StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I purchased a new front sproket, 16t, for my 2009 DL650.

Don't have a shop manual yet.
I did find a bit of info regarding the procedure here.

Any extra tips or guideance would be appreciated.

1. loosen chain
2. Remove front sprocket cover
3. remove nut (impact wrench necessary?)
4. swap out (lock tite? torque spec?)
5. reassemble

Thanks for any tips, advice or cautions

Dmilan

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
Apply the rear brake or put a 2x4 over the swingarm and through the spokes to keep the wheel from turning. Be careful not to pinch the rear brake line. Then a long breaker bar or a shorter one with a pipe cheater bar will get the nut off. An impact wrench just make it quick and easy. The book spec is 105lb-ft with red Loctite but the same nut on the DL1000 has an 83lb-ft spec. I've used 83lb-ft and no Loctite with no problems. The Wee has a bent over washer that should have no trouble keeping the nut from loosening. After one flattening and re-use, I like to replace it.

The clutch adjuster likes to come apart and drop little ball bearings out. Tape it or cable tie it together after taking it off and before letting it hang by the cable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apply the rear brake or put a 2x4 over the swingarm and through the spokes to keep the wheel from turning. Be careful not to pinch the rear brake line. Then a long breaker bar or a shorter one with a pipe cheater bar will get the nut off. An impact wrench just make it quick and easy. The book spec is 105lb-ft with red Loctite but the same nut on the DL1000 has an 83lb-ft spec. I've used 83lb-ft and no Loctite with no problems. The Wee has a bent over washer that should have no trouble keeping the nut from loosening. After one flattening and re-use, I like to replace it.

The clutch adjuster likes to come apart and drop little ball bearings out. Tape it or cable tie it together after taking it off and before letting it hang by the cable.

Thanks,
That'll help

Dmilan

·
38,047 Posts
The stock chain will handle a 16T front.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Any idea how big of a socket the 'engine sprocket nut' will require? I've got all the torque specs from the service manual but nothing mentioned about socket size

·
38,047 Posts
The service manual has a bad spec. Use 83lb-ft, the spec for exactly the same nut down to the part number used on the DL1000 which has more power and no lock nut. 105lb-ft is not needed. It's a 32mm nut. A 1-1/4" socket also works fine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This nut's proving to be a real bastard. Can't get it off with my breaker bar. Socket keeps popping off. I'm thinking of going and getting a socket with less points and/or an impact wrench. The excessive torque and gobs of orange thread lock are proving to be my nemesis!

·
38,047 Posts
Did you try putting the chain on the sprocket before installing the sprocket, or putting the chain in the area before the sprocket?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
be careful beacause

This nut's proving to be a real bastard. Can't get it off with my breaker bar. Socket keeps popping off. I'm thinking of going and getting a socket with less points and/or an impact wrench. The excessive torque and gobs of orange thread lock are proving to be my nemesis!
if you make up a breaker bar from pipes, you may "slip" and scratch up the magneto cover - as I did :headbang:

my sprocket nut on the ABS bike took a lot of effort to break loose. On my non-ABS bike it was no big deal.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Did you try putting the chain on the sprocket before installing the sprocket, or putting the chain in the area before the sprocket?
I did attempt to put the chain on the sprocket first but couldn't get it past the clutch assembly/housing, then I tried putting the sprocket on first then the chain but the gap was too small

·
Registered
66 Posts
if you make up a breaker bar from pipes, you may "slip" and scratch up the magneto cover - as I did :headbang:

my sprocket nut on the ABS bike took a lot of effort to break loose. On my non-ABS bike it was no big deal.
Finally made a PVC breaker bar so I didn't hurt myself (or more importantly the bike). Success!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts