StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am in the midst of replacing my drive train only to find the front sprocket I purchased doesn't fit :confused:. It is a JTF520.15 and, although it is super close, I can't get it onto the drive shaft (OEM comes off and on without any difficulty). JT Sprockets confirmed that it should fit my 2013 DL650A and indicated that they haven't had any other complaints.

Has anyone used this sprocket successfully with a Glee? Is there some trick to getting it to fit - seems straight forward enough from my end but I thought I would ask as this is my first time changing it. Super frustrating as I thought I had all the parts I needed and now I am in limbo as none of my local dealers are open on Mondays :furious:.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Try to take a picture so we can see why it won't go on the driveshaft.

If you lay it directly on top of the removed sprocket, is there a noticeable difference between the two. Maybe there is a little burr or machining remnant that is causing the problem?

Or maybe your counter sprocket shaft is worn or damaged causing the new sprocket to stick?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Well, it is the right part number. I had a JTF520.16 but returned it for the rubber dampened version. Otherwise no difference to OEM. I would also suggest to look at the front of the shaft it goes on, maybe it got nicked and a couple strokes with a file is all it needs to get it to slip on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I support what Hoggs suggested
Run a Ratstail file round both edges.
Carefully
A good tap with block of wood and Hammer
Measure diameter of inside sprocket & shaft first perhaps

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It worked. Issue resolved!

Thanks to everyone who replied with confirmation that it was the correct part and encouragement to try once more. After wrestling with the sprocket again this evening, I managed to get it on and the bike is now back together. Yay :hurray:! I think a couple of factors helped to resolve the issue...

1. There were traces of red thread lock applied by Suzuki on the shaft splines (no nicks or physical damage was visible)
2. My repeated handling of the sprocket transferred grease on the sprocket splines

After carefully scraping off all the thread lock and cleaning the shaft of any debris, I was able to work the sprocket onto the shaft all the way. It wasn't easy-the tolerances are amazingly tight. I believe between the remnants of thread lock and the dry friction of the bare metal on metal, this was sufficient to prevent the sprocket splines meshing with the shaft splines. Thanks again all for the advice. Early in my wrenching "career" but hopefully I'll be able to contribute back to this community at some point in the future .

·
Registered
14,497 Posts
I do believe you've made a contribution by validating the suggestions you got here and making the sprocket work as advertised!
Others may find this thread when they research front sprocket issues.:fineprint:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts