StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new 2018 1000 xt and for my style of riding I think I would enjoy it more if I dropped 1 tooth on the front. Does anyone know what size comes it? Also will I have enough adjustment in the chain? Thanks so much for the help..

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Look up "16t = true love" (I think)

It is a old post by me.

I still love the 16t over the stock 17t and you will have no trouble with your chain.

PS: while your in there make a cover for your clutch pushrod to keep things clean and smooth.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
17 T is geared for the Autobahn. 16T is much more useful if you ride "normal" speed limits in the East and Midwest. With 17T I would go into 6th at 70mph. That's good for the open west.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked up 16t true love! It sounds exactly what I'm looking for. I ordered one from happy trail. Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Let us know what you think. I went with a 16-tooth for a while, and liked it for the most part. But it didn't really give me the extra feeling of power I was hoping for and I was always looking for another gear on the highway. Also, my exhaust (stock) has a loud resonance around 4200 rpm, and the 16t put my highway cruising right in that band more often than the 17t. Not a deal-breaker, but the 16t hits the same tooth - same link more often (https://www.gearingcommander.com/). Ultimately I ended up going back to stock...just twist a little farther and rev a little higher now for more power. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Two years on '14 model with 16T front sprocket and now 6 months on '18 model with 16T and I love it. I don't travel with my bike but use it as every day commuter. I don't understand why did I ride for one year (back in 2014) with 17T sprocket.
I love 16T mainly because of slow speed manouvering, roundabouts etc. Bike feels very controlable by low throttle.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Yes, there is. Find the thread "16T true love" and there will be the part number of OEM 16T sprocket with rubber. I installed one of those.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Is there an original Suzuki 16T with rubber ? At 140 km/h (86ml/h) what RPM it represents ?
According to www.gearingcommander.com 16 T is 5460 rpm @ 140KPH and 17 T is 5130 rpm. I usually change the gearing on my bikes to suit my needs but the stock 1000's 17/41 is just fine. The torquey V twin handles slow speeds on back roads and 120 KPH cruising with ease!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts