocket science, just have to be methodical in your approach.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Took it again to the dealer, the inspected whether some tighening might be needed along fron suspension but nothing major was found.
We ve arranged the bike to be taken in for handlebar bearings replacement.

It's really a shame a customer to strunggle over 6 months with a couple of issues within warranty, and have the dealer looking into them more seriously and carefully only after issue has been escalated to local authorities

1 - 20 of 25 Posts