StromTrooper banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my used wee, it had stock gears. I put a 16 tooth cs sprocket on within a few days. I am now putting on a 17. I just realized the 17 is stamped for a 520 chain, as is the 16 I just removed with about 1500 miles on it. Comparing to the factory 15 tooth gear, I don't see a difference in the teeth or gears. I know the chain is 525, but is there a true difference in the sprockets that would make them incompatible with the chain?

Just for reference the sprockets are JT purchased through Rocky Mountain MC. They came up as compatible for the 'strom.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
A 520 chain is narrower than a 525 with the same pitch. It will seem to work but it's a very bad idea. Just be sure the previous owner didn't do a 520 conversion.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike has a 525 chain on it. I mic'd the new sprocket(s) and they are the same thickness as the dampened 15 tooth sprocket that was on the bike when I bought it. Thanks for clarifying that the pitch is he same, that is what I was concerned with. So it appears that the rollers on a 525 are the same diameter as those on a 520, just wider. I went ahead and installed the 17. Since the contact area is the same I don't see where it will be an issue, but maybe it will prove to be.

So, apparently if you use the "search by make/model" feature on the rocky mountain mc site to find a sprocket, it will be stamped 520. What piques my curiosity now is, is a 525 sprocket actually a different thickness?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just answered my own question. I measured the rear sprocket, which is stamped 525. It is within .001" of the front sprockets. And I don't boheto wipe the grime off first. So, it looks like 520/525 sprockets may actually be the same.

·
38,103 Posts

·
38,103 Posts
That does sound familiar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i too ordered the same 16t jt sprocket last week and saw the 520 stamping on it. and after about an hour of cross referencing part numbers found out it was the part number, not for a 520 chain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts