StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently replacing the chain and sprockets on my 2004 DL650. I broke the front sprocket nut loose with a breaker bar, after heating it with a heat gun. Even after I broke it loose, it was very difficult to remove the nut, actually requiring the breaker bar to turn the nut virtually the entire travel.

Now that i am reinstalling the nut, I am experiencing the same difficulty. It is extremely difficult to turn.

Questions:
1) Is this normal?
2) What could be causing this? (Maybe the old threadlocker? Do I need to clean the threads somehow? If so, how?)
3) I know it is recommended that you secure the nut with red threadlocker, but can I use anti-seize (along with the threadlocker) to ease the installation?

Note: this is the first time the front sprocket has been removed/replaced. This novice mechanic would appreciate any ideas, thoughts or wisdom.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
I am currently replacing the chain and sprockets on my 2004 DL650. I broke the front sprocket nut loose with a breaker bar, after heating it with a heat gun. Even after I broke it loose, it was very difficult to remove the nut, actually requiring the breaker bar to turn the nut virtually the entire travel.

Now that i am reinstalling the nut, I am experiencing the same difficulty. It is extremely difficult to turn.

Questions:
1) Is this normal?
2) What could be causing this? (Maybe the old threadlocker? Do I need to clean the threads somehow? If so, how?)
3) I know it is recommended that you secure the nut with red threadlocker, but can I use anti-seize (along with the threadlocker) to ease the installation?

Note: this is the first time the front sprocket has been removed/replaced. This novice mechanic would appreciate any ideas, thoughts or wisdom.
Shouldn't be that hard to turn. Pull it off and inspect the threads on the nut and the shaft very closely. If the nut's threads are messed up, buy a new one. If the ones on the shaft are get a thread file and clean them up.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
HonestBob - thanks for the link. Some good info there.

Rich - thank you as well for your response. I don't think that is the issue, but I will doublecheck. I am the orignal owner and know for a fact that this is the first time the sprocket was removed, so if the threads are messed up, it came that way from the factory. BTW - we have actually talked on the phone before - I bought springs for my Strom from you a few years back. I have also seen your name on some of the KLR250 boards (I assume that was you) - I own a 2005 KLR250.

Hopefully, I can get this sorted out in the next few days. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts